If a and b are both quadratic residues/nonresidues mod p & q

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the equation x^2 = ab (mod pq) where a and b are not divisible by p or q. The use of Legendre symbols and the Chinese remainder theorem are explored, leading to the conclusion that there are multiple solutions to the equation. The conversation ends with a hint to find these solutions by considering the factors of x^2 - ab (mod n).
sunnyceej

Homework Statement

If a and b are both quadratic residues/nonresidues mod p & q where p and q are distinct odd primes and a and b are not divisible by p or q, Then x2 = ab (mod pq)

Homework Equations

Legendre symbols: (a/p) = (b/p) and (a/q) = (b/q)
quadratic residue means x2 = a (mod p)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that since (a/p) = (b/p) and (a/q) = (b/q) that (ab/p) = 1 and (ab/q) = 1 (ab is a quadratic residue for both mod p and mod q). So I have x12=ab(mod p) and x22=ab(mod q).

The Chinese remainder theorem takes me in circles, and since I can't guarantee x12= x22, then I can't just multiply p and q and call it good. I've spent hours trying to find a counter example since I can't figure out how to combine p and q into the same mod. So I'm stuck. any hints on what to look at for either a proof or counterexample?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##n = pq## where ##p## and ##q## are odd primes. You wish to solve:

$$x^2 \equiv ab \space \text{mod n}$$

From the information given, the above equation takes the form:

$$x^2 - ab \equiv 0 \space \text{mod n}$$

$$\Rightarrow (x - ab)(x + ab) \equiv 0 \space \text{mod n}$$

So we know:

$$(x - ab) \equiv 0 \space \text{mod n}$$
$$(x + ab) \equiv 0 \space \text{mod n}$$

How many solutions can you see? Some of them will be relatively straightforward, then you need to do the old switcheroo.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for a number to be a quadratic residue/nonresidue mod p and q?

Quadratic residues and nonresidues are terms used in modular arithmetic. In this context, a quadratic residue mod p and q refers to a number that has a square root that is also a whole number when divided by both p and q. A quadratic nonresidue, on the other hand, does not have a square root that is a whole number when divided by both p and q.

2. How do you determine if a number is a quadratic residue/nonresidue mod p and q?

To determine if a number is a quadratic residue or nonresidue mod p and q, you can use the Legendre symbol. The Legendre symbol is defined as (a/p) where a is the number and p is the prime number. If the Legendre symbol is equal to 1, then a is a quadratic residue mod p. If the symbol is equal to -1, then a is a quadratic nonresidue mod p.

3. Can a number be a quadratic residue mod p but a nonresidue mod q?

Yes, it is possible for a number to be a quadratic residue mod one prime number (p) but a nonresidue mod another prime number (q). This is because the properties of quadratic residues and nonresidues are specific to the prime number being used in the modular arithmetic.

4. What are the applications of quadratic residues/nonresidues?

Quadratic residues and nonresidues have many applications in number theory and cryptography. They are used in encryption algorithms such as RSA and in primality testing. They also have applications in coding theory and error-correcting codes.

5. Are there any patterns or relationships between quadratic residues/nonresidues mod p and q?

There are several patterns and relationships between quadratic residues and nonresidues mod p and q. One example is that if p and q are both congruent to 3 mod 4, then the product pq will have more quadratic residues than nonresidues. Additionally, the quadratic residues mod pq are related to the quadratic residues mod p and q individually.