Can we merge two unsorted lists in constant time?

In summary: Thinking)Before we merge the two lists, does tail point to NULL?No, we don't have to define the pointers. (Nod)Do we have to define these two poiters?...No, we don't have to define the pointers.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to write an algorithm, that merges two unsorted lists and returns a pointer to the first list, that should then contain both the elements of the first and the second list.
The algorithm should have a constant time complexity.

To do that, shouldn't we traverse the first list and then make the pointer of the last element to show to the first element of the second list? But wouldn't the complexity be, in this case, $O(n)$ ?

How could we merge two unsorted lists with a constant time complexity? (Worried)

Technology news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

I want to write an algorithm, that merges two unsorted lists and returns a pointer to the first list, that should then contain both the elements of the first and the second list.
The algorithm should have a constant time complexity.

To do that, shouldn't we traverse the first list and then make the pointer of the last element to show to the first element of the second list? But wouldn't the complexity be, in this case, $O(n)$ ?

How could we merge two unsorted lists with a constant time complexity? (Worried)

Hey! (Blush)

Suppose we keep track of a pointer to the end of the first list... (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Hey! (Blush)

Suppose we keep track of a pointer to the end of the first list... (Thinking)

Could you explain it further to me? :confused: I haven't understood it... (Sweating)

evinda said:
Could you explain it further to me? :confused: I haven't understood it... (Sweating)

When maintaining a list, it's pretty normal to keep a pointer to the beginning of the list (aka the head), and a pointer to the end of the list (aka the tail).
When we add an element, we add it to the tail, and then update the tail.
Otherwise it would be pretty expensive to add an element.
And when we want to iterate through the list, we start at the head. (Nerd)

If you append two such lists, the only thing you need is that the tail of the first list gets to point to the head of the second list.
And also that the new tail is the tail of the second list.

In other words: $\mathcal O(1)$. (Mmm)

I like Serena said:
When maintaining a list, it's pretty normal to keep a pointer to the beginning of the list (aka the head), and a pointer to the end of the list (aka the tail).

When we have a list, are the pointers head and tail at the first and last position of the list, respectively? Or do we have to put them at the right position? (Thinking)

evinda said:
When we have a list, are the pointers head and tail at the first and last position of the list, respectively? Or do we have to put them at the right position? (Thinking)

I don't understand you. (Worried)

The pointers are not values in the list.
They are maintained next to the list.

I like Serena said:
I don't understand you. (Worried)

The pointers are not values in the list.
They are maintained next to the list.

Can we use them, considering that head points to the first element of the list, and tail to the last one? (Thinking)

Or do we have to put them in the right position, so that the pointer head points at the first position and tail at the last one? (Thinking)

Basically , it depends on the list is implemented. If the list has an information about the last element then it should take a constant time. Otherwise , we must traverse all elements to get the last element.

The only information, that is given about the lists, is that they are singled linked.

So, can we use the pointers head and tail, without having to place them at the right position? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Can we use them, considering that head points to the first element of the list, and tail to the last one? (Thinking)

Yes. (Nod)

Or do we have to put them in the right position, so that the pointer head points at the first position and tail at the last one? (Thinking)

We can assume they are in the right position.
For instance, adding an element to the list means:
$$
\begin{cases}
tail.next &\gets \text{new list element} \\
tail &\gets tail.next \\
tail.value &\gets \textit{new value} \\
\end{cases}
$$

evinda said:
The only information, that is given about the lists, is that they are singled linked.

