Inequality of Determinants

In summary, the inequality of determinants is a comparison between two determinant values that is used to determine the consistency of a system of linear equations. It is also closely related to Cramer's rule, which is a method for solving linear equations using determinants. The inequality of determinants is also used to determine linear independence and has various real-world applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let ##M## be a real ##n \times n## matrix. If ##M + M^T## is positive definite, show that $$\det\left(\frac{M + M^T}{2}\right) \le \det M$$

Likes DeBangis21, Greg Bernhardt and topsquark
Physics news on Phys.org
A positive definite matrix can be diagonalized. This transformation, when applied to ##M## and ##M^T##, keeps them transpose of each other. Since now their sum is a diagonal matrix, they are antisymmetric with diagonal. So, we need to show that $$\det D_n \le \det (A_n+D_n)$$
This can be shown by induction. ##\det D_n## is product of its diagonal elements. From the Leibniz formula, we see that the terms of ##\det (A_n+D_n)## contain the terms of ##\det A_n## plus various products of diagonal elements and ##\det A_m## for m<n. All these are non-negative, and one of the latter is the product of all the diagonal elements. Thus, their sum is greater or equal to the product of all the diagonal elements. ##\blacksquare##

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes fresh_42 and topsquark
Hill said:
A positive definite matrix can be diagonalized. This transformation, when applied to ##M## and ##M^T##, keeps them transpose of each other. Since now their sum is a diagonal matrix, they are antisymmetric with diagonal. So, we need to show that $$\det D_n \le \det (A_n+D_n)$$
This can be shown by induction. ##\det D_n## is product of its diagonal elements. From the Leibniz formula, we see that the terms of ##\det (A_n+D_n)## contain the terms of ##\det A_n## plus various products of diagonal elements and ##\det A_m## for m<n. All these are non-negative, and one of the latter is the product of all the diagonal elements. Thus, their sum is greater or equal to the product of all the diagonal elements. ##\blacksquare##
The Cholesky decomposition was my idea, too, but I do not see the induction part. "All these are non-negative" appears to be wrong to me, at least I am not convinced. Applied to the two by two case ##\begin{pmatrix}a&b\\c&d\end{pmatrix}##, it comes down to ##(c-b)^2>0## which does not say anything about ##b## and ##c##, and higher dimensions get even messier. The induction has to be executed in detail, and not by "All these are non-negative".

Likes topsquark
A detailed induction.

Let ##B_n## be a real ##n \times n## matrix such that ##b_{kk} \gt 0## for all ##k##, and ##b_{ij}=-b_{ji}## for all ##i \ne j##. Show that ##\det (B_n) \ge \prod b_{kk}##.

It is true for ##n=2##: ##\det (B_2) = b_{11}b_{22}-b_{12}b_{21}=b_{11}b_{22}+b_{12}^2 \ge b_{11}b_{22}##.

Assume that it is true for all ##B_{n-1}## matrices of this kind.

Make matrix ##B'_n## from ##B_n## by making ##b'_{11}=0##. $$\det (B_n)=\det (B'_n) + b_{11} \det (B_{n-1})$$ where ##B_{n-1}## is made from ##B_n## by removing the first row and the first column in the ##B_n##.

The second term, ##b_{11} \det (B_{n-1}) \ge \prod b_{kk}## by assumption. We need to show that the first term, ##\det (B'_n) \ge 0##. Use induction.

##\det (B'_2) = \det \begin{pmatrix} 0 & b \\-b & c\end{pmatrix}=b^2 \ge 0##.

Assume that ##\det (B'_{n-1}) \ge 0##.

Make matrix ##B''_n## from ##B'_n## by making ##b''_{22}=0##. $$\det (B'_n)=\det (B''_n) + b_{22} \det (B'_{n-1})$$ where ##B'_{n-1}## is made from ##B'_n## by removing the second row and the second column in the ##B'_n##.

The second term, ##b_{22} \det (B'_{n-1}) \ge 0## by assumption. We need to show that the first term, ##\det (B''_n) \ge 0##. Use induction.

Continue this procedure of replacing diagonal elements with 0's one-by-one until reaching ##B^{(n)}_n##. Since it is antisymmetric, ##\det B^{(n)}_n \ge 0##. Thus, ##\det B^{(n-1)}_n \ge 0##, etc. until ##\det (B'_n) \ge 0## and $$\det (B_n)=\det (B'_n) + b_{11} \det (B_{n-1}) \ge \prod b_{kk}$$.
##\blacksquare##

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes fresh_42 and topsquark
That was not what I meant.

