Can variable refrigerant flow outdoor units be combined

In summary: I'm just wondering if outdoor units can be freely combined.Nope you can't freely combine, there is no sense because each has its own compressor and condenser set and why even bother to. It's an additional work, you know.
tj00343
Hey,
I noticed that some manufacturers have provided data for pre-combined (2 or 3 modules) to achieve higher loads (limited to about 60 refrigeration tons).I was wondering if a designer could combine modules to achieve a greater even larger(different) loads or am i limited to the combinations provided by the manufacturer.
Thank You

Engineering news on Phys.org
The modulation of compressor units outdoors you mentioned is for the purpose of energy savings. This is typical to establishment which air conditioning loads frequently varies in a day period.
Imagine if there is a central air conditioning system which is designed to cater maximum load say 100%, then the actual demand due to the deviation of use is just 10%? It is a waste of energy to let the unit operates in such condition. Compare it to, let say, 3 units, each capable only of delivering 33% only of the total maximum load. It would be a saving only running (1) 33% unit, and the (2) others are turned off,do you agree?

Last edited:
Legolaz said:
The modulation of compressor units outdoors you mentioned is for the purpose of energy savings. This is typical to establishment which air conditioning loads frequently varies in a day period.
Imagine if there is a central air conditioning system which is designed to cater maximum load say 100%, then the actual demand due to the deviation of use is just 10%? It is a waste of energy to let the unit operates in such condition. Compare it to, let say, 3 units, each capable only of delivering 33% only of the total maximum load. It would be a saving only running (1) 33% unit, and the (2) others are turned off,do you agree?

Yes I understand ,however I was wondering if I could combine and modulate single module units as i see fit , and if i can ,what would limit the maximum load and how refrigerant flow to indoor units would be controlled.

tj00343 said:
Yes I understand ,however I was wondering if I could combine and modulate single module units as i see fit , and if i can ,what would limit the maximum load and how refrigerant flow to indoor units would be controlled.
I'm sorry, I can not digest what you intend to do, could you please, elaborate further.

Legolaz said:
I'm sorry, I can not digest what you intend to do, could you please, elaborate further.
I'm just wondering if outdoor units can be freely combined.

Nope you can't freely combine, there is no sense because each has its own compressor and condenser set and why even bother to. It's an additional work, you know.

Last edited:

Related to Can variable refrigerant flow outdoor units be combined

1. Can variable refrigerant flow outdoor units be combined for larger buildings?

Yes, variable refrigerant flow outdoor units can be combined to create a system that is suitable for larger buildings. VRF systems are designed to be highly customizable and can be configured to meet the specific needs of a building, whether it is a small office or a large commercial complex. By combining multiple outdoor units, the system can handle a larger load and provide efficient heating and cooling for the entire building.

2. Is it possible to mix different brands of variable refrigerant flow outdoor units?

In most cases, it is not recommended to mix different brands of variable refrigerant flow outdoor units. Each brand has its own unique design and specifications, and combining units from different brands can lead to compatibility issues and potentially affect the performance of the system. It is best to stick with one brand for all components of the VRF system.

3. Can variable refrigerant flow outdoor units be combined with other types of HVAC systems?

Yes, variable refrigerant flow outdoor units can be combined with other types of HVAC systems, such as air handlers or ducted units. This can provide additional flexibility and efficiency in heating and cooling a building. However, it is important to consult with a professional to ensure proper installation and compatibility between the different systems.

4. Are there any limitations to how many variable refrigerant flow outdoor units can be combined?

The number of variable refrigerant flow outdoor units that can be combined depends on various factors, such as the size of the building, the load requirements, and the design of the VRF system. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the optimal number of units for a specific building.

5. Can variable refrigerant flow outdoor units be combined for both heating and cooling?

Yes, variable refrigerant flow outdoor units can be combined to provide both heating and cooling for a building. The outdoor units are equipped with a refrigerant cycle that can switch between heating and cooling modes, allowing for efficient temperature control throughout the year. This is one of the main advantages of VRF systems, as they can provide both heating and cooling without the need for separate equipment.