Can Resistive Heaters Fail in Vacuum Due to Reasons Other Than Temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of resistive heaters in a cube-sat project and the recommendation to use Kapton heaters instead of 1D heaters. The advantages of Kapton heaters, such as their wide operating temperature range, tensile strength, and resistance to radiation and chemicals, are mentioned. The issue of the resistors not being designed for use as heaters and the potential failures in vacuum due to limited surface contact for heat transfer are also brought up. Alternatives, such as using heating wires on the PCB, are suggested but may not be feasible due to budget constraints. Ultimately, it is recommended to seek an explanation from experienced individuals before committing to a design.
duhuhu
I am working on a project for a cube-sat to go up on a balloon to 40 km. My team has been talking to some other groups who have worked on other cube-sats who say that our resistive heaters need to be Kapton heaters rather than 1D heaters like what we have designed for. They claim that our heaters will fail in the medium vacuum but haven't given us a reason as to why they would fail.

Through my research and analysis, I have found that we will not come even close to the operational temperature limits of the heaters, nor will we have any vibration that could cause issues with it.

My question is: Have any of you heard of any issues on restive heaters in vacuum unrelated to temperature that could cause the heaters to fail? and what would you recommend we do to mitigate the problem that doesn't require extremely expensive replacements?

The heater in question can be found at: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/riedon/PF1262-15RF1/696-1682-5-ND/2447965

Engineering news on Phys.org
The two issues with using that resistor in a vacuum as a heater are that your heat loss will only go through the interface and not through the back side and your TIM will need to be vacuum stable.

Loss of back side heat loss should only be a problem with high temperatures and wattages.

If your TIM has any volatile active components they will out-gas and leave you with a melted heater.

That said I would want to get an explanation from those with experience in the field as to the details of heater failure before committing to a design.

What is a 1D heater?

BoB

duhuhu said:
. My team has been talking to some other groups who have worked on other cube-sats who say that our resistive heaters need to be Kapton heaters

well, I can see why they are liked by others ...
http://www.bucan.com/en/kapton_heaters

Kapton heaters are ultra-thin, ultra-flexible, semitransparent, lightweight heaters. They derive their name from Kapton, the polyimide film developed by Du Pont that is utilized to encapsulate the heating circuit of these heaters. Kapton heaters can operate within temperatures as low as -320°F and as high as 400°F, and have superior dielectric properties. Kapton heaters exhibit excellent tensile strength, durability, and dimensional stability. These heaters produce uniform heat with rapid heat-up and cool-down characteristics. Kapton heaters can endure radiation, resist many chemicals, and because they are very low in outgassing, they are ideal for vacuum applications. The heating elements of Kapton heaters are produced by chemically etching a resistive circuit in nickel alloy foils. This circuit is encapsulated between two layers of Kapton films utilizing either a Teflon® FEP adhesive or acrylic adhesive. These two adhesives define the thermal characteristics and the cost of Kapton heaters produced.

big advantages
1) wide operating temperature range
2) good tensile strength
3) radiation resistant
4) chemical resistant
5) very low outgassing

almost everything your resistor choice isn't
They are NOT designed to be used as heaters, they are just a plain high power resistorDave

duhuhu said:
My question is: Have any of you heard of any issues on restive heaters in vacuum unrelated to temperature that could cause the heaters to fail? and what would you recommend we do to mitigate the problem that doesn't require extremely expensive replacements?

Both of the issues were already mentioned. First is the casing of the resistor, which might not be ready for vac. Since all the 'cubesat' things are cheap and not meant to operate for too long (so they are mostly built from commercial components), I think this one alone is not a big issue.
Second is the vacuum itself: the spreading of heat is limited to direct contact or radiation only, so the surface available is a critical point. Vaacum is a very good heat insulator.

What you might try to do is to make the PCB with some heating wires. It would require some effort on layout, but has some advantages I think.

rbelli1 said:
What is a 1D heater?
Sorry about that, I should have explained. We call it a 1D heater because my team mate who found it claimed that it was intended to be used as a heater and push heat out in only one direction (The side with the metal contact).
davenn said:
They are NOT designed to be used as heaters, they are just a plain high power resistor
That figures... I was told by the electronics team that it was designed to be a heater. We are trying to avoid the Kapton heaters simply because of the price point. These little ones cost us $2.50 each, and the cheapest Kapton heater we could find was almost $50. I as the thermal guy would love to have those, but its not in the budget unfortunately.

