Can the Lorentz Factor Approach 0i as v Exceeds c for FTL Reference Frames?

In summary: The Lorentz transformations are used to describe the relationship between coordinates used in different inertial frames. Special Relativity doesn't assume the existence (or meaningfulness) of two inertial frames whose relative speed is faster than the...Have you tried to work this out mathematically? What does the math tell you?I think @Nugatory's answer is best. It doesn't make sense to do this. When you insert ##v>c## you may be defining some kind of coordinate system, but it doesn't have the naive interpretation you are trying to put on it.
Chris Miller
As v approaches c, the Lorentz factor approaches infinity. The math and physics is well understood and observed. Is it true that, just mathematically, as v exceeds c the Lorentz factor approaches 0i for imaginary time constriction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chris Miller said:
imaginary time constriction

What is "imaginary time constriction"?

Chris Miller said:
Is it true that, just mathematically, as v exceeds c the Lorentz factor approaches 0i

Have you tried to work this out mathematically? What does the math tell you?

Chris Miller said:
As v approaches c, the Lorentz factor approaches infinity. The math and physics is well understood and observed. Is it true that, just mathematically, as v exceeds c the Lorentz factor approaches 0i for imaginary time constriction?
The Lorentz transforms are derived starting from assumptions that are equivalent to assuming that ##v## must be less than ##c##. Thus, the complex numbers that appear when you try plugging in a speed greater than ##c## tell you nothing except that you're using the formula in a situation where it doesn't apply.

Likes waves and change, Chris Miller and PeroK
Thanks for your answers. By "imaginary" I just meant the square root of a negative. By "constriction" I meant the opposite of dilation. I assumed that if time dilates as the Lorentz factor approaches infinity, then it must constrict as it approaches 0 (times i). The math is simple: 1/(n*i) as n approaches infinity. When you assume...

Chris Miller said:
Thanks for your answers. By "imaginary" I just meant the square root of a negative. By "constriction" I meant the opposite of dilation. I assumed that if time dilates as the Lorentz factor approaches infinity, then it must constrict as it approaches 0 (times i). The math is simple: 1/(n*i) as n approaches infinity. When you assume...
I think @Nugatory's answer is best. It doesn't make sense to do this. When you insert ##v>c## you may be defining some kind of coordinate system, but it doesn't have the naive interpretation you are trying to put on it.

Likes Chris Miller
Chris Miller said:
By "constriction" I meant the opposite of dilation. I assumed that if time dilates as the Lorentz factor approaches infinity, then it must constrict as it approaches 0 (times i).

A multiple of i is not the "opposite" of a real number in any useful sense, so I don't think this is a valid line of reasoning.

Are you saying complex numbers have no use in physics? I wrote "imaginary time constriction." Not being understood, or applicable, might not make it meaningless. I'll admit to having a very weak grasp of complex numbers. Like even a simple statement like 2i < 3i I'm not sure is true, or if the < operator's use in it is valid.

Which is greater, north or east? That’s silimar to trying compare real and imaginary numbers.

Chris Miller said:
Are you saying complex numbers have no use in physics?

No. I'm saying that you can't just wave your hands and say a complex number for the ##\gamma## factor means what you are saying it means.

Chris Miller said:
I'll admit to having a very weak grasp of complex numbers. Like even a simple statement like 2i < 3i I'm not sure is true, or if the < operator's use in it is valid.

Your hesitation is warranted. :wink: Unlike real numbers, complex numbers are not totally ordered, so the comparison operators don't make sense for them the way they do for reals.

Chris Miller said:
Are you saying complex numbers have no use in physics? I wrote "imaginary time constriction." Not being understood, or applicable, might not make it meaningless. I'll admit to having a very weak grasp of complex numbers. Like even a simple statement like 2i < 3i I'm not sure is true, or if the < operator's use in it is valid.

A prerequisite so to speak for the Lorenz transform is that v<c... therefore that restriction must be assumed if you want to even consider the factor itself

Thanks all. I'm going to google complex numbers. I understand they can't be compared to reals, but would've thought they lay on a number line in some order. I understand the Lorentz transform's intended usage and restrictions re SR, but as a purely mathematical equation, its only limitation to me would seem to be that v <> c.

Ha ha Peter. Didn't mean to wave my hands. Maybe it's my Italian roots. Also I'm not sure what I'm saying by "imaginary time contraction." What do you imagine I'm saying?

Chris Miller said:
I understand they can't be compared to reals, but would've thought they lay on a number line in some order.

They don't. They lie in a plane. Points in a plane do not have a linear order.

Chris Miller said:
I'm not sure what I'm saying by "imaginary time contraction." What do you imagine I'm saying?

I don't think you're saying anything meaningful at all.

Likes Vanadium 50, Chris Miller and PeroK
The Lorentz transformations are used to describe the relationship between coordinates used in different inertial frames. Special Relativity doesn't assume the existence (or meaningfulness) of two inertial frames whose relative speed is faster than the speed of light. So the imaginary values of ##\gamma## don't apply to any situation covered by SR.

There might be a way to extend SR to describe FTL reference frames, but SR certainly doesn't have them.

Likes Chris Miller

1. What is an Imaginary Lorentz factor?

An Imaginary Lorentz factor is a mathematical term used in the theory of relativity to describe the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds. It is represented by the symbol γi and is a complex number, which includes both real and imaginary components.

2. How is the Imaginary Lorentz factor different from the regular Lorentz factor?

The regular Lorentz factor, represented by the symbol γ, is a real number that describes the time dilation and length contraction at high speeds. The Imaginary Lorentz factor, on the other hand, takes into account the effects of imaginary numbers, which represent a rotation in space-time. It is used in special cases, such as when an object is accelerating or rotating at high speeds.

3. What is the significance of the Imaginary Lorentz factor in physics?

The Imaginary Lorentz factor is important in physics as it helps us understand the effects of time dilation and length contraction in extreme situations, such as near the speed of light or in strong gravitational fields. It also plays a role in quantum mechanics and relativity, helping us understand the behavior of particles at high speeds.

4. How is the Imaginary Lorentz factor calculated?

The calculation of the Imaginary Lorentz factor involves using complex numbers and the regular Lorentz factor. It can be calculated using the formula γi = γ * i, where i is the imaginary unit (i = √-1). However, it is often easier to use specialized software or calculators to compute this value.

5. Can the Imaginary Lorentz factor have a physical meaning?

While the Imaginary Lorentz factor is a mathematical concept, it does have physical meaning in certain cases. For example, in quantum field theory, the imaginary component of the Lorentz factor is used to describe the behavior of particles with spin. It can also be used to explain the behavior of rotating objects or particles moving along a curved path.