Can you recommend some good Java books?

• Java
  • Thread starter Math10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Java
In summary, there are various recommendations for learning Java, such as the books "Thinking in Java" and "Effective Java" which are often praised for their comprehensive and informative approach, while "Head First Java" and "Java for Dummies" may not be as highly recommended. Other resources mentioned include "Android Cookbook" for app development, "Core Java" for a more formal and thorough approach, and "Java Concurrency in Practices" for more advanced topics. It is also suggested to consider the version of Java the book is written for, with JDK 1.8 being the latest.
Math10
Can you please recommend me some good websites for learning Java? Or some books for learning Java? Since I don't have a Mac and I'm using Windows, I want to learn Java in order to develop Android game app. Is the book "Head First Java" a good one for beginners to learn Java? Or would you recommend "Java for dummies"?

Technology news on Phys.org
Hello Android is good for introductory android app development. The Android Cookbook is very useful too as you get into development.

I prefer Core Java over the ones you mention its more formal but very comprehensive. Also the Java Cookbook is great for Java application development with many recipes for common tasks.

I think many app developers use A version of Eclipse with plugins for Android. I have played with using Processing IDE. Bothe require installing the Android Devkit aka ADK. And depending on your test device you'll need to find out how to side load apps to it.

Lastly, there's AIDE that runs directly on your Android device foregoing the need to have a computer for development.

I was just looking into getting a couple books to learn Java and here is a summary of what I've seen on various sites.

Most people were recommending the books "Thinking in Java" or "Effective Java". I don't think I read anyone having anything negative to say about them.

However, I did read replies to avoid the "Head First Java" book. According to those who have read it, it doesn't really teach Java as well, but rather seems to just list different "features" of java, iirc.

Overall, I will be going with Thinking in Java and Effective Java. They seem to be more like textbooks and informative on teaching Java. Head First and Java for Dummies to me seems to be a summed up version of java, imho.

Also look to see what version of Java they are written to. JDK 1.8 is the latest Java and several books have come out with new editions covering the new features in the language.

Murache's Java SE6 by Joel Murach is a reasonably decent book... I learned from it in a course a few years ago...

If you are a beginner, I think that Head First Java is a good place to start.

Head first is awesome for learning. I've known many people who got their start the way. However, I would recommend you follow the book up with "Efficient Java". Then follow that one up with "Java Concurrency in Practices".

1. What are the best Java books for beginners?

Some popular Java books for beginners include "Head First Java" by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates, "Java: A Beginner's Guide" by Herbert Schildt, and "Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckel.

2. What are the best Java books for experienced programmers?

For experienced programmers looking to strengthen their Java skills, some recommended books are "Effective Java" by Joshua Bloch, "Java Concurrency in Practice" by Brian Goetz, and "Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship" by Robert C. Martin.

3. Are there any Java books specifically for learning web development?

Yes, "Head First Servlets and JSP" by Bryan Basham, Kathy Sierra, and Bert Bates is a popular book for learning Java web development. Other recommended books include "Spring in Action" by Craig Walls and "JavaServer Faces: The Complete Reference" by Chris Schalk.

4. Can you recommend any free Java books?

There are many free resources available for learning Java, including "Java for Beginners" by John Purcell and "Think Java: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist" by Allen B. Downey and Chris Mayfield. Additionally, many online tutorials and courses are available for free on websites like Codecademy and Coursera.

5. What are some good Java books for preparing for certification exams?

For those looking to obtain Java certification, some recommended books are "OCA: Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I Study Guide" by Jeanne Boyarsky and Scott Selikoff, "SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Exam 310-065" by Katherine Sierra and Bert Bates, and "OCP: Oracle Certified Professional Java SE 11 Developer Complete Study Guide" by Jeanne Boyarsky and Scott Selikoff.