Can someone explain this proof to me?

In summary, the conversation is about a geometry problem posted in a forum. The problem involves proving that three points, L, M, and N, are concurrent. The proof given involves using trilinear coordinates and barycentric coordinates. The conversation also includes a discussion on finding more information about these coordinates and the problem itself.
WiFO215
I posted this in the geometry subforum, but I think that might have been the wrong place to post this.

Given two triangles with vertices A1, B1, C1 and A2, B2, C2 respectively. A1A2, B1B2, C1C2 are extended to meet at a point V say. Now, B1C1 and B2C2 are extended to meet at L, A1B1 and A2B2 meet at N and A1C1 and A2C2 meet at M. Prove that L, M and N are concurrent.

Proof (as given in text):

Let A1B1C1 be the reference triangle and V be the unit point (1,1,1). A2 is on the join of A1(1,0,0) and V(1,1,1), so it can be taken as (1+p,1,1). Similarly, the point B2 is given by (1,1+q,1) and C2 by (1,1,1+r).

Now, the line B2C2 is

[tex]\left|\stackrel{\stackrel{x}{1}}{1}\stackrel{\stackrel{y}{1+q}}{1}\stackrel{\stackrel{z}{1}}{1+r} \right|[/tex] = 0.

The point L is given by x = 0, y{1-(1+r)} + z{1 - (1+q)} = 0

i.e. x=0, [tex]\frac{y}{q} + \frac{z}{r}[/tex] = 0

Therefore, L lies on the line [tex]\frac{x}{p}+ \frac{y}{q}+ \frac{z}{r}[/tex] = 0. By symmetry, so do M and N.

Hence proved

From start to finish, I can't get it. Can someone please explain to me what all this means?

For the diagram that goes with the proof, please refer to my topic in the geometry section

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=345248

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi anirudh215! :smile:
anirudh215 said:
Let A1B1C1 be the reference triangle and V be the unit point (1,1,1). A2 is on the join of A1(1,0,0) and V(1,1,1), so it can be taken as (1+p,1,1). Similarly, the point B2 is given by (1,1+q,1) and C2 by (1,1,1+r).

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21094&d=1255422239"

Sorry, I don't understand this at all :redface:

how are A B and C (1,0,0) etc? and why is V (1,1,1)? and what's a "reference triangle"? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly what I want to know! I saw this in a geometry book entitled "Teaching of Higher Geometry in schools - A report for the Mathematical Association" Published by Bell and Sons. I've been blinking over many proofs in this text. What gets me down is it says it's for high school students!

mathworld and archive.org

hmm … that's at http://openlibrary.org/b/OL6159907M/teaching_of_higher_geometry_in_schools", but with no preview … why are you looking at a book published in 1953? :confused:

This proof seems to be using trilinear coordinates … see Eric W. Weisstein's http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ReferenceTriangle.html" :smile:

You can find downloadable books on "trilinear coordinates" (or any subject!) by doing a search at archive.org … see http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=trilinear AND mediatype:texts"

tiny-tim said:
hmm … that's at http://openlibrary.org/b/OL6159907M/teaching_of_higher_geometry_in_schools", but with no preview … why are you looking at a book published in 1953? :confused:

Heh. I found it on my prof's shelf, and while he made me wait in his office (as all professors do), I picked up this one and began reading it. It had a few very cool proofs. This one was so intriguing, I just HAD TO find out about it.

So I did find out about it. It's not trilinear co ordinates but is something that is called barycentric co-ordinates. If you are also interested, you can find out more about it from H.M. Coxeter, Introduction to Geometry, page 216. This is damn interesting!

Oops. Well, I don't know what trilinear coordinates are either, so I thought you'd made a mistake. Sorry. But that's basically it. Now how does one explain the problem?

anirudh215 said:
Now how does one explain the problem?

erm :redface: … one (ie you) looks at mathworld and wikipedia and the archive.org free books until one has it! :wink:

and then one explains it to everyone here! :smile:

Will do! :)

1. How does this proof work?

The proof is a logical argument that uses established rules and principles to demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem. It typically begins with a set of assumptions and uses deductive reasoning to arrive at a conclusion. To understand a proof, it is important to familiarize yourself with the relevant mathematical concepts and notation.

2. Why is this proof necessary?

Proofs are necessary in mathematics and science to provide evidence for the validity of a statement or theorem. They allow us to confidently use mathematical concepts and theories to solve problems and make predictions. Without proofs, there would be no way to verify the accuracy of our mathematical knowledge.

3. Can you break down the steps of the proof for me?

It is often helpful to break down a proof into smaller steps to better understand the logic behind it. This can involve identifying the key assumptions, definitions, and theorems used in the proof, as well as the reasoning behind each step. It may also be helpful to work through a simple example or to visualize the concepts being proven.

4. How can I improve my understanding of proofs?

To improve your understanding of proofs, it is important to practice and familiarize yourself with a variety of proof techniques, such as direct proofs, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and working with a tutor or study group can also aid in understanding and mastering proofs.

5. Are there any common mistakes to look out for when reading a proof?

When reading a proof, it is important to be aware of potential mistakes, such as errors in logic, incorrect use of notation, or incorrect assumptions. It can also be helpful to double-check the steps and make sure they follow the correct order. If you are having trouble understanding a particular step, it may be helpful to consult with a peer or instructor for clarification.