Can we use 74LS73 ICs for master-slave JK flip flop?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of constructing a master slave JK flip-flop using 74LS73 IC's, which contain two individual JK flip-flops. It is noted that the IC's internal structure can be found at a given reference and that versatility is the main reason for manufacturing the chip in this way. However, it is mentioned that to construct a master-slave using the 74LS73, external NAND gates may need to be added. The possibility of avoiding racing conditions is also discussed.
challarao
Hi everybody...
This is not actually a home work question...i didn't find any other place to post it...
1.Can we make master slave jk flipflop using 74LS73 ic's which containt two individual jk flipflops?

2.JK flip flop has two 3-input NAND gates and the outputs are fed back from its own outputs Q and Q'.

3. I know that jk flipflop itself has feed back connection from its previous output to its 3 input NAND gates along with the clock input and j-k inputs.But,master slave need to be fed back from its slave's previous output, not from its own output...when 74LS73 contain two jk flipflops with outputs fed back to NAND gates... i think it's not possible use this ic for master slave flipflop...I did many searches on this but found no answer...please help me...

References: IC's internal structure can be found at...
www.electronics-tutorials.ws/sequential/seq_2.html
Image: http://www.google.co.in/gwt/x/i?source=wax&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.electronics-tutorials.ws/sequential/seq17.gif&wsi=48dfd7a664f38923&ei=yIKaT8KoG6nbmAWF5bXyBQ&wsc=tf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
challarao said:
1.Can we make master slave jk flipflop using 74LS73 ic's which containt two individual jk flipflops?
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2577/iconthumb.gif The tutorial you linked to states exactly that. :smile:
3. I know that jk flipflop itself has feed back connection from its previous output to its 3 input NAND gates along with the clock input and j-k inputs.But,master slave need to be fed back from its slave's previous output, not from its own output...when 74LS73 contain two jk flipflops with outputs fed back to NAND gates...

QUOTE: The 74LS73 is a Dual JK flip-flop IC, which contains two individual JK type bistable's within a single chip enabling two JK flip-flops or one master-slave toggle flip-flop to be made.
i think it's not possible use this ic for master slave flipflop...I did many searches on this but found no answer...please help me...
Versatility is the whole reason for manufacturing the chip that way. ::EDIT:: I just noticed what has you worried—the extra feedback in the slave. I think you will find that the feedback is of identical state with those gates other inputs such that it has nil effect. If you feed a HIGH to a spare input of any AND or NAND gate, you cause no change in its operation. In the same vein, if you feed a LOW to a spare input of a AND or NAND gate you are simply duplicating the effect of a LOW that already exists on one of that gate's other inputs. Feeding Q and ¬Q from the master to the J and K inputs of the slave is unaffected by also feeding the slave's Q and ¬Q to its own J and K inputs provided the slave's Q and ¬Q simply duplicate the effect of the Q and ¬Q from the master. (They don't have to be identical to have no effect on operation.)
References: IC's internal structure can be found at...
www.electronics-tutorials.ws/sequential/seq_2.html
Image: http://www.google.co.in/gwt/x/i?source=wax&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.electronics-tutorials.ws/sequential/seq17.gif&wsi=48dfd7a664f38923&ei=yIKaT8KoG6nbmAWF5bXyBQ&wsc=tf
Including references was very useful. I would not have gone looking for them, so would not have answered this had you not provided that assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding some more to my post...

To construct a MASTER-SLAVE using the 74LS73 it appears you will need to add a pair of external NAND gates—you'll need to form J NAND ¬Qslave to feed to pin 14 of the MASTER, and the same idea goes for pin 3. The feedback of the MASTER's output to its own input is, as I explained above, probably inconsequential.

There is a chance it may be feasible to do something dodgy that avoids the need to use external gates, but you are probably not interested in exploitative shortcuts. :wink:

Last edited:
Thank you very much...
that helped me a lot...
"Does my post come under home work question?"
NascentOxygen said:
There is a chance it may be feasible to do something dodgy that avoids the need to use external gates, but you are probably not interested in exploitative shortcuts. :wink:

Yeah, but I want to know every alternative...
Thank you...

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2577/iconthumb.gif

Versatility is the whole reason for manufacturing the chip that way. ::EDIT:: I just noticed what has you worried—the extra feedback in the slave. I think you will find that the feedback is of identical state with those gates other inputs such that it has nil effect. If you feed a HIGH to a spare input of any AND or NAND gate, you cause no change in its operation. In the same vein, if you feed a LOW to a spare input of a AND or NAND gate you are simply duplicating the effect of a LOW that already exists on one of that gate's other inputs. Feeding Q and ¬Q from the master to the J and K inputs of the slave is unaffected by also feeding the slave's Q and ¬Q to its own J and K inputs provided the slave's Q and ¬Q simply duplicate the effect of the Q and ¬Q from the master. (They don't have to be identical to have no effect on operation.)

Including references was very useful. I would not have gone looking for them, so would not have answered this had you not provided that assistance.
I got a doubt...Master Slave Flip flops are introduced in order to avoid the racing condition...Since, slave can't be working when master's clock is high there would be no racing in original Master Slave's circuit...But, can the method described by you avoid racing of flip-flops...I got this doubt because the flip-flop outputs are connected to their own inputs...

Last edited by a moderator:
It can't be done with the 7473 for the reason described by Challarao.

You use the 7472 if you need a MS JK flip flop.

NascentOxygen said:
The Fairchild application notes describe its use as MASTER-SLAVE JK
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/74LS73 dual JK-datasheet.html#contextual

"J and K inputs must be stable one setup time (~20ns) prior to the HIGH-LOW clock transition for predictable operation." This may or may not be important in some apps.

You misread the Fairchild data sheet. The master-slave JK is the 9020 and the 9022. The 7473 is two separate JK, not a master slave arrangement.

1. What is a Master Slave JK flip flop?

A Master Slave JK flip flop is a digital circuit that is used to store and transfer data in a sequential manner. It is composed of two latches: a master latch and a slave latch. The master latch is responsible for receiving and storing data, while the slave latch is responsible for transferring the stored data to the output.

2. How does a Master Slave JK flip flop work?

A Master Slave JK flip flop works by using a clock signal to control the transfer of data between the master and slave latches. When the clock signal is high, the master latch receives and stores the data, and when the clock signal is low, the slave latch transfers the stored data to the output. This allows for the sequential storage and transfer of data.

3. What are the advantages of using a Master Slave JK flip flop?

One of the main advantages of using a Master Slave JK flip flop is its ability to prevent glitches. Glitches are unwanted fluctuations in the output caused by changes in the inputs. The master and slave latches in this type of flip flop work together to eliminate any glitches and provide a stable output. It also has a simple design and is easy to implement in digital circuits.

4. What are the applications of Master Slave JK flip flop?

Master Slave JK flip flops are commonly used in digital circuits for memory and data storage applications. They are also used in microprocessors, computer memory units, and communication systems. Additionally, they are used in control systems to synchronize and control the timing of operations.

5. How is a Master Slave JK flip flop different from other types of flip flops?

A Master Slave JK flip flop is different from other types of flip flops, such as the D flip flop or T flip flop, in its ability to prevent glitches and its sequential data transfer. Unlike the D flip flop, which only has one latch and can cause glitches, the master and slave latches in the JK flip flop work together to eliminate glitches. Additionally, the JK flip flop has a more complex design, but it allows for more versatile data storage and transfer operations compared to the simpler T flip flop.