Is the Liberal Party's Popularity at Risk in Upcoming Canadian Elections?

• News
  • Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    politics
In summary: If Harper were to win, it would be a disaster for Canada.In summary, the Conservatives are not liked in Canada, and the Trudeau Liberals are not doing well.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Who's watching it?

Who's Canadian?

Who's keeping up on it?

I'm a Liberal for this election for sure, and I feel everything should be done to stop a Conservative (Bush/McCain) majority.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think we need at least one more term of conservatives (but maybe best as a minority), and then we can switch back to a liberal gov't.

And no, I'm not watching it, as I don't get any TV channels.

NeoDevin said:
I think we need at least one more term of conservatives (but maybe best as a minority), and then we can switch back to a liberal gov't.

And no, I'm not watching it, as I don't get any TV channels.

No way!

Are you crazy? I think the Conservatives are way off the mark. I'm willing to settle for a minority Conservative government, but NEVER majority. They are not clear about the agenda at all.

Harper was the president of the Citizens Coalition in the 90's with one of its top priorities was to dismantle the public health care system. To this day, as Prime Minister, he still does not commit to maintain public health care as the model system of Canadians. He only says he will continue to invest current money into it and not necessarily adjust budgets or anything of the like to save it from further deteriation. He chooses his words wisely. You're missing out. The reporter himself and Gilles Duceppe has burned him bad twice. I'm sure Harper wishes he can re-answer those screw ups. (He agreed his policies aren't working well.)

That's why I said it would be best as a minority. I don't think we're ready to have the liberals back in power yet, next election I will probably vote liberal, but for this one I'm voting conservative, and hoping they only get a minority (my riding is something like 90% conservative anyways, so it's not like I'll make a difference either way).

I am Canadian, therefore I never get to vote for a Prime Minister.
I vote for the best person in my area. Not too difficult as we have one smart person and two wannabe's running.

I like the new style of debate, putting the candidates around a table rather than at podiums. They could get fingers in faces this way.

It was interesting to compare to the other debate.
At least this was nearly a debate rather than two people taking it in turn to spout rehearsed soundbites.

One week to go and nobody has impressed me yet.

Canadian politics suck.

I know that I'm not voting Conservative. The incumbent in my riding is a Liberal, but he might have a hard time getting re-elected, not because the federal Conservatives are popular here, but because the governing provincial Liberals are so unpopular.

1. What are the main political parties in Canada?

The main political parties in Canada are the Liberal Party, Conservative Party, New Democratic Party (NDP), Bloc Québécois, and Green Party. These parties hold the majority of seats in the House of Commons and are the most influential in Canadian politics.

2. How is the Canadian government structured?

The Canadian government is a parliamentary democracy with a federal system. It is made up of three branches: the executive branch, which is headed by the Prime Minister and the Cabinet, the legislative branch, which is made up of the House of Commons and the Senate, and the judicial branch, which includes the Supreme Court of Canada and other federal courts.

3. What is the current political climate in Canada?

The current political climate in Canada is highly polarized and divisive. The Liberal Party, led by Justin Trudeau, is currently in power, but faces strong opposition from the Conservative Party and the NDP. There are also ongoing debates and controversies surrounding issues such as immigration, climate change, and indigenous rights.

4. How does the Canadian electoral system work?

The Canadian electoral system is a first-past-the-post system, meaning that the candidate with the most votes in a particular riding wins the seat. Each province and territory is divided into ridings, with each riding electing one representative to the House of Commons. The party with the most seats forms the government, and the leader of that party becomes the Prime Minister.

5. What are the current hot topics in Canadian politics?

Some of the current hot topics in Canadian politics include climate change and the implementation of a carbon tax, immigration policies and refugee resettlement, indigenous rights and reconciliation, and the ongoing debates surrounding the construction of pipelines and natural resource development.