Can you solve POTW #334 - Dec 11, 2018?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
In summary, POTW #334 stands for "Problem of the Week #334" and is a weekly problem presented by a mathematical organization or community. It was released on December 11, 2018 and has a varying difficulty level, typically designed to be challenging and require critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Anyone can participate in solving it and there may be rewards or recognition given, but the main reward is the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment from solving a challenging mathematical problem.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Let $f,g : \Bbb R \to \Bbb R$ such that $$f(x) = \sum_{n =1}^{\lfloor x\rfloor} g\left(\frac{x}{n}\right)$$ Show that $$g(x) = \sum_{n = 1}^{\lfloor x\rfloor} \mu(n)\, f\left(\frac{x}{n}\right)$$ where $\mu(n)$ is the Möbius function.-----

Remember to read the https://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to https://mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
This week's problem was solved correctly by Ackbach. You can read his solution below.

There is a proof of this on the Möbius Inversion Formula wiki page, but there are a few steps that are lacking in details, so I will add some value there.

First of all, we note that
$$\sum_{d|n}\mu(d)=i(n),$$
where
$$i(n)=\begin{cases}1,&\; n=1\\0,&\;\text{otherwise}\end{cases}.$$

Secondly, we use the Iverson convention that [condition] is the indicator function of the condition, being $1$ if the condition is true, and $0$ if it is false. Also note that we use the convention that if $x$ is a real number, then
$$\sum_{i=1}^xf(i)=\sum_{i=1}^{\lfloor x\rfloor}f(i);$$
that is, the sum is understood to run over integers only, and we round down on the upper end.

Then we expand out the RHS of what we are to prove:
\begin{align*}
\sum_{n=1}^{x}\mu(n)\,f\!\left(\frac{x}{n}\right)
&=\sum_{n=1}^{x}\mu(n)\sum_{m=1}^{x/n}g\!\left(\frac{x}{mn}\right)\qquad \text{(Let $r=mn.$)} \\
&=\sum_{n=1}^{x}\mu(n)\sum_{r=n}^{x}g\!\left(\frac{x}{r}\right).
\end{align*}
Now, we would like to interchange the order of summation, but the problem is that the inner sum currently depends on $n$. If we include the condition $[r==mn],$ we can let the inner sum start at $1:$
\begin{align*}
\sum_{n=1}^{x}\mu(n)\,f\!\left(\frac{x}{n}\right)
&=\sum_{n=1}^{x}\mu(n)\sum_{r=1}^{x}[r==mn]\,g\!\left(\frac{x}{r}\right) \\
&=\sum_{r=1}^{x}g\!\left(\frac{x}{r}\right)\sum_{n=1}^{x}\mu(n)[r==mn] \\
&=\sum_{r=1}^{x}g\!\left(\frac{x}{r}\right)\sum_{n|r}\mu(n) \\
&=\sum_{r=1}^{x}g\!\left(\frac{x}{r}\right)i(r) \\
&=g(x),
\end{align*}
as required.

1. What is POTW #334?

POTW #334 stands for "Problem of the Week #334." It is a weekly problem presented by a mathematical organization or community for people to solve.

2. What is the date of POTW #334?

POTW #334 was released on December 11, 2018.

3. What is the difficulty level of POTW #334?

The difficulty level of POTW #334 can vary depending on the individual's mathematical skills and knowledge. However, it is typically designed to be challenging and requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. Can anyone participate in solving POTW #334?

Yes, anyone can participate in solving POTW #334. It is open to people of all ages and backgrounds who have an interest in mathematics and enjoy solving challenging problems.

5. Are there any rewards for solving POTW #334?

There may be rewards or recognition given by the organization or community that presents POTW #334. However, the main reward for solving it is the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment one gets from successfully solving a challenging mathematical problem.