Can Thunderstorms Generate Power Through Induced Currents?

• Thread starter wolf_359
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for lightning strikes in storms to create an electric imbalance and whether this could induce a current in a large coil on the ground. It also references sources discussing atmospheric electricity and its measurement during different weather conditions.
wolf_359
I've had a question bugging me for a while now.. I work nights offshore and the schedule, and subsequent remodulation of my circadian rhythm has caused my brain to think random things.

I understand that thunderstorms produce an electric potential across the gap between the bottom of the cloud and the ground. This imbalance is brought closer to electrically neutral when dielectric breakdown occurs and a flow of electrons occurs.

In some storms, there is a higher than average rate of lightning strikes per given time interval (average of how long a typical strong thunderstorm lasts before it dissipates).

Could this constitute a AC charge, or pulse DC, at very low frequency? What I mean is, the charges cycle from a strong imbalance, to a "closer-to-zero" balance due to the strikes of lightning.
The frequency would not be constant, as the strikes are random.

I am leading to this:
Could this charge cycling be enough to induce a current in a very large coil (wide and flat covering many square acres) on the ground? Or is the atmospheric potential too small to even register on a voltmeter?

Engineering news on Phys.org

What is thunderstorm generated power?

Thunderstorm generated power refers to the energy produced by harnessing the power of thunderstorms. Thunderstorms create strong winds, heavy rainfall, and lightning, which can all be used to generate electricity.

How is thunderstorm generated power harnessed?

Thunderstorm generated power is typically harnessed through wind turbines, hydroelectric dams, and lightning rods. Wind turbines use the strong winds produced by thunderstorms to turn their blades and generate electricity. Hydroelectric dams use the heavy rainfall to power turbines and generate electricity. Lightning rods are used to capture the electrical energy from lightning strikes and convert it into usable electricity.

Is thunderstorm generated power a reliable source of energy?

While thunderstorm generated power can be a powerful source of energy, it is not considered a reliable source. Thunderstorms are unpredictable and can vary in intensity, making it difficult to consistently generate electricity from them. Additionally, the infrastructure needed to harness this type of energy can be expensive and may not be feasible in all locations.

What are the potential benefits of using thunderstorm generated power?

There are several potential benefits of using thunderstorm generated power. It is a renewable source of energy, meaning it does not deplete natural resources. Thunderstorms are also more prevalent in certain areas, providing a localized source of energy. The use of this type of energy can also reduce the reliance on fossil fuels and decrease carbon emissions.

Are there any potential risks associated with using thunderstorm generated power?

There can be potential risks associated with using thunderstorm generated power. Thunderstorms can be dangerous and may cause damage to the infrastructure used to harness the energy. Lightning strikes can also pose a risk to individuals and structures. It is important to carefully consider the location and design of any infrastructure used to harness this type of energy to minimize potential risks.