Can We See an Atom? - Comments

• Insights
  • Thread starter klotza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom
In summary, the article discusses the potential for seeing atoms in a TEM image. The illustration clearly shows carbon atoms as *light* spots, not dark spots. However, the caption to the immediately previous image reads: "The bright spots on the image are regions where there are fewer atoms blocking the electrons." In a TEM image, the atoms are bright or dark? It depends.
klotza
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
klotza submitted a new PF Insights post

Can We See an Atom?

atoms-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes pangru and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Kudos on your Insights article. Your explanations and graphics helped make it clear.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I've seen many of these "atom" photos online. Nice to get some explanations!

Thank You for this really nice article !

eq66 said:
Thank You for this really nice article !
Glad you liked it!

Very interesting.

But I'm confused with the image just below the text that reads: "The technology has improved over the years, and now it is possible perform TEM on single-layer graphene and see the atomic structure from a sheet of carbon, which I think is pretty impressive."

This illustration pretty clearly shows carbon atoms as *light* spots, not dark spots. But the caption to the immediately previous image reads: "The bright spots on the image are regions where there are fewer atoms blocking the electrons."

In a TEM image, are the atoms bright, or are they dark?

Great job, Klotza!

Amrator said:
Great job, Klotza!
Thanks!

zinq said:
Very interesting.

But I'm confused with the image just below the text that reads: "The technology has improved over the years, and now it is possible perform TEM on single-layer graphene and see the atomic structure from a sheet of carbon, which I think is pretty impressive."

This illustration pretty clearly shows carbon atoms as *light* spots, not dark spots. But the caption to the immediately previous image reads: "The bright spots on the image are regions where there are fewer atoms blocking the electrons."

In a TEM image, are the atoms bright, or are they dark?
it depends whether they're dark field or bright field image.

How did Ernst Mach say: "Ah Atome! Ham's scho ans g'sehn?" (Ah atoms! Did you already see one?)

"Can We See an Atom?"

Heck, I've never seen my face. I'm sure I got one.

Have we ever seen the sun, much less other stars? We see their light, yet where are they when we finally perceive them? You can do the math; it's hurting my head to figure it. I am sure these heavenly bodies aren't where they were when we finally perceive their light.

Have we seen the Higgs boson?

<detour> Higgs boson walks into church. Priest says, we don't allow Higgs boson in here. Higgs boson says, yeah, but without me how can you have mass? </detour>

Stick a fork in me. :)

''the tunneling probability depends on the electron density of the surface, so you can actually visualize the wavefunction of the unbound surface electrons, in the images.'' The second half is not quite true, as the wave function of the electrons is a multiparticle wave function and we see something in 3 dimensions. What is visualized is the charge density of the electron field.

Related to Can We See an Atom? - Comments

1. Can we see an atom with our naked eye?

No, we cannot see an atom with our naked eye. Atoms are too small to be visible to the human eye. They are approximately 0.1 nanometers in diameter, which is about 100,000 times smaller than the width of a human hair.

2. How do scientists see atoms?

Scientists use specialized instruments, such as an electron microscope, to see atoms. These instruments use beams of electrons to create an image of the atoms, allowing scientists to study their structure and behavior.

3. Can we see individual atoms?

Yes, with the help of advanced instruments, scientists can see individual atoms. However, even with these instruments, it is challenging to see individual atoms because they are constantly moving and can be easily disturbed.

4. Why is it important to be able to see atoms?

Being able to see atoms allows scientists to study and understand the building blocks of matter. This knowledge can lead to advancements in various fields such as medicine, technology, and materials science.

5. Can we see atoms in everyday objects?

No, we cannot see atoms in everyday objects with our naked eye. However, scientists can use specialized techniques to observe and manipulate atoms in objects such as metals, plastics, and even living cells.