Can this be decrypted using a simple ASCII conversion?

In summary, The conversation is about decrypting a text file that seems to be related to the cicada3301 mystery. The suggestion given is to try converting it to hex or decimal to find a discernable pattern. The conversation also mentions looking for a good encryption/cipher analyzer software and using tricks of the trade to solve the problem. One theory is that the message is too short for a complex encryption and may be a simple trick, such as displaying the binary sequence as ASCII.
Tech2025
Hi, I am trying to decrypt something in a .txt file as a challenge from a friend, the file contains:

pÿd“ÙÃÊÌßéh'rv‹"^÷ù O˜w؉D•ÍúúYíY’ ∞¶iÀªÆzI¥r=«Å∑F¸¡„;≥ûü¸ã7∂.ˆ– ã<¿µD~’ÅsG›îwA_4Gå#›¥’6ª˝_ÎaÍÑjù]ÚU3Y{äF-Ê#i 33(›öR `?™|¸ ®flîè+zÂ√œ/fiãìR˛˙˚∂ZëìƺΩÒ†»˘∂®∑‘¬z vóR◊r∂Øûp)E ·°vÅQ’»<Ø^ÃH‘xïÄ=∂Ë\⁄oYh◊¥h$f)

I think it is Pseudo Random encryption? Can someone give hints on how to decrypt this?

Technology news on Phys.org
No I don't. People try the tricks of the trade to solve these things. One thing is that the message must be long enough relative to the encoding scheme.

If you have access to Linux or MacOSX or an editor that can display HEX you could use that to look at the digital representation.

Likes Tech2025
jedishrfu said:
One thing is that the message must be long enough relative to the encoding scheme.

That's very true, and that text is very short. My guess is that it is a trivial trick, much simpler than pseudo random encryption.

For example, the text looks like the 16 bit UNICODE, what happens if you display the same binary sequence as 8 bit ASCII?

Likes jedishrfu

What is Pseudo Random Encryption?

Pseudo Random Encryption is a type of encryption method that uses mathematical algorithms to generate seemingly random data. This data is not truly random, but appears to be so, making it difficult for hackers to decipher.

How does Pseudo Random Encryption work?

Pseudo Random Encryption works by taking a key or password and running it through a mathematical algorithm. This algorithm produces a long string of seemingly random numbers and letters, which is then used to encrypt the data. Because the encryption is based on a key, it can be decrypted by using the same key and algorithm.

Is Pseudo Random Encryption secure?

Pseudo Random Encryption is considered to be a secure method of encryption, as long as the key or password used is strong and kept secret. However, as with any encryption method, it is not completely foolproof and can be vulnerable to hacking attempts.

What are the advantages of Pseudo Random Encryption?

One advantage of Pseudo Random Encryption is that it is relatively fast and efficient, making it a popular choice for data encryption. It also does not require a truly random source of data, making it easier to implement. Additionally, Pseudo Random Encryption can be used to encrypt large amounts of data without significant performance impact.

Are there any disadvantages of Pseudo Random Encryption?

One potential disadvantage of Pseudo Random Encryption is that it is not as secure as other methods of encryption, such as true random encryption. Additionally, if the key or password used is not strong enough, it can be vulnerable to brute force attacks. Another potential downside is that if the algorithm used is compromised, all data encrypted with that algorithm could also be at risk.

Back