Can TSQM Harmonize Free Will, Cause and Effect, and Retrocausality?

• I
  • Thread starter dm4b
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the conversation discusses Time Symmetric Quantum Mechanics (TSQM) and its three principles: Genuine Free Will, Cause and Effect, and a subtle form of Retrocausality. The participants mention an upcoming paper that will explore these principles and the relationship between them. They also mention Jeff Tollaksen's PhD thesis, which is said to cover this topic but is not easily accessible. The conversation concludes with a request for any papers that specifically cover this topic. Several resources are provided, including a list of scholarly papers mentioning TSQM and a free PDF of Tollaksen's paper. However, the participants are still looking for a paper that brings together all the information with mathematical details.
dm4b
Hello,

A ways back I was reading something on Aharanov's flavor of QM, Time Symmetric Quantum Mechanics (TSQM), which referenced an upcoming paper. To be covered in that paper was the following.

It's been mentioned that within TSQM there are three seemingly mutually exclusive "principles"

(1) Genuine Free Will (of the scientist to choose what he/she measures, or what questions he/she asks)
(2) Cause and Effect
(3) A Subtle type of Retrocausality.

Supposedly, what they have shown is that for these three principles to exist harmoniously, nature must appear probabilistic at some level. It's a retort to Einsten, "THIS is why God plays dice with the Universe!". I thought this was super-profound, but this paper has been a LONG time coming, or maybe I have missed it. Supposedly, Jeff Tollaksen's pHD thesis also covered this topic, but I can't find a copy of that, either.

Here is a video where Tollaksen talks about this, just make sure to click on the free will area with his name and the video will come up.

https://www.closertotruth.com/contributor/jeff-tollaksen/profile

So, does anybody know of a paper, or papers, that specifically cover this? I guess I could try Tollaksen/Aharanov, but thought I would try here first.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Likes entropy1
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks guys

entropy1 said:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/0706.1232.pdf

Maybe this is what you mean?

I've read this before and it's the closest I've seen to something being spelled out, without actually quite doing so. You'll notice they repeatedly reference (with the "we have shown" elsewhere kind of thing) Jeff Tollaksen's PhD Thesis, as I mentioned above, i.e. reference [32].

Would still love to see something that brings it altogether with the mathematical details included.

Related to Can TSQM Harmonize Free Will, Cause and Effect, and Retrocausality?

1. What is TSQM and why is it important?

TSQM stands for Treatment Satisfaction Questionnaire for Medications and it is a standardized measure used in research to assess patients' satisfaction with their medication treatment. It is important because it provides valuable information on the effectiveness and acceptability of medications, which can inform treatment decisions and improve patient outcomes.

2. How can I find a paper on TSQM?

You can find a paper on TSQM by searching for it on reputable online databases such as PubMed or Google Scholar. You can also search for specific keywords related to TSQM, such as "treatment satisfaction questionnaire for medications" or "TSQM research." Additionally, you can reach out to your local library or university for assistance in accessing relevant papers.

3. What types of studies use TSQM?

TSQM is commonly used in clinical trials and research studies that involve medication treatments. It can also be used in observational studies, cross-sectional surveys, and longitudinal studies. TSQM can be used in various populations and settings, including hospitals, clinics, and community-based settings.

4. Are there any limitations to using TSQM?

Like any measure, TSQM has its limitations. It is important to consider the specific needs and characteristics of your study population when using TSQM. Additionally, some studies have found that certain factors, such as language barriers or cultural differences, may affect the reliability and validity of TSQM results. It is important to use TSQM in conjunction with other measures and to interpret the results carefully.

5. Can TSQM be used in non-English speaking populations?

Yes, TSQM has been translated and validated in various languages, including Spanish, French, German, and Chinese. However, it is important to ensure that the translated version maintains the same level of validity and reliability as the original version. If using TSQM in a non-English speaking population, it is recommended to use a validated translation and to consider cultural differences that may affect the results.