Can the magnetive field of a pedometer be cancelled at a very small scale

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential interference of a pedometer's battery on the accuracy of a compass when placed next to each other. The speaker is trying to create a new navigation idea for offline use and has considered using gyroscopes, flux gate technology, and a Faraday cage. The conversation ends with a suggestion to conduct an experiment to determine the cause of interference between the pedometer and compass.
syahrul123

Homework Statement

Okay , i am trying to know if a compass will work alongside a pedometer , under a very weak battery. What i mean by this is that will there be a large scale interference if the compass is placed next to it. I am trying to do such since, according to my schoolwork have to produce a new idea for navigation offline . I know the presence of the magnetic waves from the battery powering the pedometer , but will this be large enough to displace the accuracy of the compass rendering it unusable? The battery that i am using is a 3v battery. The battery , compass and pedometer will all be placed in a single case. The case will then be used as an extension for the iphone , where the iphone will tabulate data from the pedometer and compass

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first i did research on gyroscopes. At the current rate that i am going , i do not think that creating a gyroscope at such a small level is possible

Second, i also searched on flux gate technology. However i did not understand much of this seeing that i am only taking my A-levels this year and have not even started on my electrical topics yet.

Third, i am rather interested if it is possible to produce a faraday's cage . I already understand the concepts of the faraday cage , such that it blocks out external electrostatic forces but not the Earth's ones , thus by enclosing the compass in the cage, the compass will work normally since the cage. However my main question is this : is this possible at the micro-level saying a spherical faraday cage of 5cm.From my research , the faraday cage requres a current to flow through it no? In my situation the same battery that powers the pedometer will power the cage.

Thank you , i hope that you can understand my description :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Do an experiment. Get a small compass and slowly move your pedometer close to it. Did the compass needle move? If so was it caused by magnetic effects of the pedometer or was there some metal in the pedometer? A little experimentation should give you an answer.

Related to Can the magnetive field of a pedometer be cancelled at a very small scale

1. How does a pedometer use magnets?

A pedometer uses a magnet and a coil to create an electromagnetic field. As the magnet moves with each step, it induces a current in the coil which is then converted into a step count.

2. Can the magnetic field of a pedometer be harmful?

No, the magnetic field produced by a pedometer is very low and poses no harm to humans.

3. How can the magnetic field of a pedometer be cancelled?

The magnetic field of a pedometer can be cancelled by using a second magnet in an opposite orientation to the first one. This creates a cancelling effect known as magnetic shielding.

4. Is it possible to cancel the magnetic field of a pedometer at a very small scale?

Yes, it is possible to cancel the magnetic field of a pedometer at a very small scale by using a material with high magnetic permeability, such as mu-metal or ferrite, to create a magnetic shield around the pedometer.

5. Will cancelling the magnetic field affect the accuracy of the pedometer?

Yes, cancelling the magnetic field of a pedometer can affect its accuracy. The magnetic field is an essential component in detecting steps, so cancelling it can result in incorrect step counts.