Can You Handle the Speed and Thrills of Motorcycle Racing?

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skills
In summary: Dave,Thanks for the summary. I always enjoy reading about Trials riders and their skills. I'm glad you found the course at Metcalf Motorcycle County Park enjoyable.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
Amazing !

Dedicated to @berkeman :smile:Dave

Likes berkeman, Borg, 256bits and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, somebody's been practicing a lot. :woot:

Likes davenn
Trials riding is so impressive! I used to roadrace motorcycles, and as thrilling as it was hitting 180 mph before banging down the gears and throwing it into the corner as hard as you can, I've always had an extreme appreciation for the super slow speed control of Trials riders.

Likes davenn
davenn said:
Dedicated to @berkeman :smile:
Thanks Dave. I've always enjoyed watching Trials riders. The exhibitions are amazing, and the skill of the riders in Trials competitions is even more amazing, since they are dealing with natural obstacles that change event-to-event.

I don't ride much motocross practice any more, and the local off-road motorcycle park (Metcalf Motorcycle County Park) has a nice Trials course that they've been improving over the years. My next dirtbike may well be a Trials bike. It would be a lot of fun to try to learn, even just the basics... :smile:

A pic of the Trials course at Metcalf on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/metcalfmotorcyclepark/?ref=br_rs

Sklossmonster said:
I used to roadrace motorcycles, and as thrilling as it was hitting 180 mph
Wow, what class and what tracks? 180mph must be MotoGP at a couple of the more open tracks, or maybe Daytona Superbikes before they changed the rules?

Likes davenn
Taking a closer look at those hops, it looks like it's essential to keep the rear tire in a state such that most of the air is pumped out.

blue_leaf77 said:
Taking a closer look at those hops, it looks like it's essential to keep the rear tire in a state such that most of the air is pumped out.
Correct. Especially in the back tire, you only run 5-6psi. Dirtbike rims often have "Rim Locks", which tie the tire to the rim with a clamp. This is done so the tire does not spin on the rim under acceleration or braking with the very low pressures you run off-road. More info at this link:

https://www.dirtrider.com/gauging-pressure#page-3
5-6 PSI/0.34 – 0.413 bar
Trials tires are the only off-road tires that are designed to run at such a low psi and that is only when they are properly fitted on tubeless trials type rims. The reason such a low psi can be accommodated is due to the build characteristic of the tire. Generally the trials tire consists of radial casing design and contains an interlinear in the casing which allows for tubeless application. The radial tubeless design incorporates a different style bead seat and softer sidewall construction. The low pressure allows for the flexibility to maximize the footprint and mold the tire to the riding surface. By design the speeds of trials are lower and this should be kept in mind when cross applying the tires for general off-road riding.
tirepressurestory_04.jpg

Attachments

• tirepressurestory_04.jpg
    tirepressurestory_04.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 297
Likes blue_leaf77
berkeman said:
Wow, what class and what tracks? 180mph must be MotoGP at a couple of the more open tracks, or maybe Daytona Superbikes before they changed the rules?
Daytona, or as I like to call it, Hammer of the Gods! On a race-prepped Honda 1000rr, nothing like it on this Earth, and I've sky dived, bungee jumped, etc. It was just National Club Racing, but what a thrill stretching the legs on an open class two-wheeled rocket, something I'll never forget and always treasure. Just wish I'd been more into physics back then!

Likes berkeman

1. What are the benefits of learning awesome motorbike skills?

Learning awesome motorbike skills can provide many benefits such as increased confidence, improved balance and coordination, and a sense of freedom and adrenaline rush. Additionally, having great motorbike skills can make you a safer and more skilled rider on the road.

2. How long does it take to master awesome motorbike skills?

The time it takes to master awesome motorbike skills varies depending on the individual's dedication and practice. It can take anywhere from a few months to a few years, but consistent practice and determination can lead to significant improvements in a shorter amount of time.

3. Are there any risks involved in practicing awesome motorbike skills?

As with any physical activity, there are always risks involved in practicing awesome motorbike skills. It is important to always wear proper safety gear and follow safety guidelines to minimize these risks. It is also recommended to start with basic skills and progress slowly to more advanced techniques to avoid injuries.

4. Can anyone learn awesome motorbike skills?

Yes, anyone can learn awesome motorbike skills! It may require more practice and dedication for some individuals, but with proper instruction and practice, anyone can improve their motorbike skills and become an awesome rider.

5. Are there any specific techniques or tips for mastering awesome motorbike skills?

There are many techniques and tips for mastering awesome motorbike skills, but some key ones include starting with the basics, practicing consistently, and seeking guidance from experienced riders or professional instructors. It is also important to stay focused and maintain a positive attitude while learning and practicing motorbike skills.