Can You Help Solve This Generalized Work Problem with an Illustrative Image?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for (a), (b), and (c) in a physics problem. The speaker has only managed to solve for (a) and provides their solution. They mention being unsure about their solution and not knowing how to solve for (b) and (c). The expert summarizer provides a summary of the solution for (a) and suggests using h1 - h2 in terms of L and theta for (b). They also mention that (b) will have a term for spring energy at maximum compression on the final side. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing gratitude for the help and stating that they now have the answer.
Ced
Homework Statement
A crate of mass(m) is above a ramp of angle theta and a distance(L) from a spring of constant k. The ramp and the crate have a coefficient of kinetic friction(μ)
a.) What is the crate's speed before it compresses the spring
b.) What is the maximum compression of the spring
c.) How far does the box get to its initial distance once it rebounds.
Relevant Equations
I think the relevant equations are
1. Ki + Ui + Wext = Kf + Uf
2. Elastic energy U=\frac{1}{2} k \Delta x^{2}
Here is an image for better illustration,
Capture.JPG

I only managed to solve for (a) but I'm not sure if I did it right. As for (b) and (c), I have no idea how to do it.

My answer for (a):
=> Ki + Ui + Wext = Kf + Uf
=> 0+mgh1-LμmgCosΘ = 1/2mv^2 + mgh2
=>1/2v^2 = gh1- gh2 - LμgCosΘ
=> V = √2g(h1 - h2 - LμCosΘ)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can express h1 - h2 in terms of L and theta. Part b will have a term for the spring energy at maximum compression on the final side.

Likes Ced
Zexuo said:
You can express h1 - h2 in terms of L and theta. Part b will have a term for the spring energy at maximum compression on the final side.
Thank you so much! I got the answer now. You helped me a lot!

1. What is a generalized work problem?

A generalized work problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the amount of work done by a person or machine in a given situation. This type of problem often includes variables such as time, distance, and force, and requires the use of specific equations to solve.

2. How can an illustrative image help solve a generalized work problem?

An illustrative image can help solve a generalized work problem by providing a visual representation of the situation. This can help in understanding the problem better and identifying the relevant variables and equations needed to solve it.

3. What are some common examples of generalized work problems?

Some common examples of generalized work problems include calculating the work done by a person lifting objects, pushing a cart, or using a machine. These types of problems can also involve more complex scenarios, such as calculating the work done by a car engine or a roller coaster.

4. What are the key steps to solving a generalized work problem?

The key steps to solving a generalized work problem include identifying the given variables, determining the relevant equation(s) to use, plugging in the values for the variables, and solving for the unknown quantity. It is also important to pay attention to units and use the correct formula for the given scenario.

5. How can I check if my solution to a generalized work problem is correct?

To check if your solution to a generalized work problem is correct, you can use the equation to calculate the work again, using your calculated values. If the result matches your original answer, then your solution is likely correct. It is also a good idea to double-check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem and solution.