Can someone please explain Feynman's index notation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of notation and indices in expressing equations in physics, particularly in relation to the work of Richard Feynman. Some parts of Vol II, Chapter 25 are deemed unreadable due to confusion over notation and index placement. The conversation explores the use of repeated indices, the distinction between covariant and contravariant components, and the Einstein summation convention. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that while the notation used by Feynman may be less versatile, it is still worth understanding in order to read different texts in physics."
etotheipi
I found some parts of Vol II, Chapter 25 basically unreadable, because I can't figure out his notation. AFAICT he's using a (+,-,-,-) metric, but these equations don't really make any sense:

1605461954420.png

The first one is fine, and so is the second so long as we switch out ##a_{\mu} b_{\mu}## for ##a_{\mu} b^{\mu}##. But I'm pretty certain the second one should be$$\nabla_{\mu} = (\partial_t, \partial_x, \partial_y, \partial_z) = (\partial_t, \nabla)$$whilst the fifth should be$$\nabla_{\mu} a^{\mu} = \partial_t a^t + \partial_x a^x + \partial_y a^y + \partial_z a^z = \partial_t a_t - \partial_x a_x - \partial_y a_y - \partial_z a_z = \partial_t a_t - \nabla \cdot \mathbf{a}$$and finally the sixth is okay, but again only so long as we switch out ##\nabla_{\mu} \nabla_{\mu}## for ##\nabla_{\mu} \nabla^{\mu}##.

One might argue that he's put everything downstairs to avoid confusion (!), but given that index placement is of such importance when we have a metric that is not the identity, I wonder if there's a subtlety to his notation that I missed? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
He's not using the metric explicitly, but making it implicit in his expressions. So he can use all-lower indices because he doesn't use raising and lowering explicitly. Note that his expressions for inner products and the gradient operator work out the same as more standard notation in component terms, but only because he's put the signs in by hand.

I don't think I've read Feynman's take on relativity, certainly not in a long time, but if memory serves @vanhees71 always comments that the mathematical presentation is one of the few bits where he think Feynman mis-stepped.

Likes etotheipi
What is ##\partial_t## if not ##\dfrac{\partial}{\partial t}##?

The german Wiki page about Einstein notation notes both versions: ##a_\mu b_\mu=a_\mu b^\mu##:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einsteinsche_Summenkonvention
as with and without index position.

I think it makes perfectly sense.

@fresh_42 but the objects ##\partial_{\mu} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}## and ##\partial^{\mu} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{\mu}}## are different. And also, I believe repeated indices should be summed over one upstairs and one downstairs, so ##a_{\mu} b^{\mu}## is valid, whilst ##a_{\mu} b_{\mu}## isn't.

Well, certainly this is not Einstein notation so, how is the notation defined? What it means to have repeated indexes, etc...

If these equations are supposed to be definitions, there's nothing you can do about it, and they seem to perfectly coherent.

Likes etotheipi
Right, thanks! So, in this context, do all the ##a_{\mu}## refer to contravariant components?

I think it doesn't make a difference whether you think of them as contravariant or covariant, and Feynman isn't distinguishing. He'd only need to distinguish if he were making his metric explicit.

What I don't like is how ##a_\mu b_\mu## and ##\nabla_\mu a_\mu## work differently. In one case the minus signs seem to be part of the operator while in the other they seem to be part of the operation.

Likes stevendaryl and etotheipi
etotheipi said:
@fresh_42 but the objects ##\partial_{\mu} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}## and ##\partial^{\mu} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{\mu}}## are different. And also, I believe repeated indices should be summed over one upstairs and one downstairs, so ##a_{\mu} b^{\mu}## is valid, whilst ##a_{\mu} b_{\mu}## isn't.
As I said, both is possible. It is an abbreviation and convention anyway, nothing written in stone. Look at the link I gave: they mention both notations. As long as there is only one summation, confusion can be excluded. It becomes important with multiple indices, not with one. The more as it is explained in the first line.

Likes etotheipi
Ibix said:
What I don't like is how ##a_\mu b_\mu## and ##\nabla_\mu a_\mu## work differently. In one case the minus signs seem to be part of the operator while in the other they seem to be part of the operation.

