Canonical Basis and Standard Basis

In summary: I'm not completely sure. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful! Hopefully someone else can chime in and give a definite answer. :)In summary, the conversation is discussing the meaning of the term "canonical basis" in the context of an assignment for a graduate-level course. The participants are debating whether the canonical basis is the same as the standard basis, or if it refers to the eigenvectors of a given matrix. They are also considering whether these eigenvectors need to be normalized or if they can be kept in their original form. There is uncertainty about the correct approach, and the possibility of using complex numbers to diagonalize the matrix is also mentioned.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

I have a little trouble understanding what Canonical basis means in the following question. I thought that Canonical basis is just another word for the Standard basis. Hope you people could clarify the difference between these two in the given context. :)

Question:

Find the canonical basis for the orthogonal thransformation \(f:\Re^3\rightarrow \Re^3\) such that \(A_{f,\,B}=\frac{1}{3}\begin{pmatrix}2&-1&2\\2&2&-1\\-1&2&2\end{pmatrix}\), \(B\) being a standard basis of \(\Re^3\).

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:

I have a little trouble understanding what Canonical basis means in the following question. I thought that Canonical basis is just another word for the Standard basis. Hope you people could clarify the difference between these two in the given context. :)

Question:

Find the canonical basis for the orthogonal thransformation \(f:\Re^3\rightarrow \Re^3\) such that \(A_{f,\,B}=\frac{1}{3}\begin{pmatrix}2&-1&2\\2&2&-1\\-1&2&2\end{pmatrix}\), \(B\) being a standard basis of \(\Re^3\).

I'm not sure either, but the only thing I imagine it could mean is the image of the standard basis under the given transformation. I.e. if you have a linear transformation $A : \mathbb{R}^3 \to \mathbb{R}^3$, then the canonical basis for this transformation is:

$$\left \{ A \left [ \begin{matrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{matrix} \right ], A \left [ \begin{matrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{matrix} \right ], A \left [ \begin{matrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{matrix} \right ] \right \}$$

(so it is the standard basis in the coordinate system described by this linear transformation)

Bacterius said:
I'm not sure either, but the only thing I imagine it could mean is the image of the standard basis under the given transformation. I.e. if you have a linear transformation $A : \mathbb{R}^3 \to \mathbb{R}^3$, then the canonical basis for this transformation is:

$$\left \{ A \left [ \begin{matrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{matrix} \right ], A \left [ \begin{matrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{matrix} \right ], A \left [ \begin{matrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{matrix} \right ] \right \}$$

(so it is the standard basis in the coordinate system described by this linear transformation)

Thanks very much for the answer. I guess so too. But the thing is, for a grad level assignment this is too easy which keeps me thinking whether this is what our prof meant. :)

Sudharaka said:
Thanks very much for the answer. I guess so too. But the thing is, for a grad level assignment this is too easy which keeps me thinking whether this is what our prof meant. :)

Yes, that was my thought as well. It likely means something a bit less trivial, but I haven't seen this used anywhere and I can't find anything like it in my linear algebra book... so this was my best guess. Looking forward to other replies (Star)

The word canonical means obvious. Exactly that.
A canonical basis might be the standard basis, but that is unlikely, since they would have just called it the standard basis then.

If the matrix were diagonalizable with real numbers, I would expect it to be the normalized basis of eigenvectors.
However, your matrix is only diagonalizable with complex numbers.
Can it be that you're supposed to diagonalize it with complex numbers?
It would fit with the other problems you have brought here.

Sudharaka said:

Question:

I think we need to find the eigenvectors for this matrix, then we can use them to diagonalize this matrix. But the problem is that I am not sure wether we need to normalize those eigenvectors or not. If we do, it is not easy to normalize them.

I like Serena said:
The word canonical means obvious. Exactly that.
A canonical basis might be the standard basis, but that is unlikely, since they would have just called it the standard basis then.

If the matrix were diagonalizable with real numbers, I would expect it to be the normalized basis of eigenvectors.
However, your matrix is only diagonalizable with complex numbers.
Can it be that you're supposed to diagonalize it with complex numbers?
It would fit with the other problems you have brought here.

Yeah, I think for the moment this is the best assumption that we could make. However the problem with this is that in the problem we are dealing with the real number field and diagonalizing the matrix in complex number field would make our canonical basis not so obvious. Isn't? :p

smile said:
I think we need to find the eigenvectors for this matrix, then we can use them to diagonalize this matrix. But the problem is that I am not sure wether we need to normalize those eigenvectors or not. If we do, it is not easy to normalize them.

I think we need to normalize the eigenvectors. The reason is otherwise it won't be unique. Am I correct ILSe? :)

Sudharaka said:
Yeah, I think for the moment this is the best assumption that we could make. However the problem with this is that in the problem we are dealing with the real number field and diagonalizing the matrix in complex number field would make our canonical basis not so obvious. Isn't? :p
I think we need to normalize the eigenvectors. The reason is otherwise it won't be unique. Am I correct ILSe? :)
Yes, you are right, actually the normalization is not hard.

Sudharaka said:

Since they ask for a canonical basis, I think you can get away with it without normalizing it.
You'd have a canonical basis of eigenvectors.
If they wanted it to be normalized, they should have asked for a normalized basis.

Either way, the problem statement is ambiguous, which is bad in math.
They should know better in my opinion.

I like Serena said:
Since they ask for a canonical basis, I think you can get away with it without normalizing it.
You'd have a canonical basis of eigenvectors.
If they wanted it to be normalized, they should have asked for a normalized basis.

Either way, the problem statement is ambiguous, which is bad in math.
They should know better in my opinion.

Bacterius said:
Yes, that was my thought as well. It likely means something a bit less trivial, but I haven't seen this used anywhere and I can't find anything like it in my linear algebra book... so this was my best guess. Looking forward to other replies (Star)

Thank you ILSe and Bacterius for all the valuable insight that you have provided on this question. It immensely helped me to clarify my doubts. :)

Related to Canonical Basis and Standard Basis

1. What is the difference between Canonical Basis and Standard Basis?

The Canonical Basis is a set of vectors that form the standard unit vectors in a vector space, while the Standard Basis is a set of vectors that form a basis for a vector space. The main difference is that the Canonical Basis is unique and specific to a vector space, while the Standard Basis can vary depending on the chosen basis vectors.

2. How do you determine the Canonical Basis for a given vector space?

The Canonical Basis for a vector space can be determined by finding the standard unit vectors in each dimension of the vector space. These vectors are usually denoted by e1, e2, e3, etc. and form the Canonical Basis for the vector space.

3. Can a vector space have more than one Standard Basis?

Yes, a vector space can have multiple Standard Basis. This is because there can be different sets of vectors that span the same vector space. However, the Canonical Basis for a vector space is always unique.

4. How are Canonical Basis and Standard Basis related?

The Canonical Basis and Standard Basis are related in that the Standard Basis is a subset of the Canonical Basis. This means that the Standard Basis vectors are a linear combination of the Canonical Basis vectors, and therefore can be expressed in terms of the Canonical Basis vectors.

5. Can the Canonical Basis and Standard Basis change?

Yes, the Canonical Basis and Standard Basis can change depending on the chosen basis vectors. However, the Canonical Basis is always unique for a given vector space, while the Standard Basis can vary. Additionally, a change in basis can lead to a change in the representation of vectors in a vector space.