Can You Prove This Infinite Series Inequality?

Ok ... i am understanding a bit now.Actually I'm learning these things on my own so this isn't exactly homework(no teacher help) ... just questions from a book(without solutions:wink:) or any other source.Abdul Quadeer's method was quite nice and it didn't have to use calculus too. ehildI am glad you understand it. It is a pleasure to help. Yes, it is a nice puzzle! I am glad you understood the solution. :)In summary, the conversation discusses different methods to prove the inequality 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/7 + 1/11 + ...... <= 2*pi. One method suggested is using the integral
The legend

Homework Statement

Prove that

1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/7 + 1/11 + ...... <= 2*pi

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

all i could figure out was the nth term of the sequence

[tex]
T(n) = \frac{2}{2 + n(n-1)}
[/tex]

any help appreciated.:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
please give me a starting tip atleast ! :approve:

I do not have any other idea. What have you learned about infinite series?

ehild

Try to approximate the circumference of the unit circle by inscribed polygons.

ehild

ehild said:
I do not have any other idea. What have you learned about infinite series?

ehild

all i know is about diverging and converging GP (infinite) and sum of decreasing infinite GP.

ehild said:
Try to approximate the circumference of the unit circle by inscribed polygons.

ehild

Sorry, but i did not get you in this, and how would it help me solve the question...
the circumference i know is given by 2*pi*r so here it becomes 2*pi..

I have no idea how can you prove this inequality if you studied only GP-s yet. In the integral method I suggested I would find a function which takes the same values as the terms of this progression at positive integers. All terms are positive, so the area under the function from x=0 to infinity is higher than the sum of the areas of the yellow rectangles, which is the same as the sum of the terms from n=1 to infinity , see the picture. But it is rather complicated. You can transform the terms in the progression so they take the form A/(1+z^2 ) and the integral of such function is A(atan(infinity) - atan (0) ) =A pi/2. ehild

Attachments

• progression.JPG
    progression.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 349
ehild said:
You can transform the terms in the progression so they take the form A/(1+z^2 ) and the integral of such function is A(atan(infinity) - atan (0) ) =A pi/2.

ehild

I did get the rest... though this part flew over my head.:confused:
What are A and z^2 and how did the small 'a' come in the integral part?

z is a new variable instead of n, defined as z=(n-a)b, which makes 1/(n2-n+2)=A/(1+z2). You have to find the parameters a and b.

I meant by "atan" the function "arctangent", the inverse of tangent.

You can not use this method without knowing calculus. I just wanted to show a possible way of solution. What did your teacher suggest, how to solve the problem?

I made a mistake in the last formula in my previous post, as A is not the same there as it was in A/(1+z2). It is an other constant, say B.

ehild

I don't know how to use Latex in this.
Click this link

http://codecogs.izyba.com/gif.latex?\sum_{n%3D1}^{\infty}%20\frac{2}{2+n%28n-1%29}%20%3C%202%20\left%281+%20\sum_{n%3D2}^{\infty}%20\frac{1}{n%28n-1%29}%20\right%29%20%3D%204%3C%202%20\pi

Hope you got it now

Last edited by a moderator:
Abdul Quadeer said:
I don't know how to use Latex in this.
Click this link

http://codecogs.izyba.com/gif.latex?\sum_{n%3D1}^{\infty}%20\frac{2}{2+n%28n-1%29}%20%3C%202%20\left%281+%20\sum_{n%3D2}^{\infty}%20\frac{1}{n%28n-1%29}%20\right%29%20%3D%204%3C%202%20\pi

Hope you got it now

Hey, thanks bud!
this is a nice way!

Last edited by a moderator:
ehild said:
z is a new variable instead of n, defined as z=(n-a)b, which makes 1/(n2-n+2)=A/(1+z2). You have to find the parameters a and b.

I meant by "atan" the function "arctangent", the inverse of tangent.

You can not use this method without knowing calculus. I just wanted to show a possible way of solution. What did your teacher suggest, how to solve the problem?

I made a mistake in the last formula in my previous post, as A is not the same there as it was in A/(1+z2). It is an other constant, say B.

ehild

Ok ... i am understanding a bit now.
Actually I'm learning these things on my own so this isn't exactly homework(no teacher help) ... just questions from a book(without solutions:wink:) or any other source.

Abdul Quadeer's method was quite nice and it didn't have to use calculus too.

The legend said:
Abdul Quadeer's method was quite nice and it didn't have to use calculus too.

Yes, it was an ingenious solution!

ehild

Related to Can You Prove This Infinite Series Inequality?

1. What is Proof of a Inequality?

Proof of a inequality is a mathematical process used to show that one quantity is greater than or less than another. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical principles to demonstrate the validity of the inequality statement.

2. Why is Proof of a Inequality important?

Proof of a inequality is important because it allows us to verify the truth of mathematical statements and make accurate conclusions. It also helps to establish relationships between different quantities and identify patterns in data.

3. What are the different methods used for Proof of a Inequality?

There are several methods used for Proof of a inequality, including direct proof, contrapositive proof, proof by contradiction, and mathematical induction. Each method has its own unique approach, and the choice of method depends on the specific inequality being proven.

4. How do you know when a Proof of a Inequality is complete?

A Proof of a inequality is considered complete when all the steps in the proof are logically sound and the conclusion is supported by the evidence presented. This means that the proof must be free of errors and must follow the rules of logic.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when doing a Proof of a Inequality?

Some common mistakes to avoid when doing a Proof of a inequality include assuming what needs to be proven, using incorrect or incomplete information, and skipping steps in the proof. It is important to carefully follow the rules of logic and check for errors throughout the entire process.