Can Solving Rubik's Cube be Learned?

• Thread starter Thecla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube
In summary: I don't think anyone couldIn summary, experts believe that solving the Rubik's Cube can be learned by memorizing a few sequences of rotations.
Thecla
Can solving Rubik's Cube be learned?
I see people solving the cube in under 30 seconds.You think these people have some inborn talent in spatial rotation recognition that only geniuses possess.
If someone were to give me a cube that had to be solved in 24 hours to receive a million dollar prize, I don't think I could do it.
With so many different starting positions it seems like it can't be taught to the average person.
You either have the ability or you don't.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thecla said:
Can solving Rubik's Cube be learned?
I see people solving the cube in under 30 seconds.You think these people have some inborn talent in spatial rotation recognition that only geniuses possess.
If someone were to give me a cube that had to be solved in 24 hours to receive a million dollar prize, I don't think I could do it.
With so many different starting positions it seems like it can't be taught to the average person.
You either have the ability or you don't.

Long time ago SciAm ran a piece about the application of group theory to Rubik's cube. They profiled some "cubemeisters" who used special well-oiled competition cubes to solve the puzzle very fast. Don't know if the article's online or not. Didn't find it in a very cursory search, but you can probably do better.

I did find an academic paper on group theory & RC.

http://www.math.harvard.edu/~jjchen/docs/Group Theory and the Rubik's Cube.pdf

(edit) Still couldn't find the original SciAm article, but if you check out the references on Wiki you'll find something. Bottom line, there are definitely theory-based algorithms to solve the cube. What people do is learn an algorithm then practice like crazy so they can operate quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubik's_Cube

I see 7 and 8 year old kids solving the Cube on You Tube. I am sure they know nothing of Group Theory.Who taught these kids? How did they learn?
I also remember the Sci. Am. article in the early 1980s when the Cube was first popular.

How about this? This video has 22 million views:

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.greatnecktools.com/upload/products_images/CP3.jpg
Solution.

These people just memorize an algorithm and develop muscle memory. To me, it's about as impressive as some child listing pi to the 500'th decimal. Sure, that neat, but not useful at all, and certainly no indication of intelligence.

Thecla said:
I see 7 and 8 year old kids solving the Cube on You Tube. I am sure they know nothing of Group Theory.Who taught these kids? How did they learn?
I also remember the Sci. Am. article in the early 1980s when the Cube was first popular.

Its basically a rote memorization formula. You can find a solution formula in the booklet that comes with most rubiks cubes now a days. Its basic and easy. I got to the point where I could solve a cube in about two to three minutes, and that was using the long solution. There are apparently quicker solution methods. And I am certainly nothing near a genius.

It is quite easy. Unless you want to break speed records, you have to memorize something like 4-5 sequences of 10-15 rotations each. You solve the cube by layers, first one face and the "rim" around it, then the middle band, and then the opposite layer with its rim. There are plenty of instructions on how to do that on the web.

The masters memorize about 100 sequences and choose the most efficient ones depending on the configuration of the cube.

The alternative is to use a heap of Lego pieces and your phone.

One can find little books or information on the internet which gives systematic rules for shuffling around two or three cubes without affecting others. These rules tend to involve several steps because of the need to undo side-effects on the other positions. When my kids (who were 14 and 10 at the time) found my old booklet on how to solve it, they memorised most of the steps within a day or so and can normally do the cube in two or three minutes.

Experts use moves with fewer steps which take the side-effects into account but have a more complex effect. Again, they just learn to see the patterns and memorise the moves.

Of course, the process of working out the moves in the first place is much more complicated. The basic principle is that simple moves have big side-effects, so moves that have a simple effect tend to involve several steps, typically preparing the required change, then performing it, then undoing the side-effects by reversing the preparation moves.

I'm going on 29 years of never having solved a Rubik's Cube. I've also never done a backflip. Both, of course, can be learned. If they couldn't, no one could do it.

I knew a guy who could solve it in 13 seconds.
He was practicing and asked everyone to help him practice.

I took a cube out and reversed it.
After 5 seconds he found out and looked stupidly at me for about 5 seconds, since he couldn't believe I had done that. :biggrin:
Then he popped a cube out, reversed it, and finished solving the cube.
It still took him less than 20 seconds!

