Can you help me factor the expression x^4 - 15x^2 + 9?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the expression x^4 - 15x^2 + 9 can be factored using a trick of rewriting it as (x^2 - 3)^2 - (3x)^2. This allows for it to be factored as a difference of squares, resulting in the final factorization of (x^2 - 3)(x^2 + 3) - 9x^2. This method is useful in the quadratic equations chapter of the David Cohen textbook and can help with questions involving the discriminant, radical equations, literal equations, and word problems. The speaker also mentions a story involving Bank One in Springfield, MO in 2006 that relates to math and promises to share more details in
mathdad
Factor the expression.

x^4 - 15x^2 + 9

Let u = x^2

Let x^4 = (x^2)^2

u^2 - 15u + 9

Must I use the quadratic formula here or completing the square?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No, we want to use a trick kaliprasad showed us recently:

\(\displaystyle x^4-15x^2+9=x^4-6x^2+9-9x^2=\left(x^4-6x^2+9\right)-\left(9x^2\right)\)

Can you continue?

Can I apply the u-substitution?

Let u = x^2

(u^2 - 6u + 9) - 9u

(u - 3)(u - 3) - 9u

(x^2 - 3)(x^2 + 3) - 9x^2

Yes? No?

Last edited:
RTCNTC said:
Can I apply the u-substitution?

Let u = x^2

(u^2 - 6u + 9) - 9u

(u - 3)(u - 3) - 9u

(x^2 - 3)(x^2 + 3) - 9x^2

Yes? No?

What I intended for you to observe is that:

\(\displaystyle x^4-6x^2+9=\left(x^2-3\right)^2\)

\(\displaystyle 9x^2=(3x)^2\)

And so the expression can be written as a difference of squares, and then factored as such. :)

I will be able to complete the factoring work here thanks to you. Keep in mind that I am now in the quadratic equations chapter of the David Cohen textbook. Lots of interesting questions in this chapter. I will be posting questions in terms of the discriminant, radical equations, literal equations and perhaps a few word problems.

I definitely know more math today since joining this website. Please, remind me to share with you what happened to me at Bank One in Springfield, MO 2006. The Bank One story is related to math and complete embarrassment. Look for a PM from me. I will text 5 general questions today or tomorrow.

Related to Can you help me factor the expression x^4 - 15x^2 + 9?

What does it mean to "factor" an expression?

Factoring an expression means to break it down into smaller parts that can be multiplied together to get the original expression. This is done by finding common factors or using mathematical techniques such as the distributive property.

Why is it important to factor expressions?

Factoring can help simplify complex expressions and make them easier to solve. It can also help find common factors that can be cancelled out, making calculations more efficient. In addition, factoring is an important tool in algebra and is used in many real-world applications.

What are the different methods for factoring an expression?

There are several methods for factoring an expression, including finding common factors, using the distributive property, using the difference of squares formula, and using the quadratic formula. The method used will depend on the specific expression and its structure.

Can every expression be factored?

No, not every expression can be factored. Some expressions, such as prime numbers, do not have factors. In addition, some expressions may have factors that cannot be easily determined or factored using traditional methods.

How can factoring be used to solve equations?

Factoring can be used to solve equations by rearranging the expression into a more manageable form. By factoring out common factors, it may be possible to isolate the variable and find its value. This is especially useful for solving quadratic equations.