Can you see stars in South Carolina?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of seeing stars in South Carolina, with the main factors being air quality and light pollution. It is suggested that the individual may need to adjust their eyes to the darkness and find a location with less artificial lighting. They also mention that moving from Boise to South Carolina may have affected their ability to see stars due to differences in humidity and light pollution. The conversation also mentions the impact of a full moon on star visibility and the difference between living in a city versus the countryside.
cragar
My friend lives in south Carolina , and he said even on a clear night he can't the stars
does anyone have some insight ? And he said the air quality is good .

Physics news on Phys.org
If he's just walking out of his house and immediately looking up at the sky, he wouldn't be able to see them because his eyes haven't had time to adjust to the darkness. Tell him to give it up to a half hour for his eyes to become dark-adapted and to be in an area without bright outdoor lighting. If he still can't see them, he may have a vision problem he'll want to have looked at by an ophthalmologist.

he just moved there from boise , and in boise he said he could see the stars no problem.

If the weather is humid, the sky can be cloudless, yet not very transparent. Also, if he just moved, then he's never seen the sky in SC without the full moon in it, which will wash out most stars.

Compared to Bosie there are no stars visible on the east coast.

Does he live in a city, or out in the country?

Maybe the humid air that we have here in SC scatters more light from the moon, streetlights, etc. We've got just about a full moon right now.

ok thanks for the answers people . i think he lives in a city .

Air quality and "light pollution" (as in lots of bright city lights) are the main factors that determine how clearly we see the stars and the night sky in general.

Also it's somewhat a relative perspective. Where I live the night sky and stars are reasonably well visible but never the less when I go away camping far from any large cities (whether it be in the mountains or on the coast) I'm often just amazed at the clarity of the night sky.

Related to Can you see stars in South Carolina?

1. Can you see stars in South Carolina during the summer?

Yes, you can see stars in South Carolina during the summer. However, the amount of stars visible may be less due to the humidity and light pollution in cities.

2. What is the best time of year to see stars in South Carolina?

The best time of year to see stars in South Carolina is during the fall, winter, and spring months when the air is drier and there is less light pollution.

3. Are there any places in South Carolina where you can see a lot of stars?

Yes, there are several places in South Carolina that are designated as "dark sky parks" where the light pollution is minimal and stargazing is optimal. Some examples include Cherry Springs State Park, Table Rock State Park, and Lake Jocassee.

4. Do you need any special equipment to see stars in South Carolina?

No, you do not need any special equipment to see stars in South Carolina. However, using binoculars or a telescope can enhance your viewing experience and allow you to see more details of the stars and constellations.

5. How far do I need to go from the city to see stars in South Carolina?

The distance needed to go from the city to see stars in South Carolina varies depending on the city and its level of light pollution. Generally, the farther away from cities and urban areas you go, the clearer and more abundant the stars will appear.