Can we twist the two ends of the wire together?

In summary, 20 meters of 12 Gauge electrical wire can be used with two 6 Gauge wires if the wires are twisted together. It is not harmful to electronic appliances if done correctly.
Shervan360
Hello,
We need 20 meters of 12 Gauge electrical wire but don't have 12 Gauge wire. Can we use two 6 Gauge wires and twist the two ends of the wire together? Is it harmful to electronic appliances? for example, air conditioners

[Mentor Note: original question restored; the OP will post a follow up with a correction in a later reply]

wireees.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

6AWG wire is thicker than 12AWG wire, so as long as you can deal with the extra size and stiffness, 6AWG wire will easily carry the current of 12AWG wire. No need to double-up anything.

You should always check your local building codes, but it's likely that 12AWG is listed as the minimum size for the wire for this installation. A lower AWG (bigger wire diameter) should generally be allowed as a more expensive alternative.

• Haha
Likes Shervan360 and russ_watters
Also, looking at your IP address (Mentors have that superpower), it's strange that you are specifying wire size in American Wire Gauge (AWG) instead if SI units...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60228

Likes Shervan360
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

6AWG wire is thicker than 12AWG wire, so as long as you can deal with the extra size and stiffness, 6AWG wire will easily carry the current of 12AWG wire. No need to double-up anything.

You should always check your local building codes, but it's likely that 12AWG is listed as the minimum size for the wire for this installation. A lower AWG (bigger wire diameter) should generally be allowed as a more expensive alternative.
Excuse me. I edited my question.

berkeman said:
Also, looking at your IP address (Mentors have that superpower), it's strange that you are specifying wire size in American Wire Gauge (AWG) instead if SI units...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60228
Yes, because I guessed that the respondents live in Western countries.

As this thread will be discoverable by posterity, I feel compelled:
Paralleling conductors to meet capacity requirements is theoretically acceptable. In practice it should be done very carefully - any differences in net resistance will result in uneven current distribution across the multiple conductors. US NEC allows it, but only for relatively large conductors and with length/termination similarity requirements.

Shervan360 said:
Excuse me. I edited my question.
Please don't do that, it is very confusing for anyone trying to read the thread. I've restored your original question; please post a new reply with your clarification on the size of the wires you are asking about. Thank you.

Shervan360 said:
Hello,
We need 20 meters of 12 Gauge electrical wire but don't have 12 Gauge wire. Can we use two 6 Gauge wires and twist the two ends of the wire together? Is it harmful to electronic appliances? for example, air conditioners

[Mentor Note: original question restored; the OP will post a follow up with a correction in a later reply]

Last edited:
Shervan360 said:
Hello,

View attachment 328952
Please see an edited version of my question:

We need 20 meters of 12 Gauge electrical wire but don't have 12 gauge wire. Can we use two 22 Gauge wires and twist the two ends of the wire together? Is it harmful to electronic appliances? for example, air conditioners

Shervan360 said:
We need 20 meters of 12 Gauge electrical wire but don't have 12 gauge wire. Can we use two 22 Gauge wires and twist the two ends of the wire together?
If you are trying to achieve the same resistance and current-carrying capability, no.

The resistance of wire is doubled for every 3 AWG increment (it's a log scale). So to get the same resistance as 12AWG by paralleling two wires, what would their AWG need to be?

https://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/AWG.phtml

Likes Shervan360
The Rule of Thumb is easy to remember. The resistance of the American Wire Gauge values approximately doubles every 3. So to replace AWG 12 you can use two AWG 15 or four AWG 18 or eight AWG 21 or ten AWG 22.

AWG 12 = ten AWG 22
0.00521 = 0.053 / 10 for parallel you divide R
[Ohm/m]
Copper
(20 C,68 F)

1. Can twisting the two ends of a wire together create a secure connection?

Yes, twisting the two ends of a wire together can create a secure connection. This is because the twisting action creates a mechanical bond between the two wires, making it less likely for them to come apart.

2. Is twisting the two ends of a wire together the best way to connect them?

It depends on the specific application. Twisting the two ends of a wire together is a quick and easy way to create a connection, but it may not be the most secure or efficient method for all situations. Other methods such as soldering or using wire connectors may be more appropriate.

3. Can twisting the two ends of a wire together affect the electrical conductivity?

Yes, twisting the two ends of a wire together can affect electrical conductivity. This is because the twisting action can create small gaps or spaces between the wires, which can increase resistance and decrease conductivity. However, for most applications, the decrease in conductivity is minimal and may not significantly impact the performance of the wire.

4. How many times should the two ends of a wire be twisted together?

The number of twists needed will depend on the thickness and type of wire being used. In general, a few twists should be enough to create a secure connection. However, if the wire is thicker, more twists may be needed to ensure a strong bond. It is also important to make sure the twists are tight and uniform to avoid any gaps between the wires.

5. Can the two ends of a wire be twisted together multiple times?

Yes, the two ends of a wire can be twisted together multiple times. However, it is important to keep in mind that excessive twisting can cause the wire to become brittle and break, especially if it is made of a more fragile material. It is best to avoid twisting the wire more than necessary to create a secure connection.