How can I evaluate the integral using a trigonometric identity?

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation suggests using a trig identity to evaluate the integral $\int \dfrac{5}{x^2\sqrt{25-x^2}}\, dx$. The suggested substitution is $u=5\sin{x}$, which leads to the final solution of $-\dfrac{\sqrt{25-x^2}}{5x}+C$. The conversation also mentions a possible issue with rendering LaTeX on smartphones.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Evaluate using a trig identity
$$\displaystyle
\int \dfrac{5}{x^2\sqrt{25-x^2}}\, dx$$
my first inclination to set
$u=5\sin{x}$
then
$du=5\cos{x}\, dx$ or $dx=\dfrac{du}{5\cos {x}}$

Physics news on Phys.org
$x=5\sin{t} \implies dx=5\cos{t} \, dt$

\(\displaystyle \int \dfrac{25\cos{t}}{25\sin^2{t}\sqrt{25-25\sin^2{t}}} \, dt\)

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{5} \int \csc^2{t} \, dt = -\dfrac{1}{5}\cot{t}+C\)

$t=\arcsin\left(\dfrac{x}{5}\right) \implies -\dfrac{1}{5}\cot{t}=-\dfrac{\sqrt{25-x^2}}{5x}$

View attachment 9286

Ok this what it was on my cell phone

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191005-123017_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191005-123017_Chrome.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 76
karush said:
Ok this what it was on my cell phone

?

here is a pic ... see if your phone renders it ok

Attachments

• Integral_pic.jpg
    Integral_pic.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 55
Yeah thanks

That was weird
..🐴

If I recall, smartphones can't read LaTeX, though that was before 2018. I don't know how it is now.

1. What is the basic concept of "7.4.6 int solve with trig ID"?

The concept of "7.4.6 int solve with trig ID" refers to a specific problem-solving technique used in mathematics to solve integrals (denoted by "int") involving trigonometric functions. This technique involves using specific trigonometric identities (denoted by "trig ID") to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

2. What are some common trigonometric identities used in "7.4.6 int solve with trig ID"?

Some common trigonometric identities used in "7.4.6 int solve with trig ID" include the Pythagorean identities (sin²θ + cos²θ = 1), the double angle identities (sin2θ = 2sinθcosθ), and the half angle identities (sin(θ/2) = ±√[(1-cosθ)/2]). These identities can be used to simplify trigonometric expressions and integrals.

3. How do you solve an integral using "7.4.6 int solve with trig ID"?

To solve an integral using "7.4.6 int solve with trig ID", you first need to identify the appropriate trigonometric identity to use. Then, you substitute the identity into the integral to simplify it. From there, you can use basic integration techniques to solve the simplified integral. Finally, you can substitute back in the original trigonometric function to get the final solution.

4. Can "7.4.6 int solve with trig ID" be used for all types of integrals?

No, "7.4.6 int solve with trig ID" is typically used for integrals involving trigonometric functions. It may not be applicable to other types of integrals, such as logarithmic or exponential integrals.

5. Are there any tips for using "7.4.6 int solve with trig ID" effectively?

Yes, here are a few tips for using "7.4.6 int solve with trig ID" effectively:

• Make sure to choose the correct trigonometric identity for the integral you are solving.
  • Practice using different trigonometric identities and familiarize yourself with their properties.
  • Check your work by differentiating the final solution to make sure it matches the original integrand.
  • When in doubt, consult a math textbook or online resources for more examples and practice problems.