So, can we use the pointers head and tail, without having to place them at the right position? (Thinking)

Yes.
Singly linked means that each element has a pointer to the next element, but not to the previous element. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Yes. (Nod)
We can assume they are in the right position.
For instance, adding an element to the list means:
$$
\begin{cases}
tail.next &\gets \text{new list element} \\
tail &\gets tail.next \\
tail.value &\gets \textit{new value} \\
\end{cases}
$$
Yes.
Singly linked means that each element has a pointer to the next element, but not to the previous element. (Nerd)

A ok.. (Nod) So, before we merge the two lists, does tail point to NULL? (Thinking)

Also, do we have to define these two poiters? (Thinking)

evinda said:
A ok.. (Nod) So, before we merge the two lists, does tail point to NULL? (Thinking)

No. A tail of NULL means that the list is empty. (Wasntme)

Also, do we have to define these two poiters? (Thinking)

We have to keep track of the head, otherwise we cannot do anything with the list.
However, we don't have to keep track of the tail.
But if we don't, it takes O(n) to figure out where it is if we need it.
And keeping track of the tail doesn't increase the order of any algorithm. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:

I think the OP said that the tail points to NULL , which is true.

ZaidAlyafey said:

But if a tail points to NULL, there is nothing you can do with that tail.

I like Serena said:

ZaidAlyafey said:

tail.next points to NULL, right? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
We have to keep track of the head, otherwise we cannot do anything with the list.
However, we don't have to keep track of the tail.
But if we don't, it takes O(n) to figure out where it is if we need it.
And keeping track of the tail doesn't increase the order of any algorithm. (Nerd)

So, do I have to say, before writing the algorithm, that we suppose that head points to the first element of the list and tail to the last one? (Thinking)

Also, at the beginning of the algorithm, do I have to define head and tail like that:
Code:
pointer *head, *tail;

or don't we have to define them? (Thinking)

evinda said:
tail.next points to NULL, right? (Thinking)

Yes. (Nod)
So, do I have to say, before writing the algorithm, that we suppose that head points to the first element of the list and tail to the last one? (Thinking)

Yes.
But since you have 2 lists, you will also need the head of the second list.
For this algorithm you won't need the tail of the second list though. (Wasntme)
Also, at the beginning of the algorithm, do I have to define head and tail like that:
Code:
pointer *head, *tail;

or don't we have to define them? (Thinking)

I'd expect something like:
[m]pointer L1_head, L1_tail, L2_head;[/m]. (Wasntme)

Note that [m]pointer[/m] is already a pointer, so there should not be another [m]*[/m]. (Nerd)If you're programming in C, you might also use:
Code:
typedef struct element* pointer;

struct element {
    int data;
    pointer next;
};

struct list {
    pointer head, tail;
};

list L1, L2;

I like Serena said:
Yes. (Nod)

Yes.
But since you have 2 lists, you will also need the head of the second list.
For this algorithm you won't need the tail of the second list though. (Wasntme)

I'd expect something like:
[m]pointer L1_head, L1_tail, L2_head;[/m]. (Wasntme)

Note that [m]pointer[/m] is already a pointer, so there should not be another [m]*[/m]. (Nerd)If you're programming in C, you might also use:
Code:
typedef struct element* pointer;

struct element {
    int data;
    pointer next;
};

struct list {
    pointer head, tail;
};

list L1, L2;

Could the function also have as parameters the lists L1, L2, and the pointers L1_head, L1_tail, L2_head ? (Thinking)

Also, in order the function to return a pointer to the list, do I have to write
Code:
 return L1
or
Code:
return  L1_head
? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Could the function also have as parameters the lists L1, L2, and the pointers L1_head, L1_tail, L2_head ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Also, in order the function to return a pointer to the list, do I have to write
Code:
 return L1
or
Code:
return  L1_head
? (Thinking)

You can do it any way you like.
Writing an algorithm is free style. (Mmm)

I like Serena said:
You can do it any way you like.
Writing an algorithm is free style. (Mmm)

A ok! (Nod) After the commands
Code:
L1_tail.next=L2_head
and
Code:
L1_tail=L2_tail
when we return L1_HEAD or L1, do we return the elements of both the first and the second list? (Thinking)

evinda said:
A ok! (Nod) After the commands
Code:
L1_tail.next=L2_head
and
Code:
L1_tail=L2_tail
when we return L1_HEAD or L1, do we return the elements of both the first and the second list? (Thinking)