To put things into perspective, he was studying computer science, but had to stop after a couple of years, since he couldn't complete the courses.

It must be like a complicated game of tic tac toe. When you were a little kid you got all excited, playing many games. A little older, you found out the winning strategy and you lost interest in tic tac toe.
With rhe Cube there are some algorithms to learn. The question becomes not how to solve it, but how fast can you solve it. Like a previous poster said, for record times a lot of muscle memory is involved.

I'm with Jimmy, although my approach would involve explosives rather than a hammer.
I bought a book about how to solve one. Using that book, it still takes me over 5 minutes. One guy in particular, who was in the same SF club with me 30 years ago, could whip up any kind of checkerboard or striped design within a minute. When they came out with "Rubic's Revenge", it took him a very short while to be able to solve it within a minute. It took him a bit longer to make patterns.

I was really fascinated when Will Smith solved it in The Pursuit of Happiness, but after I saw a video on youtube explaining how to do it, and solving it myself in 3 minutes, I realized it has nothing to do with intelligence - just memorizing some algorithms

The answer is, it depends on how you solve it. If you solve it with algorithms, virtually anyone can do it. It's just a series of instructions. Without algorithms, yes, intelligence is required.

But keep in mind that algorithms are like general formulas; they are derived to make things more convenient. Thus, if you solve algorithms, BUT you made them yourself, that is also an indicator of intelligence.

I can only solve two layers effortlessly without using algorithms. For the third layer, I will need to apply commutators and conjugators, which will require quite a bit of thought.

I_noscopedJFK said:
I was really fascinated when Will Smith solved it in The Pursuit of Happiness, but after I saw a video on youtube explaining how to do it, and solving it myself in 3 minutes, I realized it has nothing to do with intelligence - just memorizing some algorithms

Isn't that life though?

Thecla, interesting that you mention 24 hours. The original Scientific American article appeared in the 80's and did not show any moves but discussed the cube in terms of groups and operators. It took me three days, no more than 8 hours a day, to discover operators that would swap edge cubes, rotate edge cubes, swap corner cubes, and rotate corner cubes without affecting any other subcubes. With this set of operations I was able to solve any cube in about 7 minutes. That is, it was possible to solve a cube in less that 24 hours.
Obviously the kids were doing something different but it seemed that this was some innate ability that is lost with age. Lots of kids under 10 were able to solve these. It was not some kind of four sigma savant talent but some common 3D sensitivity. I had a striking demonstration of this. Many years later a 7 year old son of a friend saw a solved Rubik's cube (something he'd never even heard of) on a shelf, picked it up and proceeded out of curiosity to twist faces, perhaps 7 or 8 rotations, enough to totally scramble it for any adult. After a moment's thought he then reversed all the rotations back to the original state and put it back on the shelf and didn't act like it was anything special. This was a fairly bright kid but not some kind of prodigy. There are lots of Rubik/group articles on SciAm.com

Related to Can Solving Rubik's Cube be Learned?

1. How long does it take to learn to solve a Rubik's Cube?

The time it takes to learn to solve a Rubik's Cube varies depending on the individual's ability and dedication. With regular practice and the use of learning resources, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks to master the solution.

2. Is it difficult to learn to solve a Rubik's Cube?

Learning to solve a Rubik's Cube can be challenging, but with patience and persistence, it is definitely achievable. The process involves memorizing algorithms and practicing until they become second nature. It may take some time to get the hang of it, but the sense of accomplishment is worth the effort.

3. Can anyone learn to solve a Rubik's Cube?

Yes, anyone can learn to solve a Rubik's Cube with the right resources and dedication. Age, gender, or background does not play a significant role in the process. As long as an individual is willing to put in the time and effort, they can learn to solve the puzzle.

4. What are some helpful resources for learning to solve a Rubik's Cube?

There are many resources available for learning to solve a Rubik's Cube, such as online tutorials, books, and instructional videos. Some popular methods for solving the cube include the beginner's method, Fridrich method, and the Roux method. It may be helpful to try out different methods and see which one works best for you.

5. Can solving a Rubik's Cube be beneficial for the brain?

Yes, solving a Rubik's Cube can have several cognitive benefits, such as improving spatial reasoning, memory, and problem-solving skills. It also requires focus and concentration, which can help improve overall brain function. Additionally, it can be a fun and challenging way to keep the mind active and engaged.