Can someone explain this? (bootstrap paradox)

In summary, the bootstrap paradox is a time travel paradox where an object or information is said to have no true origin, as it is constantly being looped through time. This concept can be difficult to understand, so it is often helpful to use examples or facts to make it more interesting and relatable. However, if one cannot explain the paradox in simpler terms, it may indicate a lack of understanding. The triluminary of Babylon 5 is not an example of a bootstrap object.
Varja
Hey!

I am going to do a presentation about the bootstrap paradox in a few weeks and I need some help. I understand what the bootstrap paradox is but I need some help to sum up the theory so that i becomes easy (or at least easier) to understand. If you have any examples or facts that's fun and/or interesting please tell me because I would really appreciate it. So the question is: How am I going to explain the bootstrap paradox in an easier and more fun way without it being an hour long? :alien::atom:

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand what the bootstrap paradox is but I need some help to sum up the theory so that i becomes easy (or at least easier) to understand.
If you cannot do this yourself, you do not understand the paradox.
[edit]... it is a common rule of thumb that you do not understand something until you can explain it to someone else.[edit]

... Bob travels back in time, meets and falls in love with a woman, Alice, there - they settle and have children, Bob and Alice die before or soon after their grandchildren are born, one of their grandchildren is named Bob after his grand-dad. Bob goes on to invent a time machine. Bob travels back in time where he meets and falls in love with a woman, Alice, there - they settle and have children, Bob and Alice die before or soon after their grandchildren are born, one of their grandchildren is named Bob after his...

Is the triluminary of Babylon 5 an example of a bootstrap object?

http://www.astronomytrek.com/the-bootstrap-paradox-explained/

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. What is the bootstrap paradox?

The bootstrap paradox is a paradox in time travel where an object or information is sent back in time and becomes trapped in a causal loop, with no clear origin.

2. Can you give an example of the bootstrap paradox?

One example of the bootstrap paradox is a person receiving a song from the future, then going back in time to become the original composer of the song, with no clear origin of the song.

3. How does the bootstrap paradox challenge the concept of cause and effect?

The bootstrap paradox challenges the concept of cause and effect by creating a loop where the effect is also the cause, making it difficult to determine the true origin of the event.

4. Is the bootstrap paradox possible in real life?

The bootstrap paradox is currently considered to be a theoretical concept, as time travel has not been proven to be possible. However, some scientists believe that if time travel were possible, the bootstrap paradox could potentially occur.

5. What are some proposed explanations for the bootstrap paradox?

Some proposed explanations for the bootstrap paradox include parallel universes, alternate timelines, and the idea that the event simply has no clear origin, existing in a perpetual state of causality loop.