Can the human sense of touch detect differences in molecular charge?

• Thread starter Annabel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emf
Annabel
How did you find PF?
Google search for, "people who can feel an AA battery charge
Kia ora, from New Zealand.

A Google search found the topic "Spent batteries feel lighter" ... and for me, they do too, and for batteries that have a full charge, I can feel that too. Some people have higher sensitivities to EMF than others. Some people can sense molecular differences by touch. Some people can dowse. I can feel an ultrasound and turn an iPhone 5s into a tartan brick in less than half an hour.

I call myself a 3D thinker because I turn things over in my mind and try to "see" an idea or concept from all perspectives, like an object.

Physics news on Phys.org
Woo-wee! Welcome to PF.

Have you ever sought help from your friends to do a double-blind battery weight-vs-charge test? That what's friends do for friends... :smile:

berkeman said:
Woo-wee! Welcome to PF.

Have you ever sought help from your friends to do a double-blind battery weight-vs-charge test? That what's friends do for friends... :smile:
Good idea. :)

I know it sounds a bit nuts (insert tinfoil hat here) ... One or two on their own is harder to feel but ..say a pack of 12 or 24, (even wrapped in packaging plastic) packs a much bigger sensation. It feels like a distant electric fence tingle and makes my hand feel sluggish.

Annabel said:
I know it sounds a bit nuts
No, no, no. :smile:

Annabel said:
Good idea. :)
Thanks for being a good sport.

Full disclosure -- when I was in high school, I was exploring some of the same feelings and thoughts that you are now. At one point I was sitting on an outdoor Jujitsu practice mat after class, and noticed an ant walking across the mat. I figured that I'd try to influence which way the ant walked with my thoughts, to see if it worked. So I tried to will it to turn right, and it did! Yikes. So I tried to will it to turn left and go a little bit, and it did! After more of this (for about 5 minutes), I reached down to pick up the ant, and it turned out to be an inert piece of a leaf.

So my eyes had been fooling me into thinking that the inert piece of a leaf was moving, and that I was able to influence the movements. So my take-away from that was to design my experiments better (but to keep doing experiments). :smile:

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes Tom.G and symbolipoint
berkeman said:
Woo
Indeed.

I agree - a double-blind test is a good idea. As far as telling their charge when they are still wrapped, who wraps dead batteries?

I read some where that charged vs. uncharged batteries will bounce to different heights when dropped on their end.
I forget which was which.
However I tried it on several AAs and it seemed to work (compared with my meter).

1. Can the human sense of touch detect differences in molecular charge?

Yes, the human sense of touch is capable of detecting differences in molecular charge. Our skin contains specialized nerve endings called mechanoreceptors that respond to different types of stimuli, including changes in molecular charge.

2. How does the human sense of touch detect differences in molecular charge?

The mechanoreceptors in our skin are sensitive to changes in pressure, temperature, and other physical stimuli. When a molecule with a different charge comes into contact with our skin, it can cause changes in these stimuli, which are then detected by the mechanoreceptors and transmitted to the brain as a sensation of touch.

3. Can the human sense of touch distinguish between positive and negative charges?

Yes, the human sense of touch can distinguish between positive and negative charges. This is because our skin contains different types of mechanoreceptors that respond to different types of stimuli. Some mechanoreceptors are more sensitive to positive charges, while others are more sensitive to negative charges.

4. Are there any limitations to the human sense of touch in detecting differences in molecular charge?

Yes, there are limitations to the human sense of touch in detecting differences in molecular charge. Our skin is not as sensitive as other sensory organs, such as our eyes or nose, in detecting subtle differences in molecular charge. Additionally, the size and shape of the molecules can also affect our ability to detect their charge through touch.

5. Can the human sense of touch be trained to detect differences in molecular charge?

Yes, the human sense of touch can be trained to detect differences in molecular charge. Studies have shown that with training, individuals can improve their ability to detect subtle differences in stimuli, including changes in molecular charge. However, the extent to which this training can enhance our sense of touch is still being researched.