Can someone give a simple explanation of quadratic residues?

In summary, To determine if a number is a quadratic residue mod n, we need to take the numbers k from 0 to n-1 and find the remainders when k^2 is divided by n. The numbers that are found to be quadratic residues are those that are congruent to the remainders found, while those that are not congruent to the remainders are quadratic non-residues. This method can be used for any number n, but it is only necessary to take k values from 0 to $\lfloor\frac{n-1}{2}\rfloor$ due to symmetry.
Terry1
Hi,

This is not coursework, just private study.

Ok, I understand that q is a quadratic residue MOD n if x^2 = q MOD n

What I don't understand is how to figure this out?

I read a paper that states "8 is a quadratic residue mod 17, since 5^2 = 8 MOD 17", fair enough.
It then goes on to state that "8 is a quadratic nonresidue mod 11, because x^2 = 8 MOD 11 has no solutions"

How do we know there are no solutions?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Terry said:
Hi,

This is not coursework, just private study.

Ok, I understand that q is a quadratic residue MOD n if x^2 = q MOD n

What I don't understand is how to figure this out?

I read a paper that states "8 is a quadratic residue mod 17, since 5^2 = 8 MOD 17", fair enough.
It then goes on to state that "8 is a quadratic nonresidue mod 11, because x^2 = 8 MOD 11 has no solutions"

How do we know there are no solutions?

Thanks

To find if a number is quadratic residue mod x we need to take the numbers k from 0 to x-1 and find

$k^2\,mod\,$ and this shall be a quadratic residue
but because of symmetry as $n^2= (-n)^2$ we need to take k from 0 to $\lfloor\dfrac{x-1}{2}\rfloor$

the numbers we find in above from 0 to n-1 (0 and 1 are always there) are quadratic residue and that are not there are quadratic non residue

for example $0^2 = 0\,mod \, 3$
$1^2 = 1\,mod \, 3$
$2^2 = 1\,mod \, 3$ ( same are 1)
so 0 and 1 are quadratic residue mod 3 but 2 is not quadratic residue

Last edited:
Thanks kaliprasad.

Let's see if I have understood correctly...

From what you explained would I be right in saying {0, 1, 3, 4, 9, 10, 12} are quadratic residues MOD 13
and {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 13, 16, 18} are quadratic residues MOD 23?

Many thanks,

Terry

Terry said:
Thanks kaliprasad.

Let's see if I have understood correctly...

From what you explained would I be right in saying {0, 1, 3, 4, 9, 10, 12} are quadratic residues MOD 13
and {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 13, 16, 18} are quadratic residues MOD 23?

Many thanks,

Terry

right

1. What is a quadratic residue?

A quadratic residue is a number that, when squared and divided by a given positive integer, leaves a remainder that is a perfect square.

2. Why are quadratic residues important?

Quadratic residues have many applications in mathematics, particularly in number theory and cryptography. They are also used in various algorithms and in the study of quadratic forms.

3. Can you give an example of a quadratic residue?

Yes, for the number 10, the quadratic residues are 1, 4, and 9. When squared and divided by 10, they leave remainders of 1, 4, and 9, respectively, which are all perfect squares.

4. How do you calculate quadratic residues?

To calculate quadratic residues, you can use the Legendre symbol, which is a number theoretic function that determines whether a given number is a quadratic residue modulo a prime number. There are also other methods, such as using quadratic reciprocity or quadratic Gauss sums.

5. Are all numbers quadratic residues?

No, not all numbers are quadratic residues. In fact, for a given positive integer, only half of the numbers are quadratic residues and the other half are non-quadratic residues.