Can Warping Spacetime Create a "Warp Bubble" in GR?

In summary, it is mathematically possible to create a spacetime in general relativity with the described qualities, but its physical plausibility may be questionable.
dykuma
First of all, I would like to admit that my understanding of general relativity is limited, though this will hopefully be remedied this summer when I take a GR class.

I think we have all seen a sci-fi movie where the characters are stuck in a space where they are trapped in a sort of "warp bubble", Basically like a strange game of pack man where going off the screen to the left places you back onto the same spot on the right side of the screen.

Is such a geometry for space possible in general relativity? Furthermore, is it possible to create such a space with the following qualities:

1. You are able to see, without any (or much) visual distortion, the place that you just left from.

2. You do not feel any anomalous accelerations, so if you were on earth, you would only feel Earth's gravity during the entire trip (looping back to the starting position).

In essence, the person needs to think that nothing is amiss while looping over the same space over and over again.

Just so we are clear, this is a question for a friend who is writing a story. She was hoping that I could help , but I know next to nothing about GR at the moment. Anyway, thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dykuma said:
Is such a geometry for space possible in general relativity?

Mathematically, it is possible to construct a spacetime with this geometry (and with the other properties you describe), yes. The spatial geometry would be what is called a flat 3-torus; the spacetime geometry would just be an infinite series of flat 3-torus spaces, one for each instant of time.

Whether this spacetime would be physically reasonable is a different question. For purposes of a sci-fi story, the physical reasonableness is not necessarily an issue.

Likes dykuma

1. How does warping spacetime create a "warp bubble" in general relativity?

In general relativity, mass and energy can warp the fabric of spacetime, creating what is known as a gravitational field. This warping effect can be imagined as a fabric being stretched and curved by a heavy object, such as a planet or star. A "warp bubble" is a theoretical concept in which spacetime is bent and compressed in a way that would allow an object to travel faster than the speed of light.

2. Can a "warp bubble" actually be created in our universe?

While the concept of a "warp bubble" is theoretically possible in general relativity, there is currently no scientific evidence that it can be created in our universe. The amount of energy and technology required to create such a bubble is far beyond our current capabilities.

3. What would happen to objects inside a "warp bubble"?

According to general relativity, objects inside a "warp bubble" would experience a different perception of time and space. This means that they could potentially travel faster than the speed of light, but they would not actually be breaking the laws of physics, as their relative position in spacetime would remain the same.

4. How does this concept relate to the idea of faster-than-light travel?

The concept of a "warp bubble" is often associated with the idea of faster-than-light travel, as it appears to allow objects to travel faster than the speed of light. However, this is a misconception, as the objects inside the bubble would not actually be moving faster than light, but rather warping the fabric of spacetime itself.

5. Are there any real-world applications for "warp bubbles"?

Currently, there are no known real-world applications for "warp bubbles." While they are a popular concept in science fiction, the technology and energy required to create them are far beyond our current capabilities. However, the study of general relativity and the concept of warping spacetime has led to advancements in our understanding of gravity and space-time, which may have future applications in areas such as space travel and communication.