Can u-substitution be described as a Jacobian?

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jacobian
In summary: I can never remember those symbols.Oh, how did I miss that??and ddots which is a nice way to type ... oh, forget it. I can never remember those symbols.I can't either! They're really obscure. I think they're related to superscripts or something.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
So u-substitution is used to make an effective change of variables in one-dimensional calculus. Jacobian determinants are used to make a change of variables in two or higher-dimensional calculus. Can a u-substitution be thought of as a one-dimensional Jacobian determinant?

And on an entirely unrelated note, does anyone know how to make vertical dots in matrix? I was going to draw out the Jacobian determinant, but I couldn't figure that out.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can think of it as the determinant of a 1x1 Jacobian matrix if you want. But apart from telling you that single-variable calculus is consistent with multiple-variable calculus, I'm not sure what that buys you.

does anyone know how to make vertical dots in matrix?

\vdots.

It's always nice to know that things are consistent between the two areas, though. Thanks!

Char. Limit said:
And on an entirely unrelated note, does anyone know how to make vertical dots in matrix? I was going to draw out the Jacobian determinant, but I couldn't figure that out.

What kind of "vertical dots"?? And did you type "matrix" instead of "LaTeX"??

micromass said:
What kind of "vertical dots"?? And did you type "matrix" instead of "LaTeX"??

Typo, and, well, ellipses, but vertical, not horizontal. Like this:

[tex]\vdots[/tex]

Char. Limit said:
Typo, and, well, ellipses, but vertical, not horizontal. Like this:

[tex]\vdots[/tex]

Did you just answer your own question?? :smile: Yes, vdots is the way to type vertical ellipses. And ddots is the way to type diagonal ellipses.

micromass said:
Did you just answer your own question?? :smile: Yes, vdots is the way to type vertical ellipses. And ddots is the way to type diagonal ellipses.

I got vdots from AlephZero above, and ddots from you! Now I can type out n-size matrices!

Char. Limit said:
I got vdots from AlephZero above

Oh, how did I miss that??

Also, don't forget hdots which is a nice way to type ...

Related to Can u-substitution be described as a Jacobian?

1. What is u-substitution and how does it relate to the Jacobian?

U-substitution is a method used in calculus to simplify the integration of functions that involve a variable raised to a power. It is closely related to the Jacobian, which is a mathematical term that represents the change in coordinates when transforming from one set of variables to another.

2. How can u-substitution be used to evaluate integrals?

U-substitution is used to simplify integrals by replacing a complicated function with a simpler one. This is done by substituting a new variable u for a part of the original function, and then using the chain rule to rewrite the integral in terms of u. This often leads to a simpler integral that can be easily evaluated.

3. Is u-substitution always necessary when using the Jacobian?

No, u-substitution is not always necessary when using the Jacobian. The Jacobian can also be used to transform multiple integrals and to calculate volumes of curved surfaces, without the need for u-substitution.

4. Can u-substitution and the Jacobian be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, both u-substitution and the Jacobian can be used in higher dimensions. In fact, the Jacobian is a crucial tool in multivariable calculus for calculating integrals and transformations in higher dimensions.

5. Are there any limitations to using u-substitution and the Jacobian?

One limitation of u-substitution is that it can only be used for integrals that have a single variable raised to a power. The Jacobian, however, has a wide range of applications in mathematics and is not limited to just integration problems.