Can somone explain this review solution (moments/inertia)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the justification for multiplying 1/3 by the first term in the fourth line of a problem involving the center of inertia of a rod. The correct axis for this calculation is also clarified, and it is explained that the 1/3 and factor 2 are due to two sides rotating around one endpoint, while the middle bar contributes just the term mr2.
whitejac

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

This would be the part I think I'm missing

The Attempt at a Solution

In the fourth line, Ix, where is the justification for multiplying 1/3 by the first term? I believe they are using the center of inertia of a rod, which is mr2 and the first term doesn't make much sense. Could someone explain to me the justification of that line?

Physics news on Phys.org
whitejac said:
In the fourth line, Ix, where is the justification for multiplying 1/3 by the first term?
There seems to be some confusion over the axes. They must mean Iy.
The part that matters is just the three sides of length 0.2m. Two of them are rotating about one endpoint, hence the 1/3 and the factor 2 at the front. The middle bar is parallel to the axis, so just mr2 for that piece.

1. What is a moment and how is it related to inertia?

A moment is a measure of the tendency of an object to rotate about a fixed point. It is related to inertia because the greater the moment of an object, the harder it is to change its rotational motion, which is a property of inertia.

2. Why is it important to understand moments and inertia?

Understanding moments and inertia is important in order to analyze and predict the motion of objects, especially in rotational systems. It is also crucial in engineering and design, as it helps in the proper distribution of weight and forces in structures.

3. What is the formula for calculating moments and inertia?

The formula for calculating moments is M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the fixed point. The formula for calculating inertia is I = m x r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. Can you provide an example of a moment and inertia in real life?

A common example of a moment and inertia in real life is a seesaw. The further away a person sits from the center, the greater their moment and the harder it is to change the rotational motion. Inertia can also be observed when trying to spin a heavy object, such as a bowling ball, compared to a lighter one, such as a tennis ball.

5. How can moments and inertia be used to improve efficiency in machines?

In machines, moments and inertia can be used to optimize the design and reduce friction. By understanding the moments and inertia of different parts, engineers can distribute weight and forces in a way that minimizes the effort needed to move the machine, leading to increased efficiency and performance.