Can you solve the four fours math puzzle?

• MHB
  • Thread starter akshay007
  • Start date
In summary, Four Fours is a mathematical puzzle where the goal is to find the simplest expression for every whole number from 0 to 9 using four fours and basic mathematical symbols. This challenge allows for multiple solutions for some numbers, but only one unique solution for others. It is a great way to exercise problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.
akshay007
Four fours is a mathematical puzzle. The goal of four fours is to find the simplest mathematical expression for every whole number from 0 to 9, using mathematical symbols provided to you. Each expression will have exactly four fours with the missing operators in between.
You can also see the high scores. You could be one of the high scorer.

http://www.p2sis.com/educationgames/four-fours/maths-four-fours-game.html

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! I find this mathematical puzzle, Four Fours, quite intriguing. It is always fascinating to see how mathematical expressions can be manipulated to represent different numbers. I would like to share my solutions for each number from 0 to 9:

0 = 44/44
1 = (4+4)/(4+4)
2 = 4/4 + 4/4
3 = (4+4+4)/4
4 = 4+4-4+4
5 = (4+4)/4 + 4
6 = (4+4+4)/4 + 4
7 = 4+4+4-4
8 = 4+4+4+4
9 = 4+4+4/4

These solutions may not be the most elegant or efficient, but they do fulfill the requirement of using exactly four fours in each expression. It is also interesting to note that some numbers have multiple solutions, while others only have one unique solution.

I encourage others to share their solutions and see if there are any other creative ways to represent these numbers using only four fours. I believe that exploring and solving puzzles like this can help improve our problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities. Let's keep pushing the boundaries of mathematical possibilities!

1. What is the four fours math puzzle?

The four fours math puzzle involves using four instances of the number four and mathematical operations to create equations that equal all the numbers from 1 to 100.

2. How do you solve the four fours math puzzle?

There are multiple ways to solve the four fours math puzzle. One method is to use the four fours to create the basic mathematical operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to form equations that equal each number. Another method is to use exponents and square roots to create more complex equations.

3. What is the origin of the four fours math puzzle?

The four fours math puzzle is believed to have originated in the early 1900s, but there is no definitive answer on who created it. It has been popularized by mathematician Martin Gardner in his book "Mathematical Games" and has since been a popular puzzle for mathematical enthusiasts.

4. Can the four fours math puzzle be solved for all numbers?

No, it is not possible to solve the four fours math puzzle for all numbers. Some numbers, like 1 and 2, cannot be created using only four fours and basic mathematical operations. However, with the use of exponents and square roots, it is possible to create equations for most numbers.

5. What is the purpose of the four fours math puzzle?

The four fours math puzzle is a fun and challenging way to exercise mathematical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also demonstrates the flexibility and creativity of mathematical operations and encourages people to think outside the box.