Can waste CO2 be used to turn generators?

In summary: They found a company who fitted a system which used the waste heat from the Power Station to heat the Council Flat. It was a very cost effective solution.
rashad465
If waste CO2 is collected through a pipe from a power plant can it be used to turn a generator by increasing its pressure with a funnel?

See diagram:
CO2.png

I have been wondering whether this is possible as I feel it could be very useful in the energy industry.

Attachments

• CO2.png
    CO2.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 827
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

That is not the way a funnel works. The velocity increases as the funnel gets narrower, not the pressure. It is explained by Bernoulli's Principle.

Power plants have already researched and exploited all imaginable ways to use regenerative energy or to make themselves more efficient. It would be worth many billions of dollars to get even a 1% increase in efficiency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
anorlunda said:
:welcome:

That is not the way a funnel works. The velocity increases as the funnel gets narrower, not the pressure. It is explained by Bernoulli's Principle.

Power plants have already researched and exploited all imaginable ways to use regenerative energy or to make themselves more efficient. It would be worth many billions of dollars to get even a 1% increase in efficiency.
So the increased velocity wouldn't be able to push the generator?

rashad465 said:
So the increased velocity wouldn't be able to push the generator?
Did you read the link that @anorlunda provided? Does it discuss ways to passively increase the energy in the flow of a gas?

berkeman said:
Did you read the link that @anorlunda provided? Does it discuss ways to passively increase the energy in the flow of a gas?
The link did not work for me

Mod note: I have repaired the link.

rashad465 said:
The link did not work for me
Hmm, agreed, it's not working for me either. Probably just a typo in the link.

When something like that happens, and @anorlunda gave you the keyword for the link, all you have to do is use those words in your own search at Wikipedia or via Google. Please read the Wikipedia page about the Bernoulli Principle, and let us know if that helps you to figure our the answers to your question. Thanks. :smile:

EDIT -- Oops, @rootone aced me out again. :smile:

berkeman said:
Hmm, agreed, it's not working for me either. Probably just a typo in the link.

When something like that happens, and @anorlunda gave you the keyword for the link, all you have to do is use those words in your own search at Wikipedia or via Google. Please read the Wikipedia page about the Bernoulli Principle, and let us know if that helps you to figure our the answers to your question. Thanks. :smile:

EDIT -- Oops, @rootone aced me out again. :smile:
I read the wikipedia page and I understand now that Bernoulli's principle would apply to this scenario. Thanks for your help

If you attach a turbine to the exhaust, it blocks the exhaust and makes the rest of the plant less efficient, so there is little or no net benefit.

Rashad465.. If the pressure was greater on the right than on the left, which way would the gas flow in the pipe?

rashad465 said:
I read the wikipedia page and I understand now that Bernoulli's principle would apply to this scenario. Thanks for your help
You're welcome. keep on asking questions and learning! That's how we all got started. :smile:

rashad465 said:
If waste CO2 is collected through a pipe from a power plant can it be used to turn a generator by increasing its pressure with a funnel?

See diagram:View attachment 219226

I have been wondering whether this is possible as I feel it could be very useful in the energy industry.
Many motor car engines use a Turbo to force more air / fuel into the cylinders. This actually take energy from the engine despite the net gain in power because of the extra fuel burned.
There is no such thing as a free lunch - - - - ever. Having said that, there are good and bad ways of harvesting 'waste' energy and some of them give good value. Combined Heat and Power systems have been used for years. The Mother of a friend of mine was in a Council Flat in London (in the 1950's / 1960's) which was heated by the cooling water from Battersea Power Station. Then the Power Station was closed down (inefficient) and they had to use a different source of heating.

1. Can waste CO2 really be used to generate electricity?

Yes, waste CO2 can be captured and used to power generators through a process called carbon capture and utilization (CCU). This involves capturing CO2 emissions from industrial processes and converting them into usable fuel through chemical reactions.

2. What are the benefits of using waste CO2 for electricity generation?

Using waste CO2 for electricity generation helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate climate change. It also provides a sustainable and renewable energy source, as CO2 can be continuously captured and used for power generation.

3. Is this technology currently being used on a large scale?

While the use of waste CO2 for electricity generation is still in its early stages, there are several projects and pilot plants around the world that are successfully implementing CCU technology. As the demand for clean energy increases, it is likely that this technology will be used on a larger scale in the future.

4. What are the challenges of using waste CO2 for electricity generation?

The main challenge is the high cost of capturing and converting CO2 into usable fuel. There are also concerns about the efficiency and scalability of this technology. Additionally, there is a need for further research and development to improve the process and make it more cost-effective.

5. Can waste CO2 be used for other purposes besides electricity generation?

Yes, besides electricity generation, waste CO2 can also be used for other purposes such as producing biofuels, chemicals, and building materials. This allows for a more circular and sustainable use of CO2, reducing its impact on the environment.