Can someone explain this projection distortion effect

In summary, the conversation discussed the physics behind a projected image being distorted when hitting a wall at an unusual angle, which created an abstract and psychedelic effect. The question was whether this was simply a result of the projector hitting the wall or if there were other factors, such as a prism effect or distortion of the original image. It was concluded that this is a common occurrence in projection and can be recreated using a flashlight. The conversation also touched on creating visual effects using software like Resolume and experimenting with different materials and techniques.
jwilliams77
Hi,
Sorry this is an unusual thread and question, but I figured people here might be able to explain the physics of what is going on in this image

I came across a few images of an underground music club in Berlin where an image of stained glass art you would find in a church is being projected behind a band playing and (I think) it is purposefully distorted by being projected at an unusual angle against a wall to create an abstract/psychedelic "stretching" pattern.

Here is where I'm confused. I'm not sure if I'm massively over thinking this, and this is simply what happens to a projected image when it hits a wall right next to it, and that is what causes it to "stretch", or if there is more going on here, like:

A) Someone placed a small mirror next to the projector/bulb to create a "prism" effect (like the Dark Side of the Moon rainbow)

or

b) The image of the stained glass art is originally stretched/distorted by whoever created it in Photoshop or something, and the projector has little to do with the "stretching" effect

I'm asking because I really like the effect of the image being stretched to look like it's about the jump to "light speed" like in Star Wars, and I'd like to recreate this effect to see what patterns could be generated with other images, and I'm generally curious about the physics involved in the distortion of light/images.

Is this simply what happens when a projected image hits a wall like that? If you were projecting any movie at this angle against a wall, would the actors faces get stretched into "light speed" like this? Or do you think the art/image itself was originally made this way and it has nothing to do with the projector? Or something else?

This is probably the strangest thread ever posted to this forum, and again sorry if it's too off topic

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

Thanks for reading

Likes mister mishka
Physics news on Phys.org
jwilliams77 said:
Is this simply what happens when a projected image hits a wall like that?

simply ... Yes !

note in pic 1 the image on the end wall is normal because the projector is perpendicular to that wall ( at 90 deg)

note in your pic's 2 and 3 that the projector can be seen and the angle between it and the wall is very small ... almost parallel to each other

you could do the same thing at home with a torch ( flashlight) and see the same effect

Dave

Thank you!

Likes davenn
jwilliams77 said:
This is probably the strangest thread ever posted to this forum
The only strange thing here is that you are old enough to get into clubs, but have never noticed this effect so far.

Likes mister mishka and davenn
It's just geometric optics. You can treat light as being cast as a bunch of rays from the projector. Wherever the ray intersects the wall gets illuminated.

Which club in Berlin was this? I at the moment create my own visual films, aiming for places like Griessmuehle or Sisyphus. So visual films to go along with house and techno music. You can do a 3d projection mapping / video manipulation with software like Resolume, but yeah I like the more hands on approach and work with creating visuals from playing with light / live video manipulation (polarizers, diffraction gratings, prisms, lasers, mirrors, surfaces, video feedback delays, etc). If you are interested you can check out some of my work on https://vimeo.com/mistermishka

What is projection distortion effect?

Projection distortion effect is a visual phenomenon that occurs when an image or object is projected onto a surface at an angle or in a non-parallel manner. This results in a distorted or skewed perception of the image or object.

What causes projection distortion effect?

Projection distortion effect is caused by the differences in the angles and distances between the projector and the surface onto which the image or object is being projected. The further away the surface is from the projector, the more distorted the image or object will appear.

How does projection distortion effect affect perception?

The distortion of an image or object caused by projection distortion effect can affect our perception by making the object or image appear stretched, compressed, or skewed. This can lead to misinterpretations or misunderstandings of the object or image being projected.

Can projection distortion effect be corrected?

Yes, projection distortion effect can be corrected by adjusting the angles and distances between the projector and the surface, or by using specialized software or equipment to correct the distortion. However, complete correction may not always be possible, especially with extreme distortion.

In what situations is projection distortion effect commonly encountered?

Projection distortion effect is commonly encountered in various fields such as photography, film-making, and presentation design, where projectors are used to display images or videos onto different surfaces. It can also occur in everyday situations, such as when viewing objects from a distance or at an angle.