Rive said:
What you might try to do is to make the PCB with some heating wires. It would require some effort on layout, but has some advantages I think.
The our PCB is already going to stay warm enough because of some power converters we have on it. The heaters are for some other low power components on the other side of the cubesat. The plan was to bolt them down directly to the supporting aluminum with some vacuum grade thermal paste and running them at 5W to dump a bit of heat into that side.

duhuhu said:
The plan was to bolt them down directly to the supporting aluminum with some vacuum grade thermal paste and running them at 5W to dump a bit of heat into that side.
If it's correctly planned then this solution is as good (or better) than it would be with any Kapton stuff.

Rive said:
If it's correctly planned then this solution is as good (or better) than it would be with any Kapton stuff.

I would have to strongly disagree with that ... considering the spec's of the Kapton item!

maybe you didn't read the info sheet ??

duhuhu said:
These little ones cost us $2.50 each, and the cheapest Kapton heater we could find was almost $50. I as the thermal guy would love to have those, but its not in the budget unfortunately.

for very short term use, it would be maybe worth considering the resistors. I would be concerned with
will it actually supply enough heat to do the job you need ?

some basic testing ( monitoring) whilst in a very cold vacuum chamber would almost be a requirement
to ensure it does what you want without causing side effects

D

davenn said:
Maybe you didn't read the info sheet ??
I did read the info sheet, thank you.
For this application those film heaters would give only extra problems. To design the affected mechanical part as a heat spreader and fix one or two resistors to it would do nicely for a cube 'sat' on a balloon at 40km.

Rive said:
For this application those film heaters would give only extra problems.

again I strongly disagree with that considering they are designed for this purpose

That alone does not guarantee that it'll perform better in the given environment.

Would it be a real 'sat', designed for 1+ month lifetime, and I would actually agree with you. But it's for a balloon.

It's a waste to cut brick with diamond.

davenn said:
almost everything your resistor choice isn't
They are NOT designed to be used as heaters, they are just a plain high power resistor
Dave
We (and almost everyone else I know in my field) use high power resistors of this type as heaters in our cryogenic systems (which are in much harder vacuum than you would find at 40km altitude) and they work fine. The only thing I would be concerned about would be the reliability after repeated thermal cycling, the plastic body could -in theory- crack. I tend to prefer power resistors with a metal body for this reason.

Likes davenn
f95toli said:
We (and almost everyone else I know in my field) use high power resistors of this type as heaters in our cryogenic systems (which are in much harder vacuum than you would find at 40km altitude) and they work fine.

yup

never said they couldn't ... just said that that WASNT what they are designed to do :smile:

f95toli said:
The only thing I would be concerned about would be the reliability after repeated thermal cycling, the plastic body could -in theory- crack.

yes exactly, and that would be one of my major concerns as well

f95toli said:
I tend to prefer power resistors with a metal body for this reason.

if the OP really wants to use resistors, then yes, that would be my choice as well

Dave

1. What causes electronic issues in vacuum systems?

Electronic issues in vacuum systems can be caused by a variety of factors, including contamination, outgassing of materials, and electrical discharge. Contamination can come from particles or gases that are present in the vacuum environment, while outgassing occurs when materials inside the system release gases that can interfere with electronic components. Electrical discharge can also occur due to high voltages or improper grounding, leading to damage or malfunction of electronic devices.

2. How can electronic issues in vacuum systems be prevented?

To prevent electronic issues in vacuum systems, it is important to maintain a clean and controlled environment. This can be achieved by regularly cleaning and checking for contamination in the system, using materials that have low outgassing properties, and ensuring proper grounding and insulation to prevent electrical discharge. It is also important to follow proper handling and installation procedures for electronic components to avoid damage.

3. What are the common symptoms of electronic issues in vacuum systems?

Some common symptoms of electronic issues in vacuum systems include sudden or intermittent failures of electronic devices, abnormal readings or signals, and increased noise or interference in electronic circuits. These issues can also manifest as degradation or shortened lifespan of electronic components, as well as overall system failures.

4. How can electronic issues in vacuum systems be diagnosed and resolved?

Diagnosing and resolving electronic issues in vacuum systems typically involves a combination of troubleshooting techniques, such as visual inspection, testing and measuring electronic components, and monitoring system performance. It may also be necessary to consult with experts or refer to technical documentation for specific components. Once the issue is identified, it can be resolved by replacing faulty components, cleaning or repairing the system, or implementing preventive measures.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with electronic components in vacuum systems?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when working with electronic components in vacuum systems. These include wearing appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, to avoid contact with hazardous materials or equipment. It is also important to follow proper handling procedures for sensitive electronic components and to be aware of potential hazards, such as electrical discharge or vacuum implosion, when working with vacuum systems.

Back