Can the Graviton be faster than light?

In summary: OK, but during the period when the information about the transition is propagating past B, the field will not point to the retarded position. In the E&M case, I believe it will point to the current linearly extrapolated position, and in the gravitational case to the quadratically extrapolated position. (I could be getting some details wrong.)
marcgrissz
Hello everyone,
I was thinking of the 4 forces and in particular of the gravity force.
We know that black holes and their gravity force can bend light and light gets lost on black holes.
How can the ipothetic particle of the graviton interact with the photon?
I thought that if the interaction is real, the graviton must be not only faster than light to perceive the mass, but it also has to be smaller and photons should be able to interchange gravitons.
I must be wrong, I know, but could anyone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
marcgrissz said:
I thought that if the interaction is real, the graviton must be not only faster than light to perceive the mass, but it also has to be smaller
Particles do not have a size in the classical sense. No, hypothetical gravitons would not be faster than light, and I don't see why you would expect that.
marcgrissz said:
and photons should be able to interchange gravitons.
Right.

mfb said:
Particles do not have a size in the classical sense. No, hypothetical gravitons would not be faster than light, and I don't see why you would expect that.
Right.
The idea that some peace of rock in the universe is interacting with my shoe, for example, makes me thinking of some velocity faster than light.

marcgrissz said:
The idea that some peace of rock in the universe is interacting with my shoe, for example, makes me thinking of some velocity faster than light.
Your shoe won't react to the current position of that rock. It will react according to the position where the rock was at some point in the past (which depends on its distance).

mfb said:
Your shoe won't react to the current position of that rock. It will react according to the position where the rock was at some point in the past (which depends on its distance).

Actually this is not quite right. The shoe will react to the field that has propagated to it from the rock at previous times. However, the field does not actually point toward the retarded position of the rock. It points toward the quadratically extrapolated current position of the rock. A similar but easier example comes from E&M; the electric field of a moving charge points toward the charge's current linearly extrapolated position. For the gravitational case, see Carlip, http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9909087v2 . I have a description of the E&M version in section 10.4 of my SR book: http://www.lightandmatter.com/sr/ .

I didn't include velocity as this makes it more complicated. My point was the non-instantaneous action.

mfb said:
I didn't include velocity as this makes it more complicated. My point was the non-instantaneous action.

I don't see how the non-instantaneous action can make any difference in a frame where the source is at rest.

Well, you can leave an object 1 light year away at position A for a year, then move it one light-hour in some direction during roughly an hour, then leave it at position B for a year. For one year we'll see no change. After that year, we'll see a short transition period, and then the effect of the object at rest at B.

mfb said:
Well, you can leave an object 1 light year away at position A for a year, then move it one light-hour in some direction during roughly an hour, then leave it at position B for a year. For one year we'll see no change. After that year, we'll see a short transition period, and then the effect of the object at rest at B.

OK, but during the period when the information about the transition is propagating past B, the field will not point to the retarded position. In the E&M case, I believe it will point to the current linearly extrapolated position, and in the gravitational case to the quadratically extrapolated position. (I could be getting some details wrong.)

Could be, but that's still a short transition period where the pointing is off in some way.

1. Can the Graviton travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. This includes particles such as the Graviton, which is a hypothetical particle that carries the force of gravity. Therefore, it is currently believed that the Graviton cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

2. Is there any evidence that the Graviton can travel faster than light?

At this time, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that the Graviton can travel faster than light. In fact, many experiments and observations have consistently shown that the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe.

3. Could the Graviton be used to create a faster-than-light propulsion system?

While the idea of using the Graviton to achieve faster-than-light travel may seem appealing, it is currently not possible. The laws of physics do not allow for the manipulation of the speed of light or the creation of a propulsion system that can exceed the speed of light.

4. Why is it important to determine if the Graviton can travel faster than light?

Understanding the properties and limitations of the Graviton is crucial for our understanding of gravity and the fundamental forces of the universe. It could also potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in physics.

5. Are there any theories that suggest the Graviton can travel faster than light?

While there are some theories that propose the existence of particles that can travel faster than light, such as tachyons, these are still highly speculative and have not been supported by scientific evidence. Currently, the concept of a faster-than-light Graviton is not widely accepted in the scientific community.