Can someone confirm this? (About boolean algebra and reduced cost)

In summary, the person was asked to create a simple circuit to detect numbers divisible by 2 or 3. They decided to write a truth table with an output of 1 for numbers not divisible by 2 or 3 and then plotted a karnaugh map. They put an inverter on the output of the last gate to find numbers divisible by 2 or 3. They questioned if their solution was still the simplest form and asked for help with their K-map and final circuit. They also discussed the possibility of using "don't cares" for numbers above 10 and the use of NOT gates in their circuit.
tamtam402
I was asked to make the simplest possible circuit to solve this problem:

for an entry of 0000 to 1001 (0 to 9), detect the numbers that are divisible by 2 or 3. I decided to write the truth table with an output of 1 for functions that are NOT divisible by either 2 or 3, since that seemed like less trouble to me. I plotted the karnaugh map and solved as usual. However, I put an inverter on the output of the last gate since the question was asking to find the numbers that ARE divisible by 2 or 3. Is my solution still in the simplest possible form? If not, why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
tamtam402 said:
I was asked to make the simplest possible circuit to solve this problem:

for an entry of 0000 to 1001 (0 to 9), detect the numbers that are divisible by 2 or 3. I decided to write the truth table with an output of 1 for functions that are NOT divisible by either 2 or 3, since that seemed like less trouble to me. I plotted the karnaugh map and solved as usual. However, I put an inverter on the output of the last gate since the question was asking to find the numbers that ARE divisible by 2 or 3. Is my solution still in the simplest possible form? If not, why not?

Can you show us your K-map and your final circuit? And can you show us what the circuit would look like if you did it the other way instead (implemented the positive output version)?

berkeman said:
Can you show us your K-map and your final circuit? And can you show us what the circuit would look like if you did it the other way instead (implemented the positive output version)?

Sorry I don't have these anymore, I answered the question on an exam. I was simply wondering if finding F' (by switching 0's and 1's in the truth table), then finding a sum of product and finally inverting the last output (since the signal was F' and I wanted F) gave me an equation as good (cost wise) as if I had simply found F directly.

So you detected 0001, 0101 and 0111 and inverted? Since numbers >10 are irrelevant you could use that space on the K-map to come to something like BD + A'C'D - is that what you had before inversion?

Last edited:
Yes that's what I had if I recall correctly. I drew the schematics for the 2 AND gates as well as the OR gate, then I inverted it's output.

edit: I added "don't cares" (that's how we call these, I'm not sure if the name is universal) to numbers from 10 to 15 as you suggested, since these entries are impossible in BCD.

You (should) have a total of three NOTs - using a bit of logic on ((B+A'C')D)' you can get that down to two.

Related to Can someone confirm this? (About boolean algebra and reduced cost)

1) What is boolean algebra?

Boolean algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with logic and set theory. It uses variables, logical operators (AND, OR, NOT), and truth tables to represent and manipulate logical statements.

2) How is boolean algebra used in computer science?

Boolean algebra is used in computer science to design and analyze digital circuits. It is also used in programming to control the flow of logic in a computer program by using conditional statements.

3) What is reduced cost in boolean algebra?

Reduced cost is a term used in linear programming to refer to the decrease in the objective function value when the value of a decision variable is increased by one unit. In boolean algebra, this can be thought of as the cost of changing a logical statement from true to false.

4) Why is reduced cost important in boolean algebra?

Reduced cost is important in boolean algebra because it helps to identify the most efficient way to represent a logical statement. By minimizing the reduced cost, we can reduce the number of logical operations needed and simplify the overall expression.

5) Can someone confirm my understanding of boolean algebra and reduced cost?

It is always a good idea to have someone confirm your understanding of a concept, especially in a technical field like boolean algebra. I would be happy to review your understanding and provide feedback to ensure accuracy and clarity.