Can You Specialize in Nuclear Physics and Quantum Mechanics in Grad School?

In summary, it is not possible to go to grad school and just study nuclear physics and Quantum mechanics. You need to take them all and demonstrate your knowledge of those fields (and often others as well).
cragar
Is it possible to go to grad school and just study nuclear physics and Quantum mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
no it isn't.

Grad school in the US usually combines the masters and PhD. You spend the first 2-3 years taking the masters coursework (usually 2 semesters each of quantum, E&M, classical, thermo, and math physics, or some combination of those) and more specialized topics courses in your field. Then you need to pass a qualifying exam on those subjects before proceeding to the dissertation to earn a PhD. So no, you can't show up and just take a couple specific classes and earn a degree. You need to take them all and demonstrate your knowledge of those fields (and often others as well).

What course on QM would you take after 2-3 grad semesters of it? What would be the syllabus for such a class that wouldn't just be more appropriately named something else?

After 2-3 semesters of grad QM its time for QFT/Relativity/Critical Phenomena or something else?

ok can I go to math grad school and take my required math classes and then take QM classes for mathematicians

There aren't QM classes for mathematicians. There are only QM classes in physics and chemistry departments. If you want to take a course in QM, study physics or physical chemistry.

I know for a fact their are math programs that teach QM, their emphasis is a little different

cragar said:
ok can I go to math grad school and take my required math classes and then take QM classes for mathematicians

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you aiming for a Master's or a PhD? As mentioned before, you will need to take other course alongside QM. Some departments will allow you take courses outside of the department with consent.

cragar said:
I know for a fact their are math programs that teach QM, their emphasis is a little different

This is true. It is also possible to take a QM from the physics department if the person/people (advisor/dept) approves it.

Ideally I would like to study infinite combinatorics , knot theory, QM, and relativity all at the same place to at least earn a masters

eri said:
There aren't QM classes for mathematicians.
Do you have even a single source to back this up? Take a look at old Caltech courses for some counter examples to this insane claim (e.g. the older ma 148c).

WannabeNewton said:
Do you have even a single source to back this up? Take a look at old Caltech courses for some counter examples to this insane claim (e.g. the older ma 148c).
I suppose if he only means classes which have that exact name otherwise every university I have attended had such a class although under different names.

Related to Can You Specialize in Nuclear Physics and Quantum Mechanics in Grad School?

1. What is the process for applying to graduate school?

The process for applying to graduate school varies depending on the program and university, but generally involves submitting an application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require standardized test scores or a research proposal.

2. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree program?

The length of a graduate degree program can vary depending on the specific program and whether a student is attending full-time or part-time. On average, a master's degree program takes 1-2 years to complete, while a doctoral program can take anywhere from 3-7 years.

3. What is the difference between a master's and a doctoral degree?

A master's degree is typically a shorter program focused on coursework and may require a final project or thesis. A doctoral degree is a longer program that involves more independent research and culminates in a dissertation. Doctoral degrees also tend to be more specialized and can lead to careers in academia or research.

4. What funding options are available for graduate school?

Many universities offer funding options for graduate students, such as teaching or research assistantships, scholarships, and grants. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.

5. Can I work while attending graduate school?

Many graduate students work part-time while attending school, but it is important to carefully consider the workload and time commitment of the program before taking on additional work. Some programs may also have restrictions on working outside of the university.