Can you create a black hole from light? Also, Whiteholes vs. Blackholes

In summary: So a white hole would be just as good as a black hole for the purposes of eating particles and forces.
bernsten69
I recall reading about creating a black hole from having an area of space-time occupied by a sufficiently high enough number of high-energy photons, so as to create a black hole. I believe this has some German name, but I can't recall it at the moment.

Does anybody have an opinion on this? Could, for example, 2 or more sufficiently high-energy gamma bursts "collide," creating a zone of space-time with sufficient 'effective mass,' so as to create a black hole? If so, what would happen (ie, how much of the energy would be converted into momentum, resulting in a high-speed black hole flying through the universe). If none of it is converted into momentum, doesn't this imply a preferred rest frame?

Also, is there any difference between a Blackhole (made of regular matter) and a Whitehole (made of anti-matter)? It seems to me that a Blackhole violates CP symmetry, and thus a white hole is no different from a black hole (since all of the matter is compressed to nothingness and loses all of its properties besides charge, angular momentum and mass).

If they are the same, then can you ever preserve CPT symmetry with a black hole? Attempting time reversals of various particles and forces being absorbed by the black hole (with their various carrier-virtual-particles) seems to imply CPT symmetry violation. . . Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
bernsten69 said:
If so, what would happen (ie, how much of the energy would be converted into momentum, resulting in a high-speed black hole flying through the universe). If none of it is converted into momentum, doesn't this imply a preferred rest frame?
Momentum would in principle be conserved. So the black hole would have the same net momentum as the pair of gamma rays. That would not in any way imply a preferred frame.

This made me wonder about the likelihood of such an interaction. I seem to conclude if a whole bunch of prior absurdities are assumed, it must be a very likely result; and the black hole could be long lived.

Consider a photon whose energy/c^2 is equivalent to the mass of an asteroid. As ridiculous as that is, if it didn't have anything to interact with (even protected from CMB photons), it could not produce any matter (or black hole) without violating conservation of energy or momentum. I guess it could instantly decay into a mass of comoving less energetic photons (they are bosons after all), but I've never heard of that reaction, so let's pretend it doesn't happen.

Now imagine its interaction with an identical photon moving in the opposite direction (head on, within the limits of QFT). You would now have two asteroids worth of available mass/energy localized incomprehensibly (wavelength of such photons). It would thus seem, if you got this far, a black hole formation would have to be exceedingly likely.

Comments?

Yes, it's definitely possible to make a black hole out of colliding EM waves. There are exact electrovac solutions that show this process happening. See Griffiths, Colliding Plane Waves in General Relativity, available here http://www-staff.lboro.ac.uk/~majbg/ , e.g., ch. 8.

This is all classical physics, so you don't need to worry about photons or QFT. I guess QFT does allow light waves to interact in ways that are not possible according to Maxwell's equations, which are linear. However, GR is nonlinear, so you don't need to add a quantum ingredient to get the nonlinearity.

Singularities are a generic feature of GR, and the no-hair theorems tell us that black holes aren't picky about what they eat.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can you really create a black hole from light?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that a black hole can be created solely from light. The concept of creating a black hole from light is based on a theoretical model called a "kugelblitz," which suggests that a black hole can be formed from a concentrated beam of light. However, this theory has not been proven and is still a topic of debate among scientists.

2. What is the difference between a black hole and a white hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. On the other hand, a white hole is a hypothetical region in space where matter and energy can only enter, but not escape. Some scientists believe that white holes could be the opposite of black holes, where matter and energy are ejected instead of being pulled in.

3. Can white holes and black holes exist together?

While there is no concrete evidence to support the existence of white holes, some scientists speculate that they could exist together with black holes. This idea is based on the concept of a "wormhole," which is a hypothetical tunnel-like connection between two different points in space-time. White holes could potentially be the other end of a wormhole, with the black hole being the entrance.

4. Can a black hole turn into a white hole?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that a black hole can turn into a white hole. The laws of physics suggest that a black hole can only absorb matter and energy, not eject it. However, some theories propose that a black hole could "evaporate" over time, releasing energy and matter. Still, this process does not result in a white hole.

5. How do white holes and black holes affect time?

Both white holes and black holes have a significant impact on time. In the vicinity of a black hole, time slows down due to the intense gravitational pull. On the other hand, time would speed up in the vicinity of a white hole. However, since there is no concrete evidence of white holes, their effects on time remain purely theoretical.