Can the group velocity be understood intuitively using the dispersion relation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of group velocity in relation to the dispersion relation and group velocity formula, v=dω/dκ. The group velocity is the propagation speed of the envelope function and can be understood as the rate of change of frequency with respect to a change in the wave vector. This can be difficult to visualize, but the phase velocity is easier to understand. The group velocity can be further understood through mathematical proof and without reference to beats.
TheForce
While studying the brillouin zone I came across the dispersion relation and the group velocity. The group velocity is given by v=dω/dκ, I understand this in the sense of beats where it is Δω/Δκ and I understand that the group velocity is the propagation speed of the envelope function.
However I don't understand why it can be said to be the rate of change of frequency as a function of a change in the wave vector (using the dispersion relation). The units work out but I just can't seem to picture it. However the phase velocity makes perfect sense to me. Any way to intuitively understand this would be appreciated. Maybe some kind of mathematical proof without referring to beats would help.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the motion of the maximum of a (very broad) wavepacket constructed from crystal momentum eigenstates k centered around k_0 with mean Delta k in the limit Delta k to 0.

What is group velocity confusion?

Group velocity confusion refers to the phenomenon in which the group velocity of a wave appears to be greater than the speed of light, leading to confusion and misunderstandings about the behavior of waves.

Why does group velocity confusion occur?

Group velocity confusion occurs because the group velocity of a wave is not a measure of the actual speed of the wave, but rather a measure of the speed at which the energy and information of the wave propagate.

How is group velocity different from phase velocity?

Group velocity is the speed at which the overall shape or envelope of a wave moves, while phase velocity is the speed at which the individual peaks and troughs of a wave move. In most cases, phase velocity is greater than group velocity, but in certain situations, such as when a wave is passing through a material with a dispersive index, the group velocity may appear to be greater.

Can group velocity ever exceed the speed of light?

No, group velocity cannot exceed the speed of light. The apparent faster speed of group velocity is due to the fact that it is a measure of the propagation of energy and information, not the speed of the actual wave.

How is group velocity confusion relevant to scientific research?

Group velocity confusion is relevant to scientific research, particularly in fields such as optics and quantum mechanics, where understanding the behavior of waves is crucial. By understanding and properly interpreting the group velocity, scientists can make accurate predictions and draw meaningful conclusions from their research.