I think what he's going for, is something like$$\begin{align*}\nabla_{\mu} a_{\mu} &= \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t} a_t \right) - \left(-\frac{\partial}{\partial x} a_x \right) - \left(-\frac{\partial}{\partial y} a_y \right) - \left(-\frac{\partial}{\partial z} a_z \right) \\

&= \frac{\partial a_t}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial a_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial a_y}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial a_z}{\partial z}\end{align*}$$I don't like the notation anyway, so I think I'll try to forget about it :-p

etotheipi said:
I think what he's going for, is something like$$\begin{align*}\nabla_{\mu} a_{\mu} &= \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t} a_t \right) - \left(-\frac{\partial}{\partial x} a_x \right) - \left(-\frac{\partial}{\partial y} a_y \right) - \left(-\frac{\partial}{\partial z} a_z \right) \\

&= \frac{\partial a_t}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial a_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial a_y}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial a_z}{\partial z}\end{align*}$$I don't like the notation anyway, so I think I'll try to forget about it :-p
I wouldn't do that. It might mean that you cannot read a couple of books. Indices are very important in physics, but you cannot determine how different authors use(d) them.

Likes etotheipi
fresh_42 said:
I wouldn't do that. It might mean that you cannot read a couple of books. Indices are very important in physics, but you cannot determine how different authors use(d) them.

Perhaps, but I think the Einstein summation convention with proper index placement and whatnot is so prevalent nowadays that it's not worth stressing about this more obscure (and probably less versatile) notation.

etotheipi said:
Perhaps, but I think the Einstein summation convention with proper index placement and whatnot is so prevalent nowadays that it's not worth stressing about this more obscure (and probably less versatile) notation.
Well, Einstein was of different opinion than you. He used both.

Here is the original from 1918:

1605467543738.png
"For this we introduce the rule: If an index occurs twice in a term of an expression, it must always be summed up, unless the opposite is expressly noted.
Following Ricci and Levi-Civita, the contravariant character is indicated by the upper and the covariant by the lower index."

Since co- and contravariance is only determined by its transformation rules, there is no way to decide whether your equations above refer to either of them. As written, they are simply vectors, neither co- nor contravariant.

Likes etotheipi
Ibix said:
I don't think I've read Feynman's take on relativity, certainly not in a long time, but if memory serves @vanhees71 always comments that the mathematical presentation is one of the few bits where he think Feynman mis-stepped.
Yes, that's a nuissance. I don't understand, why Feynman is doing this. The only other thing which is really wrong in his famous lectures (as far as I'm aware of) is the relativistic treatment of the DC conducting wire, but that's done wrong in almost all textbooks I know of. See

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/relativistic-treatment-of-the-dc-conducting-straight-wire/

and the AJP paper by Peters quoted therein.

1. What is Feynman's index notation?

Feynman's index notation is a mathematical notation system used in physics to represent and manipulate multi-dimensional quantities, such as vectors and tensors. It was developed by physicist Richard Feynman to simplify complex calculations in quantum mechanics.

2. How does Feynman's index notation differ from other mathematical notations?

Feynman's index notation differs from other notations, such as vector and matrix notation, by using a single index to represent multiple dimensions. This allows for more efficient and concise representation of equations and calculations.

3. What are the benefits of using Feynman's index notation?

One of the main benefits of using Feynman's index notation is that it simplifies and streamlines complex mathematical calculations, making them easier to understand and work with. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of physical concepts in quantum mechanics.

4. Can Feynman's index notation be applied to any type of problem in physics?

While Feynman's index notation was originally developed for use in quantum mechanics, it can also be applied to other areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and general relativity. However, it may not always be the most efficient or appropriate notation for every problem.

5. Are there any limitations to using Feynman's index notation?

One limitation of Feynman's index notation is that it may not be as easily understandable for those who are not familiar with it. It also may not be the most efficient notation for certain types of calculations, and in some cases, other notations may be more suitable. Additionally, it may not always be applicable to every problem in physics.