Cancer developing in different RF's

• Thread starter curiousphoton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cancer
In summary, In Feynman's 6 not so easy pieces, in Ch. 4, he discusses the claim made by some medical professionals that cancer develops at the same rate in all reference frames. Feynman disagrees and mentions that this claim is not backed up by scientific articles. He also mentions that it is not surprising for medical doctors to not know much about physics. Feynman then quotes a passage from his book where he talks about how time dilation does apply to the development of cancer, contrary to what these medical professionals claim. The conversation then turns to a discussion about time dilation and its effects on different types of clocks. In the end, Feynman finds the quote he was looking for and the conversation ends with a mention
curiousphoton
In Feynman's 6 not so easy pieces, in Ch. 4 I believe ( don't have the book on me right now), he states:

"There are those in the medical profession who will claim cancer developes at the same rate no matter what reference frame it is in. They are wrong." (Not exact quote).

Obviously they are wrong, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a scientific article that backed up these medical professional's point of view? Just another reason to not trust doctors...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there are medical journals that talk about the time dilation of cancer cells moving close to the speed of light.

Fredrik said:
I don't think there are medical journals that talk about the time dilation of cancer cells moving close to the speed of light.

Yeah didn't think so. I was just wondering why some Medical Professional's claim time dilation does not apply to cancer cells.

Boggles my mind.

(I skimmed chapter 3 (Special Theory of Relativity) and chapter 4 (Relativistic Energy and Momentum) but could not find the quote.)

I wouldn't expect medical doctors to know any more about physics than I would expect physicsts to know about medicine.

It's always possible the doctor(s) quoted are referring to the fact that basic biological processes evolve at a normal rate in that organisms own reference frame...in other words cancer would progress at the same rate relative to other biological processes as observed by the organism...

Last edited:
Naty1 said:
(I skimmed chapter 3 (Special Theory of Relativity) and chapter 4 (Relativistic Energy and Momentum) but could not find the quote.)

I wouldn't expect medical doctors to know any more about physics than I would expect physicsts to know about medicine.

It's always possible the doctor(s) quoted are referring to the fact that basic biological processes evolve at a normal rate in that organisms own reference frame...in other words cancer would progress at the same rate relative to other biological processes as observed by the organism...

I'll find the quote when I get off work tonight.

Feynman specifies the fact that certain claims in the world of medicine state that cancer, and only cancer, develops at the same rate in all RF's.

Original goal with this thread was to find out if anyone knew of any medical journals that claim this.

Or if anyone was friends with feynmen back in the day and knew his doctor.

Found it!

6 Not so Easy Pieces, 1997 Edition, Chapter 3, Page 62, 1st Sentence:

The biologists and medical men sometimes say it is not quite certain that the time it takes for a cancer to develop will be longer in a space ship*, but from the viewpoint of a physicist it is nearly certain; otherwise one could use the rate of cancer development to determine the speed of the ship!

*Why isn't a citation required? Come on Feynman!

Anyone else heard of a related paper or claim? Thanks.

Based on the quote, it sounds like something off-the-cuff. Ie, not something biologists claim in a scientific setting, but rather what one might say in an argument with a physicist over beers.

And Feynman does admit that a cancer may take longer to develop in a spaceship.

Time dilation applies to ideal clocks - like an atomic clock. It does not apply to non-ideal clocks such as pendulums.

atyy said:
Time dilation applies to ideal clocks - like an atomic clock. It does not apply to non-ideal clocks such as pendulums.
It most certainly does, this is the first postulate. Otherwise you could build a device consisting of an atomic clock and a pendulum and determine how fast you were going in absolute space. The only difference is how fast you need to go to be able to reliably detect the dilation.

Last edited:
atyy said:
Huh? Anything with time is affected by time dilation. It's just with a pendulum clock, other factors may be more measurable than time dilation (ie, such clocks aren't accurate enough to notice the time dilation for any time dilation achievable by humans).

DaleSpam said:
It most certainly does, this is the first postulate. Otherwise you could build a device consisting of an atomic clock and a pendulum and determine how fast you were going in absolute space. The only difference is how fast you need to go to be able to reliably detect the dilation.

russ_watters said:
Huh? Anything with time is affected by time dilation. It's just with a pendulum clock, other factors may be more measurable than time dilation (ie, such clocks aren't accurate enough to notice the time dilation for any time dilation achievable by humans).

Well, it should be a clock that is not "directly" affected by acceleration - but a pendulum clock is "directly" affected by acceleration, so it won't be an ideal clock.

I guess it depends on whether Feynman was thinking of an inertial spaceship, or one that accelerated in a version of the twin paradox.

Last edited:
Even a clock affected by acceleration will still time dilate due to velocity, i.e. there will be time dilation on top of whatever acceleration effects exist.

Related to Cancer developing in different RF's

1. What are the risk factors for developing cancer?

There are several risk factors that can increase a person's likelihood of developing cancer, including genetic factors, exposure to carcinogens, lifestyle choices (such as smoking and diet), and age. However, it is important to note that having one or more risk factors does not guarantee that a person will develop cancer.

2. Does exposure to RF radiation increase the risk of cancer?

There is currently no conclusive evidence that exposure to RF radiation increases the risk of cancer in humans. However, some studies have suggested a potential link between long-term, high-level exposure to RF radiation and certain types of cancer. More research is needed to fully understand the effects of RF radiation on human health.

3. Can living near cell phone towers increase the risk of cancer?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that living near cell phone towers increases the risk of cancer. The levels of RF radiation emitted by these towers are well below the safety limits set by regulatory agencies. Additionally, studies have not found a consistent link between cell phone use and cancer.

4. Are some people more susceptible to developing cancer from RF radiation?

Some people may be more sensitive to the effects of RF radiation, but there is currently no evidence to suggest that certain individuals are more likely to develop cancer from exposure to RF radiation. However, individuals with pre-existing conditions or weakened immune systems may be more susceptible to the effects of RF radiation.

5. How can we protect ourselves from potential risks of RF radiation?

To reduce potential risks of RF radiation, individuals can limit their exposure by using hands-free devices for cell phone calls, keeping cell phones away from the body when not in use, and limiting the use of wireless devices in general. It is also important to follow safety guidelines and regulations set by regulatory agencies to ensure safe levels of exposure to RF radiation.