Can time travel affect cell phone communication?

In summary, Resonance is a special condition that leaves most other phenomena inactive. It can be used to communicate over long distances with little delay.
slow
Hi. Perhaps it falls into a fallacy similar to the attempt to deny the Second Principle of Thermodynamics, misrepresenting the statistical and probabilistic interpretation. I will also expose what causes me curiosity.

My cell phone and the base of the service communicate with each other because both, the base and my cell phone, have circuits that resonate at the same frequency. We are in 2018. In case of traveling in time and carrying my cell phone, assuming it is the same geographical region in another time, would my cell phone still communicate with the base and could I communicate with the people who are in 2018?

I ask that because the resonance is able to operate in very special conditions, which leave almost all other types of phenomena inoperative.

Physics news on Phys.org
slow said:
In case of traveling in time and carrying my cell phone, assuming it is the same geographical region in another time, would my cell phone still communicate with the base and could I communicate with the people who are in 2018?

No. Your cell phone sends out electromagnetic signals that are received by the tower, which then does the same thing to communicate with your phone. These do not travel through time and you would not be able to communicate with anyone.

slow said:
I ask that because the resonance is able to operate in very special conditions, which leave almost all other types of phenomena inoperative.
Could you explain just exactly what that is supposed to mean. Are you suggesting that Resonance is associated with other types of phenomena? I would say that it's completely the opposite and the most phenomena can be explained in terms of one resonance or another.
Every communication involves a time delay (due to the c limit) but unless you can store a signal in some way, once it's gone past you, you've lost it.

slow said:
would my cell phone still communicate with the base and could I communicate with the people who are in 2018?
No. I really enjoy the movie “Frequency” too, but alas it is entirely fictional.

Likes russ_watters
Dale said:
No. I really enjoy the movie “Frequency” too, but alas it is entirely fictional.
Plus, in that movie they communicated by FM voice over HAM radios, about 20 years apart. That technology has been stable for many years, and will most likely endure for many more decades. Trying to communicate with cell phone technology over a decade apart would seem to be much more problematic. :smile:

Likes Dale
slow said:
We are in 2018. In case of traveling in time and carrying my cell phone, assuming it is the same geographical region in another time, would my cell phone still communicate with the base and could I communicate with the people who are in 2018?
You are currently traveling in time. So why don't you just try to call yourself yesterday?

Likes marcusl and Nugatory
I want to thank all the people who have made themselves present.

Travel in time such a beautiful dream. Everyone loves time travel and it is possible people will get so excited about this.

Nick Carpenter Bali said:
Travel in time such a beautiful dream. Everyone loves time travel and it is possible people will get so excited about this.
? Excited about what? That time travel is impossible?

phinds said:
? Excited about what? That time travel is impossible?
Excited, as usual, by the prospect of Magic. No one completely rejects Magic - even hard nosed PF members have some irrationality in there somewhere.

Likes Dale
LOL, looks like it's time to close this thread. :smile:

Likes sophiecentaur

What is time travel?

Time travel is the hypothetical concept of moving between different points in time in a way that is similar to moving between different points in space.

Is time travel possible?

Currently, time travel is not possible according to our current understanding of physics. However, some theories, such as the theory of relativity, suggest that time dilation and time travel may be possible under certain conditions.

What is resonance in relation to time travel?

Resonance is the phenomenon where a system or object vibrates at a specific frequency. In the context of time travel, resonance is often used to explain how an object or person can be transported through time by matching the frequency of their oscillations with that of the desired time period.

Can you change the past through time travel?

The concept of changing the past through time travel is a popular theme in science fiction, but it is currently not possible according to our understanding of physics. The theory of causality states that any event in the past has already occurred and cannot be changed.

What are the potential risks of time travel?

Some potential risks of time travel include creating paradoxes, altering the timeline, and causing unintended consequences. It is also possible that the physical and psychological effects of time travel could be harmful to the traveler.