Can Z decay into a neutral pion?

In summary, The proposed decay of Xi^0 to Lambda + pi^0 would require a strange quark to emit a Z boson and become a down quark, followed by the Z creating an up-antiup pair. However, this process is not allowed at tree level and would require a loop process to change the flavour of the quark. The dominant decay mode for this process is s->u+W, W->anti-u+d, with a branching fraction of >99.5%. Additionally, it is not possible for a Z boson to change the flavour of a quark on its own, as Flavour Changing Neutral Currents are not permitted at tree level in the Standard Model.
center o bass
I wondered if the following decay was possible:
[tex]\Xi^0 \to \Lambda + \pi^0[/tex]

The only mechanism I can think of is that a strange quark of the Lambda particle emits a Z and becomes a down quark followed by the Z creating a up-antiup pair. But I'm not sure whether the strange to up transition (by emission of Z) is allowed. Neither am I sure about the Z to u-antiu pair is allowed. I know that W can decay into an up and a down quark, but do the Z only interact with neutrinos?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://pdglive.lbl.gov/Rsummary.brl?nodein=S023&sub=Yr&return=BXXX030 , this is the dominant decay mode with >99,5% branching fraction.

s->u+W, W->anti-u+d, combine the d with the existing u+s to form the lambda, and use the u anti-u for the pion.

The Z can interact with quarks, but in order to change their flavor with Z emission you need loop processes.

Last edited by a moderator:
mfb said:
http://pdglive.lbl.gov/Rsummary.brl?nodein=S023&sub=Yr&return=BXXX030 , this is the dominant decay mode with >99,5% branching fraction.

s->u+W, W->anti-u+d, combine the d with the existing u+s to form the lambda, and use the u anti-u for the pion.

The Z can interact with quarks, but in order to change their flavor with Z emission you need loop processes.

Thank you for the reply! So the Z can change flavour anyway? I did some research and found this page on hyperphysics which claimed that a Z boson could not change the flavour of quarks.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/particles/neucur.html#c1

Last edited by a moderator:
It is true that a Z cannot change flavour - there are no so called Flavour Changing Neutral Currents (FCNC) - at tree level (i.e. without loops). A source of confusion might be that FCNC processes are permitted at higher order, that is, when loops are included. See the picture at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavor-changing_neutral_current

A Z boson will however, never be able to change the flavour of a quark "on its own". So decays of the type s->Z+d are not permitted in the Standard Model.

1. Can Z decay into a neutral pion?

Yes, Z bosons can decay into neutral pions, which are the lightest mesons made up of a quark and an antiquark pair.

2. How does Z decay into a neutral pion?

Z bosons can decay into neutral pions through the weak interaction, where the Z boson decays into a quark-antiquark pair, and one of the quarks subsequently emits a gluon that creates a neutral pion.

3. What is the significance of Z decaying into a neutral pion?

This decay process is important in particle physics as it provides evidence for the existence of the weak interaction and the Higgs mechanism, which gives particles mass.

4. What are the properties of a neutral pion?

Neutral pions have a mass of about 135 MeV and a spin of 0. They are also unstable particles with a short lifetime of around 8.4 x 10^-17 seconds.

5. Can neutral pions decay into other particles?

Yes, neutral pions can decay into two photons, which is the most common decay mode. They can also decay into a lepton-antilepton pair or other mesons, but these modes are less likely to occur.