Can someone explain to me what's the Schrodingers cat?

• B
  • Thread starter DeltaForce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, Schrodingers cat is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics where a cat is placed in a sealed box with a radioactive substance that has a 50% chance of decaying and releasing a poisonous gas. Until the box is opened, the cat is considered to be both alive and dead at the same time, representing the concept of superposition in quantum mechanics. This experiment raises questions about the nature of reality and the role of the observer in determining the outcome of a quantum system.
DeltaForce
Hi, I'm new to this thread. My brother tried to explain the Schrodinger's cat to me but the explanation was vague, I became confused. Can someone explain to me in high schooler language what it is and how it works? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried looking on Wikipedia or at other sources (that may be more clear than your brother)? Try reading through the Wikipedia article and then ask any specific questions you still may have? :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_cat

Last edited:
Likes StevieTNZ
DeltaForce said:
Hi, I'm new to this thread. My brother tried to explain the Schrodinger's cat to me but the explanation was vague, I became confused. Can someone explain to me in high schooler language what it is and how it works? Thanks in advance.
A good book in general, to get an understanding of quantum mechanics which underpins the cat thought experiment, is 'Sneaking a Look at God's Cards' - https://www.amazon.com/dp/069113037X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes berkeman
DeltaForce said:
My brother tried to explain the Schrodinger's cat to me but the explanation was vague, I became confused. Can someone explain to me in high schooler language what it is and how it works? Thanks in advance.
I will give it a try with the help of a Sixty Symbols video. :smile:

In quantum mechanics, objects can be in a so-called superposition of states, which is sort of a mixture of different states. However when they are measured, i.e. interacts with the environment, objects are found to be in a particular state and never in a mixture of states. The process of going from a superposition to a particular state is called wave function collapse. The Schrödinger's cat, which is a thought experiment, is taking this idea up to a macroscopic level (which in the case with the cat can not be done in reality1) in order to describe the counterintuitive process of going from a superposition of states to a particular state.

1 Nowadays, there are however a number of experiments that have managed to put large objects in superposition, though the objects have not been as large as cats.

Here is a video from Sixty Symbols about the Shrödinger's cat thought experiment:

DennisN said:
I will give it a try with the help of a Sixty Symbols video. :smile:

In quantum mechanics, objects can be in a so-called superposition of states, which is sort of a mixture of different states. However when they are measured, i.e. interacts with the environment, objects are found to be in a particular state and never in a mixture of states. The process of going from a superposition to a particular state is called wave function collapse.

Please do note that decoherence, which is the system (e.g. the cat) interacting with the environment, is in principle still in a superposition. That means in the thought experiment, the cat is NOT either dead or alive after decoherence, rather, as quantum mechanics predicts, a superposition of alive and dead.

Likes Lord Jestocost
StevieTNZ said:
Please do note that decoherence, which is the system (e.g. the cat) interacting with the environment, is in principle still in a superposition..

The cat is not in a superposition - it is in a mixed state. It is entangled with the radioactive source. The system radioactive source and cat is in a superposition, but each part is in a mixed state.

Thanks
Bill

Likes StevieTNZ
Here

Attachments

• Schrodinger_1935_cat.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 186

1. What is Schrodinger's cat?

Schrodinger's cat is a thought experiment proposed by physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1935 to explain the concept of quantum superposition. It involves a hypothetical scenario where a cat is placed in a sealed box with a radioactive substance that has a 50% chance of decaying and releasing a poisonous gas. According to quantum mechanics, until the box is opened and observed, the cat exists in a state of both alive and dead, known as superposition.

2. How does Schrodinger's cat relate to quantum mechanics?

Schrodinger's cat is used to illustrate the concept of superposition, which is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics. It suggests that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously until they are observed or measured, at which point they will collapse into a single state. This is known as the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics.

3. Is Schrodinger's cat a real experiment?

No, Schrodinger's cat is a thought experiment and has never been conducted in reality. It was proposed by Schrodinger to highlight the strange and counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics.

4. What is the significance of Schrodinger's cat?

Schrodinger's cat is significant in the field of quantum mechanics as it is a popular and accessible way to explain the principles of superposition and the role of observation in the quantum world. It also sparked further debate and exploration into the interpretation of quantum mechanics.

5. Can Schrodinger's cat be applied to larger objects?

No, Schrodinger's cat is a thought experiment that applies to particles at the quantum level. The principles of superposition and observation do not apply to larger objects in the same way, as they are governed by classical mechanics.