Can Trig Substitution with Cosine be Used Instead of Sine?

In summary: I checked to see if my answer differed by only a constant but that was not the case.The function being integrated isf(x) = √(9 - x2) / x2. This is defined for 0 < |x| ≤ 3. When making a substitution we want to choose an interval where f(x) makes sense, and the easiest one is 0 < x ≤ 3. We also want to choose a substitution that takes the same values that f(x) does over the interval of definition, and that's between 0 and 3.Each of y = 3 sin(x) and y = 3 cos(x) satisfy this
UMath1
I was wondering if you could do a trig substitution with cosine instead of sine. All the textbooks I have referred to use a sine substitution and leave no mention as to why cosine substitution was not used. It seemed that it should work just the same, until I tried it for the following Fint [sqrt(9-x^2)]/ [x^2]. I checked to see if my answer differed by only a constant but that was not the case. I have attached pictures of my work. Can anyone tell me why it does not work?
20160130_164904.jpg
20160130_164853.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
If you use sine instead, you will end up with ##\sin^{-1}## in place of ##\cos^{-1}##. But the two expressions are related by ##\cos^{-1}x = \pi/2-\sin^{-1}x##.

I know but why are the answers different? Is one less valid than the other?

Btw the textbook which uses sine has the same answer but with -sin^-1(x/3) instead of cos^-1(x/3) like I have it.

UMath1 said:
Btw the textbook which uses sine has the same answer but with -sin^-1(x/3) instead of cos^-1(x/3) like I have it.
That's exactly the point I addressed in my previous post. Replace -sin^-1(x/3) with the equation I wrote before. You will indeed have an additional ##\pi/2## but it's a constant and hence can be absorbed into the integration constant ##C##.

There's really nothing magic about using sin or cos. It just depends on what is more convenient for each case. As for signs, using the relevant relations from trigonometry - like the one that blue_leaf77 mentions, you can substitute sin for cos and vice versa and find the appropriate sign.

The function being integrated is

f(x) = √(9 - x2) / x2

. This is defined for 0 < |x| ≤ 3.

When making a substitution we want to choose an interval where f(x) makes sense, and the easiest one is 0 < x ≤ 3.

We also want to choose a substitution that takes the same values that f(x) does over the interval of definition, and that's between 0 and 3.

Each of y = 3 sin(x) and y = 3 cos(x) satisfy this condition, so either one can be used for the substitution.

Using 3 sin(x) to substitute might be a tiny bit easier than cosine because its derivative is 3 cos(x), and this does not introduce negative signs.

Ok...I see it now. I tried some test bounds of integration and got the same answer from both options.

1. What is Trig Substitution with Cosine?

Trig Substitution with Cosine is a method used in calculus to solve integrals involving square roots of quadratic expressions. It involves replacing the variable in the integral with a trigonometric function (usually cosine) to simplify the expression and make it easier to integrate.

2. When should I use Trig Substitution with Cosine?

Trig Substitution with Cosine is most commonly used when the integral involves a square root of a quadratic expression with no linear term. It can also be used when the integral involves a quadratic expression under a square root with a linear term, but this is less common.

3. How do I perform Trig Substitution with Cosine?

To perform Trig Substitution with Cosine, you first need to identify the appropriate trigonometric substitution to use. This is usually done by looking at the expression under the square root and determining which trigonometric identity can be used to simplify it. Then, you make the appropriate substitution and use trigonometric identities to rewrite the integral in terms of the new variable.

4. Can I use Trig Substitution with Cosine for all integrals involving trigonometric functions?

No, Trig Substitution with Cosine is only applicable to integrals involving square roots of quadratic expressions. For other types of integrals involving trigonometric functions, different methods such as integration by parts or partial fractions may be more suitable.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using Trig Substitution with Cosine?

One common mistake is forgetting to substitute back for the original variable after integrating. It is important to always remember to do this in order to get the final answer in terms of the original variable. Another mistake is using the wrong trigonometric identity or making errors in the algebraic manipulations, so it is important to double check your work to avoid these mistakes.