Can the two slit experiment be incorporated into building design?

• Thread starter TimbreofSilen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Architecture
In summary, the person is asking for help integrating the effect of the two slit experiment into a building design. They want to know if it is possible and what the dimensions of the slits would need to be to achieve the desired interference pattern. The expert responds by saying that on a building scale, the light and dark bands would be too close together to notice. They also mention that the slit width needs to be of the order of wavelengths to see an effect. The expert suggests using monochromatic light to achieve a rainbow effect instead of the interference pattern. The person thanks the expert for their response.
TimbreofSilen
This isn't a homework question per se, but I did want help with a problem I'm having. I wanted to integrate the effect of the two slit experiment into a sanctuary space I'm designing and wanted to know first if it was even possible to do it on a building scale and if it is, how wide and far apart do the slits have to be from 34' apart to get the interference pattern of a single slit experiment to have the darkest part be 19' away from the center. Sorry if this is already confusing.

Physics news on Phys.org
TimbreofSilen said:
This isn't a homework question per se, but I did want help with a problem I'm having. I wanted to integrate the effect of the two slit experiment into a sanctuary space I'm designing and wanted to know first if it was even possible to do it on a building scale and if it is, how wide and far apart do the slits have to be from 34' apart to get the interference pattern of a single slit experiment to have the darkest part be 19' away from the center. Sorry if this is already confusing.

On the scale you are talking, the light and dark bands are likely to be nanometres apart - or even closer - so you wouldn't notice them anyway. Remember the slit width has to be of the order of wavelengths to notice an effect.

Unless you can arrange some monochromatic light, the best you could hope for is a rainbow effect

That would probably be better than I was originally planning. Thanks a lot.

1. What is the purpose of architecture?

The purpose of architecture is to design and create functional, aesthetically pleasing structures that serve a specific purpose, whether it be residential, commercial, or public.

2. What are the key elements of architecture?

The key elements of architecture include form, space, light, materials, and function. These elements work together to create a cohesive and functional design.

3. How does architecture impact our daily lives?

Architecture has a significant impact on our daily lives as it shapes the spaces we live, work, and interact in. It can also influence our mood, behavior, and overall well-being.

4. What is sustainable architecture?

Sustainable architecture is an approach to design that prioritizes the use of environmentally responsible and energy-efficient materials and methods to reduce the negative impact on the environment.

5. What skills are required to become an architect?

To become an architect, one must have a solid understanding of design principles, spatial awareness, technical knowledge of construction and building codes, strong communication and problem-solving skills, and creativity.