Cholesky says ##M+M^\tau =LL^\tau## with a lower triangular matrix ##L## that has positive diagonal elements ##b_{kk}.## Therefore we need to show that ##\prod_{k=1}^n b_{kk}^2 \leq 2^n\det M.##

This is the step that I do not understand. The ##b_{kk}## occur in ##L## but not necessarily in ##M##. Where is the connection between ##M## and ##L## in terms of the determinant of them?

The problem with the sum is transferred to the problem between ##L## and ##M##. That is a mathematical trick, but not a solution to the problem. It is the center of the task. You cannot hide it behind trivialities.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
I do not use Cholesky decomposition, but eigenvalue decomposition of the matrix ##S=\frac {M+M^T} 2##. If I am not mistaken, the real symmetric positive definite matrix can be diagonalized. Let ##S=PDP^{-1}##. Then, $$D=P^{-1}SP=\frac {P^{-1}MP+P^{-1}M^TP} 2=\frac {B+B^T} 2$$
This implies that ##B## has the same diagonal elements as ##D##, and all other elements in ##B## are antisymmetric.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes topsquark and fresh_42
Hill said:
I do not use Cholesky decomposition, but eigenvalue decomposition of the matrix ##S=\frac {M+M^T} 2##. If I am not mistaken, the real symmetric positive definite matrix can be diagonalized. Let ##S=PDP^{-1}##. Then, $$D=P^{-1}SP=\frac {P^{-1}MP+P^{-1}M^TP} 2=\frac {B+B^T} 2$$
This implies that ##B## has the same diagonal elements as ##D##, and all other elements in ##B## are antisymmetric.
Sorry, once on the wrong track (Cholesky) required a wagon-by-wagon help to get back on the right one.

Likes topsquark
Define

\begin{align*}
M_S = \frac{M+M^T}{2} , \qquad M_A = \frac{M-M^T}{2}
\end{align*}

Since ##M_S## is positive definite there exists ##M_S^{\frac{1}{2}}## such that ##M_S= M_S^{\frac{1}{2}} M_S^{\frac{1}{2}}##. Then we can write

\begin{align*}
\det M & = \det (M_S+M_A)
\\
& = \det M_S \det (\mathbb{1} + M_S^{-\frac{1}{2}} M_A M_S^{-\frac{1}{2}})
\end{align*}

We wish to prove ##\det (\mathbb{1} + M_S^{-\frac{1}{2}} M_A M_S^{-\frac{1}{2}}) \geq 1##.

Note ##M_S^{-\frac{1}{2}} M_A M_S^{-\frac{1}{2}}## is a real anti-symmetric matrix. As such it is a normal matrix and can be diagonalised. The eigenvalues of a real anti-symmetric matrix are zero, or are purely imaginary and come in conjugate pairs (i.e. ##\pm i \mu_k## where ##\mu_k## is real). Therefore, ##\det (\mathbb{1} + M_S^{-\frac{1}{2}} M_A M_S^{-\frac{1}{2}}) = \prod_k (1+\mu_k^2) \geq 1##. You get equality, i.e., ##\det M = \det M_S##, when all the eigenvalues are zero.

Likes Paul Colby, anuttarasammyak, Hill and 1 other person
julian said:
Since MS is positive definite there exists MS12 such that MS=MS12MS12.
Would you please refer me to where I can read about this kind of decomposition? Thanks.

P.S. I can prove this specific one to myself, but maybe there is more to it.

Hill said:
Would you please refer me to where I can read about this kind of decomposition? Thanks.

P.S. I can prove this specific one to myself, but maybe there is more to it.
After diangonalization of ##M_s## which has all positive eigenvalues ##\{\lambda_i\}##, ##M^{1/2}_s## is also a diangonal matrix whose eigenvalues are ##\{\sqrt{\lambda}_i\}##.

Last edited:
Likes Hill
Yep. It is possible to diagonalize a real symmetric matrix by a real orthogonal similarity transformation. If ##U^T M_S U = D##, then ##M_S = UDU^T = (UD^{1/2}U^T) (U D^{1/2}U^T) = M_S^{1/2} M_S^{1/2}##.

Last edited:
Likes Hill