Since your problem statement asks for the return of a pointer to the first element of the list, you should return L1_head. (Mmm)

I like Serena said:
Since your problem statement asks for the return of a pointer to the first element of the list, you should return L1_head. (Mmm)
I am also asked to explain what kind of variables we have to keep for each list, so that we have the required complexity.
It is meant that we have to use the pointers head and tail for each list, right? (Thinking) But.. how could I explain it? (Thinking)

evinda said:
I am also asked to explain what kind of variables we have to keep for each list, so that we have the required complexity.
It is meant that we have to use the pointers head and tail for each list, right? (Thinking) But.. how could I explain it? (Thinking)

Perhaps you can give it a go to try and explain it? (Sweating)

I like Serena said:
Perhaps you can give it a go to try and explain it? (Sweating)

head is a pointer, that points to the first element of the list, while tail is a pointer, that points to the last element of the list.

What else could I say? (Blush)

evinda said:
head is a pointer, that points to the first element of the list, while tail is a pointer, that points to the last element of the list.

What else could I say? (Blush)

How does it explain that we get the required complexity? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
How does it explain that we get the required complexity? (Wondering)

Since we have a pointer, that points to the last element, we don't have to traverse the list to get there, in order to add the other list.

Or couldn't we say it like that? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Since we have a pointer, that points to the last element, we don't have to traverse the list to get there, in order to add the other list.

Or couldn't we say it like that? (Thinking)

That sounds good. (Smile)

I like Serena said:
That sounds good. (Smile)

Nice! (Nod) Thank you very much! (Smile)

I like Serena said:
When we add an element, we add it to the tail, and then update the tail.
Otherwise it would be pretty expensive to add an element.
And when we want to iterate through the list, we start at the head. (Nerd)

If you append two such lists, the only thing you need is that the tail of the first list gets to point to the head of the second list.
And also that the new tail is the tail of the second list.

In other words: $\mathcal O(1)$. (Mmm)

So, is it like that?

Code:
L1_tail.next=L2.head;
L1_tail=L2_tail;

Or do I have to add also an other command? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So, is it like that?

Code:
L1_tail.next=L2.head;
L1_tail=L2_tail;

Or do I have to add also an other command? (Thinking)

That's it. (Mmm)

I like Serena said:
That's it. (Mmm)

Great! Thank you! (Party)

Code:
L1_tail.next=L2.head;
L1_tail=L2_tail;

If we would have an array $A$ and we would use a sentinel node, would it be like that? (Thinking)

Code:
A[i].sentinel=A[j].list;
A[i].sentinel=A[j].sentinel

1. Can two unsorted lists be merged in constant time?

Yes, it is possible to merge two unsorted lists in constant time. This can be achieved by using a data structure called a hash table, which allows for constant time insertion and retrieval of elements.

2. What is the time complexity of merging two unsorted lists?

The time complexity of merging two unsorted lists is O(n), where n is the total number of elements in both lists. This is because each element in the two lists needs to be compared and inserted into the new merged list, resulting in a linear time complexity.

3. How does merging two unsorted lists in constant time affect the order of elements?

Merging two unsorted lists in constant time does not guarantee any specific order of elements in the merged list. The order of elements will depend on the implementation of the merge algorithm and the original order of elements in the two lists.

4. Can we merge two unsorted lists in constant time without using additional space?

No, it is not possible to merge two unsorted lists in constant time without using additional space. The hash table data structure used to achieve constant time merging requires additional space to store the elements from both lists.

5. Is it more efficient to merge two unsorted lists in constant time or sort the lists first and then merge them?

It depends on the size of the lists and the specific implementation of the merge algorithm. In general, if the lists are large, it may be more efficient to sort them first and then merge them. However, if the lists are relatively small, merging them in constant time may be more efficient.