Can Vector Loops Simplify Theo Jansen's Linkage Mechanism Equations?

In summary, the individual is studying the work of Theo Jansen and is attempting to derive general equations for motion, velocity, and acceleration for each point of his linkage mechanism. They have found 5 vector loops for the system, but are struggling with 10 unknowns. They believe there should only be one equation due to the system's one degree of freedom, and have provided pictures of their work so far. They are looking for help with organizing the equations into a matrix and plotting the system's motion in Matlab or Octave.
Jawz
I'm studying the work of Theo Jansen and want to derive a set of general equations for motion, velocity and acceleration at each point of his linkage mechanism. I've read a general equation can be derived through the use of vector loops but I am having some trouble as my equations have 10 unknowns. I could derive equations on paper, but the brute force strategy I am thinking seems to be too much work. The pictures show my set up for each loop. I have found 5 loops for the system but have 10 unknowns. I would think there should be only 1 equation necessary since their is only 1 degree of freedom; each unknown is determined by the driving angle.

The pictures are of my work so far. First, the diagram of the system. Then, the constants and unknowns. Third, these are the vector loops from point to point. Finally, the equations are written as x and y compenents.

The angles are between the x-axis and the rod going in a counter clockwise direction.

The rod lengths are denoted as l, m, and a1 through a10.

Sorry if the pictures are poor in quality. I've tried to make everything as clear as possible.

I'm trying to find some way to organize these equations into a matrix then plot the motion of the system in Matlab or Octave.

Any help is appreciated.
CAM00893.jpg
CAM00894.jpg
CAM00896.jpg
CAM00897.jpg

Likes Milan Bok
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

I'm pretty sure I can solve your problem (I do similar problems frequently), but I can't see your diagram. Please try for a better figure.

Vector loops are definitely the way to set this up.

1. What are Vector Loops?

Vector Loops are a mathematical concept that involves using vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction, to represent and manipulate data. They are often used in computer programming and graphics to create complex shapes and animations.

2. Who is Theo Jansen?

Theo Jansen is a Dutch artist and engineer who is known for his kinetic sculptures, which are made from PVC piping and use wind power to move. He is also the creator of the Strandbeest, a wind-powered walking machine that has gained worldwide fame.

3. How are Vector Loops used in Theo Jansen's sculptures?

Theo Jansen uses Vector Loops to create the intricate and fluid movements of his sculptures. He programs the movements of the PVC piping using vector calculations, allowing the sculptures to move in a lifelike manner powered by the wind.

4. What is the significance of Vector Loops in art and science?

Vector Loops have a significant impact in both art and science. In art, they allow for the creation of complex and dynamic shapes and animations, while in science, they are used in fields such as physics and engineering to model and understand the movements of objects in space.

5. Can Vector Loops be used for practical applications?

Yes, Vector Loops have many practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and engineering. They are used to create realistic animations, simulate physical systems, and design efficient and precise movements for machines and robots.