Can vacuum tubes contain a gas?

In summary, there was a question about the terminology of vacuum tubes and the specific type 884 tube which contains argon gas. It was clarified that vacuum tubes can contain gas depending on their function.
Lemenks

Homework Statement

I was doing an experiment containing gas or vacuum tubes "type 884 tube". It contains argon gas but when reading about triodes and cathode ray tubes, they are generally referred to as vacuum tubes - the type 884 tube is a triode, so does that mean it is a gas filled triode? or is it a vacuum tube containing a gas?

This is mostly just a terminology question - if this isn't allowed, I apologize but I just thought that asking you would be the best way to get an informative answer. Also, I realize this seems quite silly but it has been irritating me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Search RCA884.

Thank you for your input, it was very helpful.

I can confirm that vacuum tubes can indeed contain gas. The term "vacuum tube" refers to the structure and function of the device, not necessarily the contents inside. A vacuum tube is a sealed glass container with electrodes inside, designed to control the flow of electrons. While some vacuum tubes may be completely evacuated of gas, others may contain a small amount of gas (such as argon) to aid in the functioning of the device.

In the case of the type 884 tube you mentioned, it is a gas-filled triode. This means that it contains a small amount of gas, typically argon, to help regulate the flow of electrons between the cathode and anode. This gas can also help to prevent the buildup of unwanted charges inside the tube.

So to answer your question, the type 884 tube is both a gas-filled triode and a vacuum tube. The gas inside serves a specific purpose in the functioning of the device, and the vacuum aspect of the tube is still present. I hope this helps to clarify any confusion.

1. Can vacuum tubes contain any amount of gas?

Yes, vacuum tubes can contain a small amount of residual gas even after being evacuated to a high vacuum. This gas can come from impurities in the materials used to make the tube or from the outgassing of the tube itself.

2. What is the purpose of a vacuum in a vacuum tube?

The vacuum in a vacuum tube is necessary to prevent the electrons from colliding with gas molecules, which would interfere with the desired flow of electricity. A vacuum also helps to prolong the lifespan of the tube by preventing oxidation and other chemical reactions.

3. How is the vacuum created in a vacuum tube?

The vacuum in a vacuum tube is created by using a vacuum pump to remove all the air and gas molecules from the tube. This process is called evacuation and is usually done before the tube is sealed.

4. Can gas be intentionally added to a vacuum tube?

Yes, in some cases, a small amount of gas may be intentionally added to a vacuum tube to control the behavior of the electrons. This is known as a "controlled atmosphere" and is often used in specialized types of vacuum tubes, such as gas-filled tubes.

5. What happens if a vacuum tube contains too much gas?

If a vacuum tube contains too much gas, it can affect the performance and reliability of the tube. The gas molecules can interfere with the flow of electrons, causing distortion or other unwanted effects. In extreme cases, excessive gas can cause the tube to fail completely.