Can sunglasses fully protect against UV sensitivity?

• B
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelengths
In summary, photochromic lenses darken under UV light, but some sunglasses are polycarbonate and inherently block UVB radiation.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I know quality sunglasses *block* UVA and UVB, but what wavelength are they *sensitive* to?
Is there a 1:1 correlation between the wavelengths that a given pair of quality sunglasses blocks and the wavelength that trigger the photochemical change?

For example: if I know my wife I am particularly sensitive to UVB light, and my wife's my sunglasses only darken under UVA light, then I could be getting exposed to UVB light unwittingly.

(Although I guess that would make for a pretty darned useless - and a falsely advertized - product. Which means I guess I answered my own question.)While I'm on the subject: can UV light pass through a car (side) window? If (someone I know) is regularly developing a rash (in the space of ten minutes) from light falling on her skin through a car window, is that likely UV exposure, or is it possible that skin can be sensitive to visible light wavelengths? (Maybe I should move this last question to Medical & Biology.)

Physics news on Phys.org
hutchphd said:
This seems to indicate that UVA (315-400nm and the least harmful) is the only one that has any significant transmission.

(my annotations in red)

1690914434590.png

DaveC426913 said:
quality sunglasses ... what wavelength are they *sensitive* to?
... the wavelength that trigger the photochemical change?
my sunglasses only darken under UVA light, ...

"Photochemical change" and "darkening under UVA light" is typical for photochromic sunglasses. Are you perhaps using the word "quality" as a synonym for "photochromic"?

Orthoceras said:
Are you perhaps using the word "quality" as a synonym for "photochromic"?
Sure. I simply mean to head off digression into the consequences of sunglasses that are simply tinted or whatever.

Many sunglasses have polycarbonate lenses. Polycarbonate inherently blocks UVA and UVB (cutoff at 400 nm). The unrelated phenomenon of photochromism occurs in a specific lens coating. It can be induced by visible violet and by ultraviolet.

(Fun experiment: a photochromic polycarbonate lens does not darken when held backwards in sunlight)

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Haha
Likes berkeman, Rive and DaveC426913
DaveC426913 said:
TL;DR Summary: I know quality sunglasses *block* UVA and UVB, but what wavelength are they *sensitive* to?

Is there a 1:1 correlation between the wavelengths that a given pair of quality sunglasses blocks and the wavelength that trigger the photochemical change?
Just a remark. It's nice to have the excess intensity of visible light reduced, but with the stray UV factored in it's also potentially harmful since the pupils gets unnaturally extended, wide open for any UV bypassing around the edges of the sunglasses.

I don't think it would be anything dangerous for a simple photocromatic lens, but it tells a story that - for example - those fancy round sunglasses are NOT recommended for climbing, sailing or for any UV-intensive environment.

When it matters the edge of device sticks to the skin and does not let any stray UV in.

1549966155-37094700.jpg

(random 'climbing sunglass' from the internet)

Likes DaveC426913
Orthoceras said:
(Fun experiment: a photochromic polycarbonate lens does not darken when held backwards in sunlight)
I will try that!

Likes hutchphd

1. Can all sunglasses protect against UV sensitivity?

No, not all sunglasses can protect against UV sensitivity. Only sunglasses that are specifically designed to block out UV rays can provide this protection. It is important to look for sunglasses that are labeled as "UV400" or "100% UV protection" to ensure they will effectively block out harmful UV rays.

2. How do sunglasses protect against UV sensitivity?

Sunglasses protect against UV sensitivity by blocking out UV rays from reaching your eyes. Most sunglasses have a special coating on the lenses that filters out UV rays, or the lenses may be made from materials that naturally block UV rays.

3. Can wearing sunglasses prevent eye damage from UV sensitivity?

Yes, wearing sunglasses can help prevent eye damage from UV sensitivity. Prolonged exposure to UV rays can cause damage to the eyes, including cataracts and macular degeneration. By wearing sunglasses that block out UV rays, you can reduce your risk of developing these conditions.

4. Do all sunglasses provide the same level of UV protection?

No, not all sunglasses provide the same level of UV protection. Some may only block out a small percentage of UV rays, while others may block out 100%. It is important to look for sunglasses that offer 100% UV protection to ensure your eyes are fully protected.

5. Are expensive sunglasses better at protecting against UV sensitivity?

Not necessarily. The price of sunglasses does not necessarily determine their effectiveness at protecting against UV sensitivity. It is important to look for sunglasses that are labeled as offering 100% UV protection, regardless of their price. However, more expensive sunglasses may offer additional features such as polarization or anti-glare coatings, which can provide added benefits for your eyes.