Can we get a real image of virtual objects?

In summary, virtual objects are simply images that do not exist in the real world. They are created through the use of lenses, and can be viewed in mirrors or other reflective surfaces.
navneet9431
Gold Member
Is it possible to get a real image of virtual objects, If so please explain with examples and some real life situations?

Look at my assertion "rays will not pass through virtual objects so how it can form real image", is this possible, please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
navneet9431 said:
Is it possible to get a real image of virtual objects,
What do you mean by "virtual objects" exactly? Every object that you can see sharply, forms a real image on your retina.

navneet9431 said:
Is it possible to get a real image of virtual objects, If so please explain with examples and some real life situations?

Look at my assertion "rays will not pass through virtual objects so how it can form real image", is this possible, please help.

Isn't a hologram a "virtual object"?

Zz.

A rainbow?

Or do you mean this?
https://www.quora.com/What-are-virtual-objects-in-optics said:
We use the term virtual object while deriving the equation of lens. A lens has two surface. while deriving the equation. In the first part of derivation a virtual image(a image that cannot be projected on a screen) is formed by the first surface. The object of this lens surface is real.

In the second part of derivation considering the second lens surface, the virtual image of the first lens surface is taken as a Virtual object for second surface and we solve the derivation. This virtual object create a real image which we can see. We cannotdirectly observe the virtual object

navneet9431 said:
Yes. Look in a mirror. What you see is a real image formed on your retina of a virtual object in the mirror

ZapperZ said:
Isn't a hologram a "virtual object"?

Zz.
I'm not sure that's true for all holograms. I believe there are projection holograms where the light forms a real image which appears three dimensional and where the light passes through the location of the image. I would class that as a real image. But here we are again worrying about what to call something instead of discussing how something works.

sophiecentaur said:
I'm not sure that's true for all holograms. I believe there are projection holograms where the light forms a real image which appears three dimensional and where the light passes through the location of the image. I would class that as a real image. But here we are again worrying about what to call something instead of discussing how something works.

I was being facetious. Often time, people do not know what they mean by "virtual object". In a hologram, the object itself is not that, merely a "replay" of the image that has been imprinted.

Both Dale and anorlunda have replied to the issue of virtual image in the "optics" sense.

Zz.

Here's an example. The incoming rays from the left converge towards a virtual object at the right of the lens, but never actually pass through it, except for the single ray through the center of the lens. After refraction, the outgoing rays converge towards a real image and actually pass through it.

virtualobject.gif

Attachments

• virtualobject.gif
    virtualobject.gif
    13.8 KB · Views: 878
Likes berkeman

1. Can we really capture a real image of virtual objects?

Yes, it is possible to capture a real image of virtual objects using various technologies such as computer graphics, augmented reality, and virtual reality. These technologies use advanced algorithms and techniques to create realistic images of virtual objects in the real world.

2. How accurate are the real images of virtual objects?

The accuracy of real images of virtual objects depends on the technology used and the quality of the virtual object itself. With advanced technologies and high-quality virtual objects, the accuracy can be very close to reality.

3. What are the applications of capturing real images of virtual objects?

The applications of capturing real images of virtual objects are numerous. It can be used in fields such as entertainment, education, architecture, and engineering. It can also be used for training simulations, medical imaging, and product design.

4. Is it possible to interact with real images of virtual objects?

Yes, with the help of augmented reality and virtual reality technologies, it is possible to interact with real images of virtual objects. Users can manipulate and move virtual objects in the real world using specialized devices and software.

5. Are there any limitations to capturing real images of virtual objects?

There are some limitations to capturing real images of virtual objects, such as the need for specialized equipment and software, and the quality of the virtual objects. It also requires a certain level of technical expertise and can be expensive to implement in some cases.